Thai - English Building Terms

khunandy

Hi all,

I thought I would post this handy bit of reference I have been using while building the house, it has been helpful to me and might be helpful to more builders out there.

Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Khun Andy

Thai_Building_words.doc

Thanks Andy

I wish I had all that useful info a year ago! Still its very useful and a good example of the helpfulness of this site and its posters.

Cheers

Dave :o

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Andy I hope you can help

My brother wants to be able to build a bungelow on land owned by the mother of his thai girlfriend

This will be unpaid work

What visa does he need to get so that he can do this without getting into trouble and where does he get it from

He already has a type o non immigrant visa

Many thanks for any advice offered

• 2 months later...

THe problem isn't the visa, but the work permit. I am hoping someone can answer this also. I have a type B visa and although this qualifies me to get a work permit, I may not be able to get one that will allow me to build my own house. Someone help!

• 3 weeks later...

My brother wants to be able to build a bungelow on land owned by the mother of his thai girlfriend

This will be unpaid work

What visa does he need to get so that he can do this without getting into trouble and where does he get it from

If you look on the Visas forum you'll find links to info that tells all you need to know. But the bottom line is this:

There are restrictions on foreigners doing most things that Thais can do (immigration has the whole list) and among the list is carpentry, bricklaying, labouring, etc. Which means you'll not get a work permit to do any of the jobs involved in house construction.

The term 'work' in Thailand includes any activity apart from sleeping, so even if you're building a wall and not getting paid for it - you are classed as 'working' under Thai law. It's a shame really as this has prevented some voluntary workers doing a lot of potential good in Thailand.

Having said that, I'm building a house on land belonging to my wife, and have done a bit myself (including the paperwork like design drawings, etc, but I'm not sure if this is classed as work as I could have done it outside Thailand). So far nobody has bothered me, but then our land really is in the country half-way up a mountain.

So I suppose it depends where you are. But be warned there are very serious implications if you get caught. Unpaid work is still work in Thailand.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

I thought I would post this handy bit of reference I have been using while building the house, it has been helpful to me and might be helpful to more builders out there.

Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Khun Andy

Thai_Building_words.doc

Thank you Khun Andy. My Thai wife and I are just planing to build a home in a small village in Isan.

These handy reference will come in very useful for me , when I talk to the local contractor.

I will keep you posted on the progress of this project.

Thanks. Sundaram

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking for an attorney in Phayao or Chiang Rai to prepare Usufruct agreement and Waiver of property rights for land purchased in Phayao.

Anyone with contacts please advise by email or private message.

Thanks biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...
Hi Andy I hope you can help My brother wants to be able to build a bungelow on land owned by the mother of his thai girlfriend This will be unpaid work What visa does he need to get so that he can do this without getting into trouble and where does he get it from He already has a type o non immigrant visa Many thanks for any advice offered
If you look on the Visas forum you'll find links to info that tells all you need to know. But the bottom line is this: There are restrictions on foreigners doing most things that Thais can do (immigration has the whole list) and among the list is carpentry, bricklaying, labouring, etc. Which means you'll not get a work permit to do any of the jobs involved in house construction. The term 'work' in Thailand includes any activity apart from sleeping, so even if you're building a wall and not getting paid for it - you are classed as 'working' under Thai law. It's a shame really as this has prevented some voluntary workers doing a lot of potential good in Thailand. Having said that, I'm building a house on land belonging to my wife, and have done a bit myself (including the paperwork like design drawings, etc, but I'm not sure if this is classed as work as I could have done it outside Thailand). So far nobody has bothered me, but then our land really is in the country half-way up a mountain. So I suppose it depends where you are. But be warned there are very serious implications if you get caught. Unpaid work is still work in Thailand.
Perhaps I won't cut the lawn this afternoon!
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Andy

Good idea.

Makes me realise it is useful to post a reference for a construction hadbook I use.

The book is originally an american publication which has been translated into Thai.

I found it in an engineering design office. The chief architect there referred it to me for reference.

It is all in Thai but very well illustrated so you can easily identify many items to your Thai builder even if you dont know the words. I dont have the English version and to be honest it would be much better to have both versions if you want to use it best.

However it is exteremely useful considering it is cheap to buy at 350 Baht (2007 price)

The book is published by Se-ed so you can get it easily at their bookstores (try carrefour and some of the other malls some in Tesco lotus also). If they dont have a copy to hand ask them to check other stores for who has. Or just order.

It is titled "BUILDING CONSTRUCTION ILLUSTRATED" BOOK REF ISBN 974-534-820-1

See Attachment post-52259-1219745695_thumb.jpg

regards

jojothai

A couple of years back I bought a English/Thai pictorial dictionay and found it very helpful. Anyway, Andy's post is a great help to may of us. Many thanks, Andy.

