Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Swans by 26 points. What a great win. It is good to see the Swans end Norths winning streak in 2016. Also very good for my tipping.

15 other members thought like you Ripfacepalm.gif

15 other members did not have the same margin.

does it matter?

Swans by 26 points. What a great win. It is good to see the Swans end Norths winning streak in 2016. Also very good for my tipping.

A golden moment of tipping excellence.

Clear lead in the tipping comp.

Round 10 and the champ just pulls forward.

Caps it off with his fantasy Captain Tom Mitchell scoring 163 x 2 = 326.

Will it get better ?? Can anyone stop him? clap2.gif

Your turning into a monster....beginners luck....will be harder in year 2 son.

Edited by AlexRRR

does it matter?

It will if tips are even at the end of the round.

• Like 2

A brutal day in the tipping. It's getting very crowded in the middle of the pack.

And at the top.

Maybe it’s time to take a chance and toss a coin on the Doggies v Pies game???

• Like 2

Saints one game out of the eight, next 5 games Crows, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Carlton Essendon and Melbourne. 4 games at Etihad and 4 very winnable games. Crows in SA next week will be hard but who knows.

Hands up who hasn't had the opportunity to kick some docker arse yet.

• Like 1

An interesting week for tipsters,with at least five games that look each way bets.

Swans v Roos - at the SCG

Dees v Port

Blues v Cats

Pies v Dogs - looking forward to a great game, too bad AFL Dude is down.

??

Sure to get some of them wrong,, if not most..

First game isn't so hard to pick joblow, north are ready to drop one and swans looking deadlier as the season progresses....but then again.....dads army has taken all before it.

Dees against port....gees i changed my mind on closer investigation, you will have to wait till 5 pm sat afternoon to find out.

Who would pick the Lions? tough the Hawks are not anything great at the moment, danger danger will robinson...

That ordinary team Saints coming up against an even more ordinary team...freo.....short straw is the winner.

The might bombers against a resurgent tigers....interestingly dusty's fantasy score is 20% better of late....is that an indication for something?

Those black birds against the tall ones from up north, this is the hardest game of the round...well i cast my eye to the sky this morning from my balcony, there were no tall men i could see nor were there any black birds on the horizon, i turned to my doggie cho and asked his opinion but he was not there, he avoids friday mornings, what to do what to do?

Blues against the Cats, good money can now be safely be put on the blues, but i wouldn't want to be playing the cats after they lost the week before...this is where i stick my neck out the cats will show the blues come this weekend its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll with the big guys, a drubbing of the magnitude of a 7.5 on the Richter scale is heavily indicated here.

Maggies and doggies, who is more mature? pies ever so depressingly inadequate against an emerging dogs, I'm not convinced the dogs are a power of yet maybe next year, the pies on the other hand bridesmaids for so long....we turn to CHOOKS for the answer here.

Eagles do it right do it quite suns on the other hand, well rodney it seemed was given an Aston Martin Advantage but it turned out to be a second hand 1964 Ford Mustang, the holiday capital of Australia is not a good place to grow an AFL club, the Lions quickly moved north and 3 flags followed, i feel for Eade, i think he is one of the best coaches around would have been happy if he had gone to the Dees, Abblet on the other hand still a good player of course but isn't the leader you would want, spends to much time at the beach and polishing his head, suns wont win another game this year, wont Finnish last because the bombers are even more crap.

Noticed the kid isn't shooting is selections mid week anymore...hes in stress mode, Will has quietened down too ahh tipsters beware number 1 is not the place you want to be to early...unless you have nerves of steel...

That ordinary team, the saints pulled melbourne's pants down and gave them a good spanking. When was the last time melbourne beat this ordinary team, my memory is only good for a couple of decades.

Ross Lyon to coach Melbourne next season and he is bringing his boy Zac Dawson with him.

We have a coach for next season thanks mate, and yeah i noticed how convincing that ordinary team of yours was yesterday, noticed your ordinary fantasy team is likely to pip me as well...what to do? what to do?

Lost by 48 points and they're stoked

You know your side's struggling when they regard a 48-point loss as a really good effort. Such is the case with the Lions' coach and leading players boosting themselves after the Hawthorn game.

Mind you, any sort of effort would be commendable after their no-show against Collingwood. I attended that game and left at three quarter time. Most of the previous two quarters I'd spent reading my Kindle. It was awful. The worst performance I can remember by any team in the VFL/AFL.

I'm in Thailand now and won't see any more games this season. I doubt I'll be signing up again for the next.

How long can a club get away with saying they're a young side and things will pick up? The Lions have pushed this line for 10 years and it's wearing very thin.

How long can fans expect to be patient? I used to wonder what it was like to be a long-term St Kilda supporter with so little to show for it. I guess you just expect to lose and enjoy the better moments. Actually, I'm OK if my side loses as long as they make an effort and display some skills, but if they're just not up to AFL level and appear to be lazy and stupid as well, as the Lions did against the Magpies, then it's hard to keep the faith.

Oh well, one never knows what's around the corner. Sometimes it just takes one good game to turn things around.

PS. Of course the AFL hasn't helped football in Queensland with its stupid decision to set up another club on the Gold Coast, but I've already ranted about that (last year?) so I won't go on.

• Like 1

You know your side's struggling when they regard a 48-point loss as a really good effort. Such is the case with the Lions' coach and leading players boosting themselves after the Hawthorn game.

Mind you, any sort of effort would be commendable after their no-show against Collingwood. I attended that game and left at three quarter time. Most of the previous two quarters I'd spent reading my Kindle. It was awful. The worst performance I can remember by any team in the VFL/AFL.

I'm in Thailand now and won't see any more games this season. I doubt I'll be signing up again for the next.

How long can a club get away with saying they're a young side and things will pick up? The Lions have pushed this line for 10 years and it's wearing very thin.

How long can fans expect to be patient? I used to wonder what it was like to be a long-term St Kilda supporter with so little to show for it. I guess you just expect to lose and enjoy the better moments. Actually, I'm OK if my side loses as long as they make an effort and display some skills, but if they're just not up to AFL level and appear to be lazy and stupid as well, as the Lions did against the Magpies, then it's hard to keep the faith.

Oh well, one never knows what's around the corner. Sometimes it just takes one good game to turn things around.

PS. Of course the AFL hasn't helped football in Queensland with its stupid decision to set up another club on the Gold Coast, but I've already ranted about that (last year?) so I won't go on.

Geez. They've won 3 premierships since the turn of the century! A feat only matched by Geelong and Hawthorn.

Things could be a lot worse, you could be a Freo, Saints or Demons supporter!

Agree, starting the Gold Coast team was a farce, but the AFL has always been about money ,and half of Victoria retire to the GC.

Tasmania should have had their own team long ago, but the numbers don't crunch for the business.

Round 10 completed and I don't think there is a clear indication of who is premiership favourites this year. At this stage there is 7 or 8 sides with possible claims.

North Melbourne: I can't see them winning. Their team is too old and they looked cooked against Sydney near the end of the match. Towards the end of the year the old boys are going to start showing signs of wear and tear and injury. They should have dominated a Sydney backline that was inexperienced and way under size. Tippet showed he can almost match Goldy. I expect them to smash Richmond this week.

Sydney: Definitely a contender. The big question mark on them is the defence and how the young first year players will stand up in finals pressure. Sydney have debuted 6 players this year, with Hewett, Mills, Papley the best of them. Good chance to make the GF

Geelong: Losses to Collingwood and Carlton! <deleted>? I never saw them as premiership contenders this year and i still maintain that. The GWS game this week will be a revealing one regarding both teams

GWS. Def. a contender. They have the easiest run home of all the top sides. This could work to disadvantage them as they really need some high class opposition to test them. Against Adelaide, they were exposed in different ways. They like to run forward, but they dont like doing the hard yards getting back in defence. They can't win a GF with open and lazy defensive efforts like that. let someone else do the hard work won't cut it. They have the class, but the players have to stop taking selfies on the run and get put some grunt into their game when it counts. First thing the players reach for after the game is a device to check their social media accounts. As mentioned above,...game against Geelong will tell us a lot.

West Coast: Contender. They have the forward power. But as discussed..can they win away from home? A better question could be: Should the top of the table winner have to play their GF away from home?

