Did we have the best of times?

ivor bigun

I look at young people today and they seem to live their lives through social media,it rules them ,in fact it seems to rule even older people.They seem to think that the world owes them and they "must have" stuff,back in Britain much of it seems overun by immigrants who just do not want to integrate but bring their very often crap lives with them . Everything is so PC and your afraid to voice your opinions ,

When i was growing up ,life was fun and exciting ,we went out exploring ,i was i suppose quite lucky that my familly although far from rich were not badly off,so i never went without.

We did not expect to have everything straight away and it was fun getting new things,am i just seeing life through rose tinted spectacles or was it better?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you decide to make a bigoted post on social media? The immigrants who you claim Britain is "overun" by have their own lives you think it is not exciting or fun for them now? They are not afraid to voice their opinions neither should you. "Time and Tide waits for no man" there is no way to go back I think the best days for most people are yet to come.

4 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

So you decide to make a bigoted post on social media? The immigrants who you claim Britain is "overun" by have their own lives you think it is not exciting or fun for them now? They are not afraid to voice their opinions neither should you. "Time and Tide waits for no man" there is no way to go back I think the best days for most people are yet to come.

If your iPhone battery copes...:whistling:

I have to agree with the OP. In Australia, part-time employment, massive student debt and housing which will need a 40 -year mortgage seems to be what the young have to face up to.

When I started work, I applied for five jobs and had job offers from three companies. My part-time study for a tertiary qualification was paid by the company I worked for. In my twenties, I went to a remote part of Australia to work, bought a house in Melbourne, and had the mortgage paid off in eighteen months. My knowledge in my chosen field of work is obsolete now, however, it paid very well when I was working.

I consider I worked in a golden age. Owning your home outright and achieving financial independence is just a dream for many now. Perhaps social media is the modern escapism.

Ooh,how old are you? Not a snowflake are we? Well dont know where you live but the town i come from in the UK these days looks nothing like it did in the 60s(although i went to swinging London" ) it now looks like another country,where i can tell you many parts you would not want to go to especially at night.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

I think every generation reflects on their youth and asks the same question. Todays youths will probably say the same when they retire.

For sure, today how comfy mums sofa is whilst being waited on.... ????

17 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

When i was growing up ,life was fun and exciting ,we went out exploring ,i was i suppose quite lucky that my family although far from rich were not badly off,so i never went without.

I see Thai young having not such a good future for work and living unless born into money.

A bit of what you say here was much the same for me I lived in a UK good time and lucky but had to work hard for it.

My grown up UK children can't afford mortgaging a house where they work and where they could afford one there's no work. 

As for UK immigrants who just do not want to integrate of that what I've seen has always been the case.

I don't see social media as a ruling fact at all, even as an older person, I still have a choice. 

I don't think the best days for most people are yet to come at all unless they get lucky, there's too many of em.

Robotics will make it worse.

My Grandparents danced to classic and waltz,

my Parents danced to Rock n' Roll

they moaned that I shy the cat away with Motorhead (No sleep till f***ing Hammersmith),

my kids listen to some kind plastic music and I moan that is no art

...life goes on, even I changed enjoyed some Bad Manners Sound the other day and prefer to hang around at home.. 

Oh yes, there is one thing: Leo gives me headache now after 6 Bottles.. 

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

unappreciative punks never had to walk to school, in the snow, uphill.  Both ways! 

I had to laugh when I read this, because I really did have to walk a few miles and back to school when it snowed.  We never complained- because we figured that's just the way it is.

As you get older- you have already been through the good, the bad and the ugly. Today, most young people have only felt the good- have not yet seen the bad or the ugly and I wish none of on them. 

Social media maybe a good thing to have around as it does allow people to connect instantly in times of  stress or personal issues.  However, not for me-  My telephone is just a phone- if I want to talk to you- I will call- no messages no facebook. i don't care what you ate last night and I sure as hell hope you don't car what I ate.

IMHO- you can trace most of the World's problems back to uneven  distribution of wealth; a lack of education or trying to force someone else to believe  your religion.

If the human race is to survive and prosper- it better stop it's greed; stop it's bigotry and stop getting into someone else's business.

My father used to always say- be careful of accountant; lawyer's; politicians or the clergy.  As i have gotten older- he may have had a point.

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

When i was growing up ,life was fun and exciting ,we went out exploring

So why can't you do that now?  You might be older and it might not be like the days of yore but it can be done.  Older generations have been lamenting upcoming generations since the dawn of time.  Not to worry  . . . . 

So why can't you do that now?  You might be older and it might not be like the days of yore but it can be done.  Older generations have been lamenting upcoming generations since the dawn of time.  Not to worry  . . . . 
Life is fun now,great fun ,but i am talking about being young ,now its so much harder ,jobs were plentiful then ,lose one get another ,housing wad cheaper,i had a fantastic bedsit in the best area in London ,cost me a fifth of my wages ,try that now,we got out and about ,not stuck looking at our phone sending pics of what we eat ,following some "influencer"
If todays youth look back and say how good it was ,god only knows how bad it will be.

Ooh,how old are you? Not a snowflake are we? Well dont know where you live but the town i come from in the UK these days looks nothing like it did in the 60s(although i went to swinging London" ) it now looks like another country,where i can tell you many parts you would not want to go to especially at night.

I’m around 50 and come from America. Everything decent in America comes from immigrants and the town I grew up in was an asylum of boredom with cow ranchers one 7/11 and one Dairy Queen in the 1970s.(Plus the normal stuff). You should know and it was normal for me to be called boy and nigger up to the 80s. I live in Thailand and elsewhere but now they have South Indian Vegetarian restaurants Korean Soft Tofu, Whole Foods, high tech campuses and a midweek room at the ALOFT might be $600 USD when there is a tech conference. InshaAllah thanks to immigrants! Sounds like you are past your sell date ivor, time to relax

And enjoy your winnings!

It is alot harder for kids now than it was in the 70's 80's and 90's even.

All work in Australia is part time so they have 3 jobs and total 18 hours per week. They will have no superannuation at 60, they will not own a house because they house prices are so high and they cannot even save enough for the deposit so forget any dream home.

6 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Explore in 2019...........package tour to Kilimanjaro or Pattaya.......

It is alot harder for kids now than it was in the 70's 80's and 90's even.
All work in Australia is part time so they have 3 jobs and total 18 hours per week. They will have no superannuation at 60, they will not own a house because they house prices are so high and they cannot even save enough for the deposit so forget any dream home.

They can Buy themselves a home in Longreach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m around 50 and come from America. Everything decent in America comes from immigrants and the town I grew up in was an asylum of boredom with cow ranchers one 7/11 and one Dairy Queen in the 1970s.(Plus the normal stuff). You should know and it was normal for me to be called boy and nigger up to the 80s. I live in Thailand and elsewhere but now they have South Indian Vegetarian restaurants Korean Soft Tofu, Whole Foods, high tech campuses and a midweek room at the ALOFT might be $600 USD when there is a tech conference. InshaAllah thanks to immigrants! Sounds like you are past your sell date ivor, time to relax
And enjoy your winnings!
Well i have a very good black friend and i have never and would never call him nigger,nor would anyone i know say it. So as you have had to put up with that in the "boonies" in America,you would have not had a good childhood.
As for "immigration" there is a vast difference between exploring the world hundreds of years ago and setteling a new land ,and going to another country now in the modern world and not integrating but taking you middle ages lifestyle with you.
But then you must have a different outlook on life , to us people who grew up in "decent"surroundings.

Archived