Foreign Minister Don reminds diplomats not to meddle in judicial affairs

webfact

Foreign Minister Don reminds diplomats not to meddle in judicial affairs

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6HLHfDP409eJWWpOXyC7I5BT

The Thai Foreign Ministry is considering inviting representatives of the foreign diplomatic corps in Thailand to be reminded of protocols and practices that should be observed.

The ministry’s move follows the presence of a group of foreign diplomats at Pathumwan police station last Saturday when Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit reported to acknowledge charges against him for offences allegedly committed four years ago. The presence of the diplomats has been widely criticized as interference in Thailand’s judicial affairs.

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said today that foreign diplomats could not get involved in Thai judicial affairs unless the suspect is a citizen of their countries, adding that no country would allow foreign envoys to meddle in the judicial affairs of the host country because it is against UN protocols.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/foreign-minister-don-reminds-diplomats-not-to-meddle-in-judicial-affairs/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-04-09

No matter on which side one is, or which colour your shirt is....a farang diplomat should mind his business and fully refrain from internal political meddling in any country. And this includes Thailand.

Far to many nations, obvious ones as the USA, Israel, France, Russia etc. etc. have been making trouble all over the world for centuries.  So boys, mind your own business, clean up your own messy countries and leave Thai internal politics alone.

And this is also valid for the farangs/foreigners in Thailand.

Gentlemen, keep yer mouths shut, do not meddle in internal political.  Leave your arrogance, condescendance or xenophobia back at home weather it's against the Thai politics or other foreigners,  in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Are you posting on the correct forum? this is TVF, we are arrogant, condescending & xenophobic, we can to a man do a better job that they of running the show ????

We also like to bitch and argue a lot & again to a man, we are always correct - never admitting defeat even when faced overwhelming facts! 

20 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No matter on which side one is, or which colour your shirt is....a farang diplomat should mind his business and fully refrain from internal political meddling in any country. And this includes Thailand.

Far to many nations, obvious ones as the USA, Israel, France, Russia etc. etc. have been making trouble all over the world for centuries.  So boys, mind your own business, clean up your own messy countries and leave Thai internal politics alone.

Gentlemen, keep yer mouths shut, do not meddle in internal political.  Leave your arrogance, condescendance or xenophobia back at home weather it's against the Thai politics or other foreigners,  in Thailand.

For diplomats I disagree. Its called diplomacy for a reason. And any citizen in most countries when summoned report to police with supporters or legal aide. FM Don P is p!ssed as Juangroongruangkit was one step ahead of his slow thinking plods and made the issue intetrnational. 

It's funny how 10 nations and two international organizations decided independently to send observers to this police farce. OK, maybe a few diplomatic phone calls were made to see what everyone was doing that morning after coffee. 

Donny Baby, keep doin' yo' shit man. The more you play the fool, the more them foreign governments will become interested in the cockup that happened on 24 March. Go baby, go. You doin' so well man. 

39 minutes ago, Roadman said:

For diplomats I disagree. Its called diplomacy for a reason. And any citizen in most countries when summoned report to police with supporters or legal aide. FM Don P is p!ssed as Juangroongruangkit was one step ahead of his slow thinking plods and made the issue intetrnational. 

I humbly may think that there is a difference between consular assistance and a Ambassador or diplomat in a foreign country, going in the field and openly giving political support to an opponent, just released from of a police station.

And should one not agree, fine, but in that case many western nations would also deserve to have neutral diplomat observers, point a finger at their rather questionable internal policies.

47 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I would therefore recommend that you delete your own post for fear it's very contents contradict the politics it seeks to support. 

I must admit that I was very surprised indeed when these representative from international agencies/ nations turned up with Thanathorn (it proves to me that he has potentially valuable friends in high places). I was delighted  -  as it could well have curbed some junta excesses (if T. had been alone). I wonder if the reps will also be present before the military tribunal? I should think not.

To be fair (although I don't relish being fair to a military junta), it is rather out of line for diplomats to accompany a citizen to the police when he is not from one of their respective countries. Strictly speaking (according to the letter of the law), what the police have to say to Thanathorn (a Thai - not an Englishman, or Frenchman, etc.) is really not much of their business.