This will be unpaid work

If you look on the Visas forum you'll find links to info that tells all you need to know. But the bottom line is this:

There are restrictions on foreigners doing most things that Thais can do (immigration has the whole list) and among the list is carpentry, bricklaying, labouring, etc. Which means you'll not get a work permit to do any of the jobs involved in house construction.

The term 'work' in Thailand includes any activity apart from sleeping, so even if you're building a wall and not getting paid for it - you are classed as 'working' under Thai law. It's a shame really as this has prevented some voluntary workers doing a lot of potential good in Thailand.

Having said that, I'm building a house on land belonging to my wife, and have done a bit myself (including the paperwork like design drawings, etc, but I'm not sure if this is classed as work as I could have done it outside Thailand). So far nobody has bothered me, but then our land really is in the country half-way up a mountain.

So I suppose it depends where you are. But be warned there are very serious implications if you get caught. Unpaid work is still work in Thailand.

i can confirm that you arent supposed to do any work at all regardless of whether you are being paid. i am having a house of my own built in phuket and love getting stuck in helping my staff. after a silly dispute my thai neighbour threatened to call the police to check if i had a work permit. i thought that because it was my own house i was safe BUT i double checked with my lawyers who advised me i cant do any work because i am taking work away from a thai person. This makes me wonder if i can even cut the grass when the house is done or if i need to get a thai to do it?

I also know of a guy who was caught working on his project without a work permit (which you cant get anyway for building work) and he was arrested the same day. He was forced out the country in 5 days and his passport blacklisted. He tried to re-enter and got picked up twice and refused entry. He has so much tied up in thailand but cant even come back to try sell or finalise his dealings. Thats a disaster for anyone....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
whats the thai equivalent of the deep intake of breath and shaking of the head so beloved of builders when inspecting a problem and preparing a quote.

My wifes going to be so pleased with the extra money after I've screwed this falang.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Andy

Good idea.

Makes me realise it is useful to post a reference for a construction hadbook I use.

The book is originally an american publication which has been translated into Thai.

I found it in an engineering design office. The chief architect there referred it to me for reference.

It is all in Thai but very well illustrated so you can easily identify many items to your Thai builder even if you dont know the words. I dont have the English version and to be honest it would be much better to have both versions if you want to use it best.

However it is exteremely useful considering it is cheap to buy at 350 Baht (2007 price)

The book is published by Se-ed so you can get it easily at their bookstores (try carrefour and some of the other malls some in Tesco lotus also). If they dont have a copy to hand ask them to check other stores for who has. Or just order.

regards

jojothai

That's the book by Ching - decades in print and used in architecture schools. I know this would be highly unlikely in Thailand whistling.gif, but does your Thai version look pirated... poor reprographics, etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

Good idea.

regards

jojothai

That's the book by Ching - decades in print and used in architecture schools. I know this would be highly unlikely in Thailand whistling.gif, but does your Thai version look pirated... poor reprographics, etc?

Free download here : http://www.downloadfreepdfbook.com/2010/08/building-construction-illustrated-4th.html

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy

Good idea.

regards

jojothai

Free download here : http://www.downloadf...trated-4th.html

Sorry fed up with seeing your mug, downloading !! Is this download proofed to be any-good and so is it any help. ??

• 2 months later...

• Masonry, carpentry, or other

construction work, as in the following list, are protected occupations.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Handbook

Section 5: Starting a business in Thailand

Page 13

5.6 The Foreign Business Act and restricted occupations

There are two sets of regulations that place work restrictions on foreigners in

Thailand – A

Royal Decree which list occupations closed to foreigners, and a Law which closes certain activities to foreigners.

Restricted occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations that were then closed to aliens. This list has

been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979. Prohibited occupations are:

• Labour

• Work in agriculture, animal breeding,

forestry, fishery or general farm

supervision

construction work

• Wood carving

• Driving motor vehicles or nonmotorised

carriers, except for piloting

international aircraft

• Shop attendant

• Auctioning

• Supervising, auditing or giving

services in accounting, except

occasional international auditing

• Gem cutting and polishing

• Hair cutting, hair dressing and

beautician work

• Hand weaving

• Mat weaving or making of wares from

reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo

pulp

• Manufacture of manual fibrous paper

• Manufacture of lacquerware

• Thai musical instrument production

• Manufacture of nielloware

• Goldsmith, silversmith and other

precious metal work

• Manufacture of bronzeware

• Thai doll making

• Manufacture of mattresses and padded

blankets

• Alms bowl making

• Manual silk product making

• Buddha image making

• Manufacture of knives

• Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication

• Shoemaking

• Hat making

• Brokerage or agency work, except in

international business

• Dressmaking

• Pottery or ceramics

• Manual cigarette rolling

• Legal or litigation service

• Clerical or secretarial work

• Manual silk reeling and weaving

• Thai character type-setting

• Hawking business

• Tourist guide or tour organising

agency

• Architectural work

• Civil engineering work

• Like 1

construction work, as in the following list, are protected occupations.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Handbook

Section 5: Starting a business in Thailand

Page 13

5.6 The Foreign Business Act and restricted occupations

There are two sets of regulations that place work restrictions on foreigners in

Thailand – A

Royal Decree which list occupations closed to foreigners, and a Law which closes certain activities to foreigners.

