Street triple question

Can samui

I can't speak of first hand experience but my cousin did a few rides from England to southern Europe on a Street Triple. Took him 3 days I think. Alone and without too much luggage I might add. He didn't mention that it was a torture but then again, if you are in your thirties and don't have much choice then anything is possible ????

Long rides on any kind of bike will make you want to kill your self, until you get use to it. Lots of rides say 2 hours will get your bum into shape. Lift weights run a bit it is a job sitting on a bike all day

4 hours ago, Can samui said:

Triumph Street of has past experience with them could anyone provide any insight into its comfort for longer rides, around 4-5 hours in a day.

Go for it good bike my mate fitted a screen didn't look silly made a difference at speed.

If you gonna cruise most of the time you get use to a naked bike ride. 

Doing 4 - 5 hrs at a time is OK if your younger, me at over 70 do it sometimes still but stop for breaks, I like 3 - 4 hr day rides or just more stop overs now.    

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 10:08 AM, jackdd said:

4-5 hours riding time in a day?

Possible for sure if you have to, but that's just not something you want to do on a naked bike.

If you plan to do this regularly you should get a cruiser or adventure bike

Jeez, not again.

Don't forget to add a windshield, keep all those flies and nasty muck at bay.

Even better, a full fairing.

Then you can fit a stereo system.

Oh, and make sure you have a full face helmet.

Make sure the touring togs have a hi-viz stripe too, better still a hi-viz vest.

Ok, now you're ready for 4-5 hours riding time in a day.

To the OP,

go for it, prolly a great choice.

Some of the older 675 models on the Kaidee etc for great prices.

A cheapo tankbag and a cheapo pair of throwover panniers and you are good to go.

Don't listen to the naysayers, if i don't hear, see, smell, feel all the stuff around me, and my senses are'nt being fulfilled whilst riding a motorcycle, i'd stop riding and might as well be in a cage.

A full touring windscreen, armchair comfort or full fairing for 5 hours riding sounds like punishment and a lack of enjoyment.

Is it cold out there? Dunno, heated grips are working nice.

Is it hot out there? Dunno, got the aircon on full blast.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a 2009 Street Triple for 3 years. Great bike.

Never did long journeys on it and it had a small screen and headlight cowl that offered minimal protection.

Brilliant bike for blasting about on.

Not sure about 5 hour rides though.

The younger you are the less you care about comfort.

I rode on my SR500 down to Spain from DK and back again in 1984, had a blast, 8-10 hours in the saddle every day until we got there.

Today is a different matter, did 225km one day on my XSR, can do more if needed but doubt I will want do more than 500km a day on it. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point. 

Stopping a lot helps, have something alcohol-free to drink; tea or coffee and perhaps a smoke and you are good to go for another hour or 2.

Buying a full decked touring bike just because you do a couple of trips per year is overkill, BMW R1200GS springs to mind.

Archived