Bangkok, NBTC set to move all communication cables underground in 2 years

rooster59

Bangkok, NBTC set to move all communication cables underground in 2 years

Tarin Angskul

7dbda9ed37a0bb61c7f80362b1d97181_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 5 April 2019 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has joined with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission in a campaign to relocate communication cables underground within two years, helping to improve the urban landscape and public safety.

The Governor of Bangkok Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang said the relocation of communication cables to underground is a part of the 20-year, 2013-2032 development plan for Bangkok to improve the city’s urban landscape, with the BMA’s own enterprise Krungthep Thanakom being the project contractor.

The BMA’s cable relocation works is planned separately from the electricity wire relocation plan by the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), as communication cables will be put into a network of 40-centimeter wide tubes 80-centimeters below pavement surface, while the MEA’s electricity wires will be placed 4-meters underground.

The relocation works will start after the coronation ceremonies, and will not affect the general public, said the Bangkok governor.

Krungthep Thanakom will be using world-class Micro Duct technology for underground communication cable tubes along 2,450-kilometers of main and local streets in Bangkok, with construction works divided into four zones, namely northern Bangkok, eastern Bangkok, northern Thonburi and southern Thonburi. Surveys and designs will be conducted ahead of the installation work in May 2019, with the entire project expected to complete in two years.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-06

17 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Surveys and designs will be conducted ahead of the installation work in May 2019, with the entire project expected to complete in two years.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

My piss-taking is based on the fact that the Pattaya project to put anything underground has been going on for years.

Oh, and the very recently announced Phuket project that was to be completed in 'exactly one year', within a month was stated it would be delayed, with the contractor refusing to specify the details.

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me why they need to go at different depths ?
Any right minded country would dig each road up at the same time to halve the disruption and reduce cost.
Yes, I know, we live in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, dcsw53 said:

Can someone explain to me why they need to go at different depths ?
Any right minded country would dig each road up at the same time to halve the disruption and reduce cost.
Yes, I know, we live in Thailand.

The electric cables are at a lower depth for safety and to keep them away from other contractors who may dig up the pavement to access their own plant.

In the UK all the utility companies (gas, water electric, comms) provide this information freely to each other, to avoid expensive and dangerous severing of ductwork and cables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justgrazing

while the MEA’s electricity wires will be placed 4-meters underground.

4 metres .! I'm no expert on these things but that sounds more like mining than trenching

As bluesofa has mentioned most western countries document all underground construction. Where I am from, these are known as “as built drawings” showing location, depth etc . If you are to do any digging in a public area, you must request these drawings from a central agency, which is a simple process of just requesting them online which is a free service.

I would be surprised if Thailand has such a service, or if they have, that they are accurate. As a consequence it would would be a nightmare trenching not knowing where these services are. One way around this problem would to be to bore under these services (at 4m). In the west boring is quite common. In my previous job (underground electrical construction) we use to do it all the time.

When the cables in Lower Sukhumvit were placed underground. I noticed the they were boring in some locations. 

Edited by Bill3173
  • Thanks 2