Restricted occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations that were then closed to aliens. This list has

been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979. Prohibited occupations are:

• Labour

• Work in agriculture, animal breeding,

forestry, fishery or general farm

supervision

construction work

• Wood carving

• Driving motor vehicles or nonmotorised

carriers, except for piloting

international aircraft

• Shop attendant

• Auctioning

• Supervising, auditing or giving

services in accounting, except

occasional international auditing

• Gem cutting and polishing

• Hair cutting, hair dressing and

beautician work

• Hand weaving

• Mat weaving or making of wares from

reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo

pulp

• Manufacture of manual fibrous paper

• Manufacture of lacquerware

• Thai musical instrument production

• Manufacture of nielloware

• Goldsmith, silversmith and other

precious metal work

• Manufacture of bronzeware

• Thai doll making

• Manufacture of mattresses and padded

blankets

• Alms bowl making

• Manual silk product making

• Buddha image making

• Manufacture of knives

• Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication

• Shoemaking

• Hat making

• Brokerage or agency work, except in

international business

• Dressmaking

• Pottery or ceramics

• Manual cigarette rolling

• Legal or litigation service

• Clerical or secretarial work

• Manual silk reeling and weaving

• Thai character type-setting

• Hawking business

• Tourist guide or tour organising

agency

• Architectural work

• Civil engineering work

Surely this is about Prohibited Occupations & Manufacturing ??

Never seen any wording that actually states or includes the prohibiting of foreigners doing some work on their own individual private house or land.

Oh dear !! Have just sewed a button on one of my shirts this morning. whistling.gif

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

When ordering c-pac ready mix concrete does anyone know the name for "waterproof" I told them "ganzum" but they still arent sure what I mean.

I'm not sure either from your description, even in English.

All concrete is "waterproof" (24h+). Do you mean a mix that sets under water? Will you be building the foundations for a bridge or is it just some submerged patio repair during the flood? If it's the latter, just wait until dry and build for a tenth of the cost. whistling.gif

Terms:

ถูก [tùu(k)] = cheap, inexpensive, good

แพง [peen(g)] = expensive, costly, dear

Edited by Morakot
  • Haha 1

When ordering c-pac ready mix concrete does anyone know the name for "waterproof" I told them "ganzum" but they still arent sure what I mean.

I'm not sure either from your description, even in English.

All concrete is "waterproof" (24h+). Do you mean a mix that sets under water? Will you be building the foundations for a bridge or is it just some submerged patio repair during the flood? If it's the latter, just wait until dry and build for a tenth of the cost. whistling.gif

Terms:

ถูก [tùu(k)] = cheap, inexpensive, good

แพง [peen(g)] = expensive, costly, dear

I can assure you concrete IS NOT waterproof.

What I want is to add a waterproof mixture whilst the concrete is being READY mixed ie by Cpac.

There is a name for it ,its something like "naam ganzum"

Taken from C pacs website but no Thai and when I called my local supplier , got vacant look even when the wife said same swimming pool concrete

CPAC Waterproof Concrete

Characterized by low water permeability, CPAC Water Proof Concrete is designed for structures in direct contacted with water or structures required waterproof treatment such as swimming pool, water tank, tunnel, underground structure .

http://www.tarmac.co..._-_what_is.aspx

EDIT could it be this คอนกรีตกันน้ำ

OK FOUND IT

post-164799-0-03600000-1348970435_thumb.

Edited by rattler

The power of advertisement!

most plant-batched concrete will contain water in excess of that required to simply hydrate the cement.

You're basically looking at different levels of high quality special purpose concrete, achieved with various additives and rigours quality control. Needless to say, unless you run your own lab to achieve such high levels for your own ready-mix batch would be fantastic.

post-155923-0-37097600-1349060930_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

The power of advertisement!

most plant-batched concrete will contain water in excess of that required to simply hydrate the cement.

You're basically looking at different levels of high quality special purpose concrete, achieved with various additives and rigours quality control. Needless to say, unless you run your own lab to achieve such high levels for your own ready-mix batch would be fantastic.

Cpac will add this at source when mixing and provide a delivery note with all this info on, I add it into footings and below ground level concrete and poured on ground floors.

Its also used primarily in swimming pools which is why they sell it.

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy

Good idea.

regards

jojothai

That's the book by Ching - decades in print and used in architecture schools. I know this would be highly unlikely in Thailand :whistling:, but does your Thai version look pirated... poor reprographics, etc?

Free download here : http://www.downloadfreepdfbook.com/2010/08/building-construction-illustrated-4th.html

Looks like it's been made unavailable via that link?