Jeff Bezos keeps Amazon voting power in $35bn divorce settlement

webfact

Jeff Bezos keeps Amazon voting power in divorce settlement

By Jeffrey Dastin and Arjun Panchadar

2019-04-04T173206Z_2_LYNXNPEF331NX_RTROPTP_4_AWARDS-OSCAR-VANITYFAIR.JPG

FILE PHOTO: 89th Academy Awards - Oscars Vanity Fair Party - Beverly Hills, California, U.S. - 26/02/17 – Amazon's Jeff Bezos and his wife MacKenzie Bezos. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok/File Photo

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos will retain voting control of his entire $143 billion stake in the company under a divorce settlement with his wife, MacKenzie Bezos, who will own 25 percent of those shares, the couple said on Thursday, removing uncertainty over control of the online retailer.

The world's richest couple had announced their impending divorce in a joint Twitter statement in January, causing some to worry that Jeff Bezos could wind up with less Amazon voting power or that he or MacKenzie would liquidate large positions.

“It takes the issue off the table, with less turbulence than you might have expected,” said an investor, whose company owns several million dollars worth of Amazon shares but who asked for anonymity because of a firm policy.

MacKenzie Bezos will wind up with a stake in Amazon that is worth roughly $35 billion. Her shares represent a 4 percent stake in Amazon, according to a regulatory filing by the company. The Amazonshares will make her the world's third-richest woman while Jeff Bezos will remain the world's richest person, according to Forbes.

The Bezos tweeted separately on Thursday that under their settlement MacKenzie will give up her interests in the Washington Post, which Jeff Bezos bought in 2013 and which has been a frequent target of criticism from U.S. President Donald Trump, and the rocket company Blue Origin he founded in 2000.

"Grateful to have finished the process of dissolving my marriage with Jeff," MacKenzie Bezos said in her tweet outlining the divorce settlement, the first and only post from an account created this month.

The two did not provide any further financial details about the settlement.

"INFLUENCE WOULD BE THE SAME"

Amazon, the world's biggest online retailer, said in the filing that 4 percent of its outstanding shares would be registered in MacKenzie Bezos' name after court approval of the divorce, which is expected to occur in about 90 days.

Jeff Bezos, whom Amazon listed in its most recent proxy statement as its single largest shareholder with a 16.3 percent stake, will keep sole voting authority over the shares unless MacKenzie donates them to a nonprofit or sells them in the open market.

Amazon shares closed down 0.1 percent at $1,818.86.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-05

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I read somewhere that Mrs. Bezos is now worth more than 70% of the companies in the S&P 500.  So you can imagine what Mr. Bezos is worth.  Freakin Amazon has become a monster.  

It has always been a monster.  Now it is eating up competitors and replacing decent paying jobs with either robots or part time slavery.

• Like 1

When a man reaches the destination on the success road, look at his wife during the journey.

Now that she is no longer with him, let's see how he will fare in a few years with his new  lady s%&&t, (who broke up a marriage).

I used to watch Lauren Sanchez as a news archor on a small TV station back in the U.S. some years back... Easy on the eyes, and perky fun on TV....    But at a cost of THIRTY FIVE BILLION DOLLARS???   You gotta be sh****** me....

Sanchez.jpg.b8c5679920b1935a7918fc9311341a9b.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Some people say she took too much but this was more than fair. As a shareholder I am happy all the voting rights went to Bezos. His wife is a smart lady and doesn't want to damage Amazon out of spite. As far as the Thai wife comments, the Thai would be more likely to be short sighted and take it all. This is a very good deal and shareholders can take a breath of relief.

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I used to watch Lauren Sanchez as a news archor on a small TV station back in the U.S. some years back... Easy on the eyes, and perky fun on TV....    But at a cost of THIRTY FIVE BILLION DOLLARS???   You gotta be sh****** me....

Sanchez.jpg.b8c5679920b1935a7918fc9311341a9b.jpg

You have to realize she was a positive force for Amazon back in the early days when it was an obscure bookseller. There is a chance she actually helped create much of that wealth. 

