Did we have the best of times?

ivor bigun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been thinking about this thread and my and other posts and perhaps there is another angle to this.......

Just over the last few days a couple of friends from the UK have been in touch, and they were both at my schools and both born in 1947 (same as me) and we shared very much the same views as I detailed in my post, and others have done; that being that they were the best of times!

But that got me thinking about those times, and looking back now, they were quite possibly the best of times because "we didn't have a care in the world, with mummy and daddy just standing by" (thank you Don Henley) as we had no worries really apart from what time we had to be home for tea or dinner (never for me if it was the usual mix of my family's favourite poor food which was turnips, swedes and parsnips, all of which I hated) and if it was raining when we were going to walk to school, because my shoes had holes in them.

We didn't have to worry about money, rent, mortgages, cars, insurances or where the next penny was coming from, because it always seemed to be there, or wasn't as the case may be, and I remember feeling so sad that I was having to lie to the rent man when he came round knocking on the door, telling him that my mum wasn't in, when she was in fact hiding behind the curtain! I absolutely hated that.

Anyway I digress but what I'm trying to say is we didn't have all of the worries that grown-ups did and if anything was happening anywhere else in the world, we really didn't care as long as we could play in the fields and explore in the forests and so on.

Once you get past a certain age and take on responsibilities and realise that money is necessary to get on, then the "End of the Innocence" is upon us, and I did refer to the song by Don Henley, and irrespective of his political leanings, that song does encapsulate a lot of what folk go through as they are growing up.

As for our children and children's children, well who knows, because it may be just a cycle which repeats itself, and they may well be able to look back at "having the best of times".

I have been thinking about this thread and my and other posts and perhaps there is another angle to this.......

Just over the last few days a couple of friends from the UK have been in touch, and they were both at my schools and both born in 1947 (same as me) and we shared very much the same views as I detailed in my post, and others have done; that being that they were the best of times!

But that got me thinking about those times, and looking back now, they were quite possibly the best of times because "we didn't have a care in the world, with mummy and daddy just standing by" (thank you Don Henley) as we had no worries really apart from what time we had to be home for tea or dinner (never for me if it was the usual mix of my family's favourite poor food which was turnips, swedes and parsnips, all of which I hated) and if it was raining when we were going to walk to school, because my shoes had holes in them.

We didn't have to worry about money, rent, mortgages, cars, insurances or where the next penny was coming from, because it always seemed to be there, or wasn't as the case may be, and I remember feeling so sad that I was having to lie to the rent man when he came round knocking on the door, telling him that my mum wasn't in, when she was in fact hiding behind the curtain! I absolutely hated that.

Anyway I digress but what I'm trying to say is we didn't have all of the worries that grown-ups did and if anything was happening anywhere else in the world, we really didn't care as long as we could play in the fields and explore in the forests and so on.

Once you get past a certain age and take on responsibilities and realise that money is necessary to get on, then the "End of the Innocence" is upon us, and I did refer to the song by Don Henley, and irrespective of his political leanings, that song does encapsulate a lot of what folk go through as they are growing up.

As for our children and children's children, well who knows, because it may be just a cycle which repeats itself, and they may well be able to look back at "having the best of times".
Well,yes i had great times when young with no cares but my 20s in the swinging 60s in London were fab,i admit i mixed with some well known people ,but then they were just like us ,unlike now with minders etc ,then my 30s were good as well houses were not so expensive ,just looked up a house i paid 4250 for , now its 455,000 pounds ,shit!!wish i had kept it,work was plentiful and my wages were good ,yes times were great,mind you they are not to bad now.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived