Julian Assange arrested by British police at Ecuadorean embassy

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Once again someone calls out the left for hypocrisy but not the right. Do you have the slightest recall of now the right regarded Chelsea Manning and his revelations about how the US lied about what it was up to in Iraq? Assange's offer of help to Manning is what he is currently being charged for?

"Once again someone calls out the left for hypocrisy but not the right."

I agree with this part of your post - which is why I hate these left/right accusations.

‘UK, you are America’s b****’: Pamela Anderson launches scathing tweetstorm following Assange arrest

As the world digests the shock news that Julian Assange is in custody in Britain after Ecuador withdrew asylum from the WikiLeaks founder, Pamela Anderson, a staunch supporter of the Australian, has let her feelings be known.
The Baywatch star unleashed a barrage of criticism at the UK, Ecuador and the US in the aftermath of Thursday’s dramatic arrest, which saw 47-year-old Assange carried out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London into a waiting police van.

• Haha 1

Julian Assange is no more a journalist than the Russian GRU is a journalism organization.  Assange is a hacker who targets the US and works with Russia.

Or perhaps you think Russia, China, and other world powers have no dirty secrets to expose, only the US.  That would explain why Assange never targets them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

America, the United States, with all its initial prejudice and lethal screw-ups, was founded as a place where people could direct their own lives without having to fear any other party, let alone a government, that would stand in their way while they did it. And a big part of not having to fear one’s government is not having to fear that government purposely lying to its citizens. The Founding Fathers, for all their faults, got that right. And today erases all of that in one fell swoop.

America is no more. Or it is no longer what they tell you it stands for, whichever comes first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

Don't these events make it make clear that Assange initially fled Sweden because he knew the rape charges were legitimate and he would be convicted?  Not, as he claimed, because he feared extradition to the US. 

After being charged with rape in Sweden Assange fled to England.  When Sweden attempted to have him arrested in England, Assange fled to the Ecuadorian Embassy, claiming the rape charges were really a ploy to have him extradited to the US.

I've commented in the past about the absurdity of fleeing Sweden to the UK, a country with a long history of accommodating extradition requests to the US.  Shortly after being arrested by London police, Assange was charged in relation to an extradition request from the US.

If Assange did genuinely flee Sweden because he thought he would be safer from extradition to the US in the UK, he really is a world class moron.  Maybe that will be his defense in court:  "I'm too stupid to do the things I'm accused of!"

Julian didn't "flee" Sweden. He was scheduled to travel to UK after his visit to Sweden. At that time the charges were dropped, and even his lawyer contacted the Swedish authorities prior to Julian's travel, and was told it was OK for him to leave Sweden.

As soon as he arrived in UK, Sweden requested his extradition, using a legal instrument created for extradition of high profile terrorists... very strange.

And the rest is history.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, isaanjohnno said:

America, the United States, with all its initial prejudice and lethal screw-ups, was founded as a place where people could direct their own lives without having to fear any other party, let alone a government, that would stand in their way while they did it. And a big part of not having to fear one’s government is not having to fear that government purposely lying to its citizens. The Founding Fathers, for all their faults, got that right. And today erases all of that in one fell swoop.

America is no more. Or it is no longer what they tell you it stands for, whichever comes first.

"And a big part of not having to fear one’s government is not having to fear that government purposely lying to its citizens."

That started a long time ago... and most citizens know this.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, madmen said:

So they arrested him even after the rape charges were dropped..looks like he is on the way to USA 

The sex charges brought against him in Sweden were shown to be trumped up.

But failing to appear before a court when summonsed to do so is an offense in England. So that's why he was arrested.

The UK will, as always, hand him or anyone over to the US when asked, regardless of the legality.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

But failing to appear before a court when summonsed to do so is an offense in England. So that's why he was arrested.

The UK will, as always, hand him or anyone over to the US when asked, regardless of the legality.

I'd agree with this - but why did the govt. spend so much money trying to arrest a bail jumper on such a trumped up offence?

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

"But failing to appear before a court when summonsed to do so is an offense in England. So that's why he was arrested."

Does anyone seriously believe that the uk govt. spent millions to initially stop him escaping as a result of him skipping bail, and then arrested him for this reason??

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Does anyone seriously believe that the uk govt. spent millions to initially stop him escaping as a result of him skipping bail, and then arrested him for this reason??

"It's the principle of the thing"

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If it wasn't for the cat crapping everywhere Assange would still be in there. The cat obviously a CIA plant sent in. Inside job that paid off.

I think one of the things that, as they say, the straw that broke the camels back. He sued the country that was protecting him for violating his rights for taking away internet and things, assaulting the guards and just being a pig. Its probably not a good idea to sue the country that’s saving you’re a--. Plus, a change of government in Ecuador that is trying to get closer ties to the USA.

Edited by allen303
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd agree with this - but why did the govt. spend so much money trying to arrest a bail jumper on such a trumped up offence?

Trumped up???

It is calling upholding the law.

I note he was taken to Westminster Magistrates Court, they found him guilty, but did not sentence him, the have sent him to Southwark Crown Court for sentencing, so expect him to be sentenced to a term in excess of 6 months for the skipping bail offence.

Evicted from his serviced pad in Knightsbridge...:clap2: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, allen303 said:
16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

If it wasn't for the cat crapping everywhere Assange would still be in there. The cat obviously a CIA plant sent in. Inside job that paid off.

I think one of the things that, as they say, the straw that broke the camels back. He sued the country that was protecting him for violating his rights for taking away internet and things, assaulting the guards and just being a pig. Its probably not a good idea to sue the country that’s saving you’re a--. Plus, a change of government in Equator that is trying to get closer ties to the USA.

Thats Ecuador, but there was lot more than "He sued"

The expulsion follows a year of ratcheting tension between Assange and his Ecuadorian hosts, culminating in Wikileaks publicizing a leak of hundreds of thousands of hacked emails mysteriously stolen from the inboxes of Ecuador’s president and first lady. It was this last move that finally set Ecuador’s government firmly against Assange.

The guy is a flipping idiot. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

I haven't checked the entire thread but the Home Sec couldn't quite believe his ears when Abbot came out with this yesterday:

Here's an edited version inc his opening statement and subsequent reaction:

First time I've heard Diane Abbott talk sense in a thousand years.  Amazing, but she has hit the nail on the head.  (I wonder who wrote her speech?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, adammike said:

The charges were not dropped,the Swedish police just stopped trying once it became clear that he was staying put in the embassy,the charges remain on the books.Who gets first dibs on him the Swedish should because the jumping bail was on extradition to Sweden,have the USA actually asked for extradition?

The rape charge was dropped!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Thats Ecuador, but there was lot more than "He sued"

The expulsion follows a year of ratcheting tension between Assange and his Ecuadorian hosts, culminating in Wikileaks publicizing a leak of hundreds of thousands of hacked emails mysteriously stolen from the inboxes of Ecuador’s president and first lady. It was this last move that finally set Ecuador’s government firmly against Assange.

The guy is a flipping idiot. 

Ecuador, yes thanks and caught it. You must have replied faster then I could change! Some time spell check is a B.