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

You have to realize she was a positive force for Amazon back in the early days when it was an obscure bookseller. There is a chance she actually helped create much of that wealth. 

I wasn't talking about the value or contributions of the ex-wife at all... Didn't even mention her.

I was talking about the cost to Bezoz of pursuing his NEW thing with Lauren Sanchez, who's pictured above.

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wasn't talking about the value or contributions of the ex-wife at all... Didn't even mention her.

I was talking about the cost to Bezoz of pursuing his NEW thing with Lauren Sanchez, who's pictured above.

Okay sorry. I misunderstood. His original wife is one of the founders of Amazon and was the accountant. 

• Like 1

Nope. Nobody knows or cares who she is. A straggler who waited until a “prime” moment to cash out on a feckless cuckold.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

More proof that marriage and modern women are only out to cash out as quickly as they can. Why would such a wealthy man jeopardize his company with p**sy?

Not that Bezos is a saint, but no woman he was involved with created Amazon into what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You aren't very informed on this matter. Give it a rest just because your wife would steal everything you have doesn't mean that is the case for everybody. This is a deal that is great for all parties. AMZN is up again on the news of this.

• Like 1

You aren't very informed on this matter. Give it a rest just because your wife would steal everything you have doesn't mean that is the case for everybody. This is a deal that is great for all parties. AMZN is up again on the news of this.

I believe someone such as Bezos should have had the foresight to avoid such a situation. but, it’s his 35 billion dollar lesson to learn, and help others avoid similar mistakes.

Also, AMZN rising kinda proves my point, nobody wants such a crazy suka having any say in anything.

1 minute ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

I believe someone such as Bezos should have had the foresight to avoid such a situation. but, it’s his 35 billion dollar lesson to learn, and help others avoid similar mistakes.

LOL and <deleted> are you to say anything? He can offset that loss by the stock price soaring which it continues to do. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

Yes, I am, as I have insulated myself from such contingencies. I don’t brag, but I use such examples as a huge lesson to others.

AMZN will be up to $2,000 in the next couple of months. His wife knows this and it is a consensus that it will reach this point, Both Bezos and his wife will grow their wealth and it is a certainty. She could have had half etc.

8 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

Nope. Nobody knows or cares who she is. A straggler who waited until a “prime” moment to cash out on a feckless cuckold.

Sorry, I don't buy that at all...  The ex-wife was in on Amazon from the beginning with her husband, and worked with him for a long time in developing the company into what it is....

Plus, in this case, she wasn't the moving party at all that triggered all this. It was Bezos and his extra-marital attraction. If he wants to drop his wife for another woman, under the law, there's going to be a price to pay.

Sorry, I don't buy that at all...  The ex-wife was in on Amazon from the beginning with her husband, and worked with him for a long time in developing the company into what it is....

Plus, in this case, she wasn't the moving party at all that triggered all this. It was Bezos and his extra-marital attraction. If he wants to drop his wife for another woman, under the law, there's going to be a price to pay.

Then I invite you to name the initiatives the straggler woman proposed and implemented in her 35 billion payout.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

These people are too ignorant to understand what a great deal Bezos got. His wife will get richer if AMZN continues to climb which it will. Up $18 a share on this news. 

Sorry up $21 a share

Edited by Cryingdick

These people are too ignorant to understand what a great deal Bezos got. His wife will get richer if AMZN continues to climb which it will. Up $18 a share on this news. 

Sorry up $21 a share

That issue (or benefit) is irrelevant to me. but, it does tell me the stock market cheers when a straggler woman has no say in day to day operations of a real business.

7 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

By whom? Bezos, or the woman he pretended had any input into the monster venture that Amazon is today?

You are delusional. As such I am done. Amazon has been doing more than the market based upon news of a good settlement. Bezos runs AMZN and she is smart enough to let it rise. For your information AMZN is on fire and Jeff's wife has benefited from this. I remember buying AMZN 3 months ago at $1,375 and now it is worth $1,839.

They will both become richer by doing this.

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 9.44.11 PM.png

Edited by Cryingdick