Reputable document translation service near the US embassy?

Hello,

I am having some difficulty finding a good translation service near the US embassy.  I need to have my affirmation of freedom to marry and divorce decree translated.  There seems to be a lot of translation services near the embassy, but a lot have negative or no reviews online.  I do not want to be take advantage of or receive improper documentation to take over to the MFA and Amphoe. 

Thank you again!

Over the road from the embassy, TSL in the Sindhorn Building 2nd floor. It's the same building as USCIS

Go up the escalator from the main entrance, then they are on the left hand side, a few yards down the corridor.

They did all our translations, and indeed did all subsequent paperwork for my wife's green card application. 

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

What are the fees like there?  What do you think I'd be looking at, for two documents?  The divorce decree and freedom to marry affidavit from US embassy.

I used 'A Language Lover’s Translation Center', they are the first service listed on the list provided by UbonJoe. (post #3). They are located in a large office building about 200 meters from the US Consulate.

They will do the translation(s) and also go the MFA to get the stamp for you. You can pick up the documents in 1-2 days or the will send via EMS for you. I do not remember the cost, but it was reasonable and they did what they said in an efficient manner. This was 3 years ago, but I think it is worth giving them a call.

Cheers!

A Language Lover’s Translation Center (adjacent to U.S. Embassy) GPF Wittayu Tower B, 93 Wireless Road, 1st Floor Phone: 02-650-7900 and 7901; Fax: 02-650-7900

20 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

What are the fees like there?  What do you think I'd be looking at, for two documents?  The divorce decree and freedom to marry affidavit from US embassy.

The Divorce absolute (not decree) is only provided to the Embassy as proof in order to make the 'affidavit'.

The 'affidavit' is then translated to Thai.

It's the affidavit and translation that are legalised by the MFA.

It's possible if early enough, to do the affidavit, get it translated, then take both to the MFA and get them legalised the same day, however you will probably pay an increased fee for same day service at the MFA.

An alternative, as already suggested is to allow the translators office to get the documents legalised at the MFA, then collect, or pay for EMS return to your home address. (This avoids staying in Bangkok longer than necessary).

I paid around 1, 400 for translation, legalisation and return EMS.

Be aware of 'touts' outside the Embassy offering their services (decline) and find your own translation office. The other thing to be aware of is many of the translators offer a number of services, including actually obtaining a marriage certificate and obtaining a new ID card for your wife (your surname).

If they state you need an Embassy certified copy of your Passport and to sign a form purely in Thai (which is actually giving them Power of Attorney), decline it's a rip off.

Walk away if they insist they can't do the legalisation without the above.

The MFA do not require certified copies of your PP.

The Power of attorney and certified copy of your passport are only required for them to register your marriage and obtain a marriage certificate at an Amphoe in Bangkok.

Check first with your local Amphoe exactly which documents they require to register the marriage.

Some do request a certified, translated and legalised copy of your Passport.

Most just require the legalised affidavit and translation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1