Travelling From Bkk To Vietnam - Visa?

Nollie1212

This is for a friend of mine...

She has been in Thailand for a couple of weeks and would like to go to Vietnam next week with her daughter who teaches here (for a week or two). She is from the USA, does not have a plane ticket yet to Vietnam or a visa for Vietnam. My question is, does she have to go to the Vietnam embassy in BKK or can she get a visa or stamp on arrival to Vietnam? How does this work? How long will it take? I believe she will be coming back to Thailand after Vietnam. I would also like to know for myself, I would love to visit Vietnam sooner or later... Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your friend will have to gain a visa before she travels to Vietnam, there is no visa on arrival. She can get this from the Embassy in Bangkok, i actually got mine from the Consulate at Khon Kaen. It took me a day to get mine but i think 2-4 days is the norm. You'll love Vietnam!

Your friend will have to gain a visa before she travels to Vietnam, there is no visa on arrival. She can get this from the Embassy in Bangkok, i actually got mine from the Consulate at Khon Kaen. It took me a day to get mine but i think 2-4 days is the norm. You'll love Vietnam!

Thanks Lesh - I have been reading about getting the visa online - and I have had mixed answers - some sites say you can get visa on arrival, but most say you have to go to the embassy. So I am confused. Also, a friend of mine got the visa on arrival, but this was 10 years ago. I'm sure she will just be better off going to the embassy. Thanks for your help! Anyone else have any tips?

Oh, and Lesh, where is Khon Kaen? We are near Surat Thani (in Khanom).

Defenitely, a visa is needed for US-passport holder(s) and I see a bit of a problem if your friend wants to go next week. March 5 is a public holiday in Thailand and the VN-embassy might be closed on that day.

Visa on arrival is possible, but actually is a strange system. One has to apply in advance to get this and the paper work is more complicated than to just get a visa.

The Embassy is on Wireless Road, just next to Plaza Athenee Hotel.

Khon Kaen is in Isan, some 520 km N/E of Bangkok.

http://www.moohin.com/eng/thailand-loei/