HOWEVER, since the whole concept of 'law' is utterly meaningless in Thailand and daily has mud flung all over it by the rulers here, and since there are higher ETHICAL issues involved in this whole situation, I personally was and am only too pleased to see the diplomats getting off their backsides for once and standing up for genuine human rights and justice.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I humbly may think that there is a difference between consular assistance and a Ambassador or diplomat in a foreign country, going in the field and openly giving political support to an opponent.

And should one not agree, fine, but in that case many western nations would also deserve to have neutral diplomat observers, point a finger at their rather questionable internal policies.

Not a chance. The diplomats are just showing there support for the incoming government. Very common for a government to congratulate and support incoming members of a new government. 

57 minutes ago, CGW said:

Are you posting on the correct forum? this is TVF, we are arrogant, condescending & xenophobic, we can to a man do a better job that they of running the show ????

We also like to bitch and argue a lot & again to a man, we are always correct - never admitting defeat even when faced overwhelming facts! 

You are so right and I am wrong sorry..... I am a big mouthed superhero behind my computer, but do become a docile goat in real life. ????

P.s. Wow....was not expecting so many chain reactions from my initial post at the start of the thread. I am flattered with all the lovely nice attentions -  thank you all and case closed for me here as it's time to take a dip in the pool ????

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

he was at the police station to face charges..

But that is the cultural norm here. Whenever anyone goes to the police station people turn up to support them. 

The diplomats were being culturally appropriate and sensitive. 

18 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

There's is a time and place to voice concern but this wasn't neither. I, for one, will be sending a letter to my representative back home that this type of behavior is neither helpful nor wanted.

One of the most sensible and wise things here today. You are right, as if foreign diplomats make a public show that attracts hostility here, the local authorities could take it out and target the farangs from that nation, say on visa issue hassles are very easy to make up overnight.

15 minutes ago, jonclark said:

But that is the cultural norm here. Whenever anyone goes to the police station people turn up to support them. 

The diplomats were being culturally appropriate and sensitive. 

That group photo with the diplomats and Thanathorn in front of the police station was needed for culture correctness. 

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

That would make Thaivisa very boring!

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

There's is a time and place to voice concern but this wasn't neither. I, for one, will be sending a letter to my representative back home that this type of behavior is neither helpful nor wanted.

It was exactly the right place and exactly the right time.

The only disappointment is that there were not many more diplomats present.

The situation in Thailand is heading towards bloodshed and death (again).

I'm sure the involved diplomats would rather the rantings of a few selfish extremist posters and letter writers than have to explain to the general population why they did nothing when they could of done something to perhaps help avert the deaths of many of Thais when this thing arrives at the point it was always heading to.

Bloody-May-1992.png.7d3273dace1cf0d940a662a104a3e556.png

Bloody May 1992

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

And I suspect you letter will be treated with the utmost sincerity just prior to being filed. In the nearest trash can.

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It's funny how 10 nations and two international organizations decided independently to send observers to this police farce. OK, maybe a few diplomatic phone calls were made to see what everyone was doing that morning after coffee. 

It is quite possible that the 10 nations whose diplomats "oserved" Thanothorn attending the police station had concerns that an opposition politician, with a significant amount of electoral support was vulnerable to summary detention if no interest was shown.

Foreign diplomatic missions are often quite well briefed.

Experience with the Myanmar junta showed that foreign interest was central to at least one opposition leader remaining, relatively, undetained.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

One of the most sensible and wise things here today. You are right, as if foreign diplomats make a public show that attracts hostility here, the local authorities could take it out and target the farangs from that nation, say on visa issue hassles are very easy to make up overnight.

No amount of brown nosing among the farang junta fanbois on online forums will make any difference in that regard. They aren't interested in us, regards of our opinions.

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

No amount of brown nosing among the farang junta fanbois on online forums will make any difference in that regard. They aren't interested in us, regards of our opinions.

You are so very right Sir. (if I may brown nose you also a bit please????...but my nose is blocked so ok).....

Definately they don't care of us here...but they do care on how our diplomats behave in Thailand (as they even issued a public warning).  So if our foreign service lads start to piss of the local governance,  by logic, it may not be good for us, as some could take it out on the nationals of the nations whose diplomats are considered interfering in internal affairs.  Lex Talionis ? .... Tit for tat ?  these words should ring a bell ?  One can never be to careful on the collateral dammage in these situations, if I may.

Of course all this I M H O , naturally.

Archived