Bulldogs: contender. They have played a few games with their backline decimated...towards the end of the season their backline will be near full strength (barring more injuries) and they are well in contention to win the GF

Adelaide: I rate them a contender...but...GWS were abysmal against them on the weekend and yet Adelaide came close to letting it slip away. Sides who can block their clean possession coming into the 50 are going to put Adealide under serious pressure. One of the best forward lines in the comp

Hawthorn: Always a chance, but not the team they have been the past few years. They have been lucky in 3 games this year to get the 4 points, and they can't rely on last quarter efforts going into finals. A few injuries have stifled them, sure. Can't rule them out, but i don't see them making the GF

post-147205-0-50188900-1464565229_thumb.

• Like 2

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Round 10, 2016

BRENDON Bolton is the the early Tackle nomination for coach of the year, Dustin Martin steps up and Eddie Betts wasn’t the real hero for the Crows on Saturday night.

But the Cats, Dockers and head-high free kicks are in the firing line. And will John Worsfold ever say something critical about his old team?

Herald Sun chief footy writer Mark Robinson names his likes and dislikes of the weekend.

Chat live with Robbo from 11.45am EST Monday.

1. Dennis Armfield

The chances of Dennis being No.1 in the likes and Dennis returning as a popular boys name are/were equally impossible. Go figure. Armfield was majestic in yet another majestic performance from the Blues.

Kicked three goals and looked like the Dominator running through half-forward. Carlton won with two players down, Sam Rowe stopping Tom Hawkins, Sam Docherty enhancing his AA calculations and Bryce Gibbs being calm in the storm.

2. Brendon Bolton

A nomination record in The Tackle for a coach in his first season, but what he has done with this group is astonishing. If it’s about expectations, then as we stand Bolton is the coach of the year.

The Blues are 5-5 and have clipped the Cats, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Essendon and Fremantle. And to think there was a group of businessmen prepared to challenge the Carlton board. Here’s some advice: Lay down your guns, gentlemen.

3. Martin and Morris

One’s all class, the other is all effort. How’s Dusty’s past five weeks — 31, 28, 28, 30 and a career-high 38 touches against Essendon. And in the same period his contested possessions have rocketed, so it’s clear he’s changed the way he plays.

No questions about Steven Morris’ attitude, though. People talk about the return of Brett Deledio and Dylan Grimes but Morris has been critical in wins against Sydney, Fremantle and now Essendon.

4. St Kilda

Stood up in a fierce contest and that was the most pleasing aspect of the win. That was character. Their ability to run in the final quarter from the back half stomped all over the Dockers.

Key forwards Riewoldt, Membrey and Bruce kicked two goals each in the final quarter in the rout, yet it was David Armitage and Jack Steven who refused to yield when the Dockers turned up the heat.

They shared 70 disposals, 28 contested possessions, 26 tackles, 13 clearances and two goals. Armitage is a warrior, Steven is a dynamic warrior and should be in discussion for All-Australian.

5. Chad Wingard

Mixed bag this season because of injury and so-so individual and team form, but past three weeks he has returned; three, two, three and on Saturday 2.4 from 26 disposals playing forward/mid. When Chad plays well, so do Port.

And you have to agree with coach Ken Hinkley about Darcy Byrne-Jones. Has played eight games, one poor one (Round 8), was injured (Round 9) in one and solid in the other six, including among the best on Saturday. Surely Rising Star nom this week.

6. Josh Kennedy

Seem to wax with the Sydney midfielders on a Monday morning. Hannebery, Mitchell and Parker have figured prominently and now Kennedy completes the quadrella. Had 35, seven clearances and 12 tackles and together,

Kennedy, Mitchell and Hannebery all had 11-plus contested possessions, while the Kangaroos only had one player in that category and that was Ben Cunnington with 16. At this rate, Hannebery and Kennedy are AA, which doesn’t leave a lot of midfield spots for the other 17 clubs.

7. Kyle Cheney

Sorry, Eddie, the goal was mind-boggling, but crucial to Adelaide’s victory over GWS was Adelaide’s defensive work on key Giants forwards. Lobb, Cameron and Patton kicked one goal between them before Patton went back,

and Steve Johnson had limited impact. His opponent for much of the game was Cheney. Head to head, Cheney had five disposals and Johnson four disposals, but that doesn’t count the spoils or bodywork by Cheney. And let’s not forget Tex. His first quarter — seven disposals, five marks and three goals — led from the front.

8. Jordan Lewis

May be biased. Doubly determined to play well, Jordan Lewis was extraordinary against the Lions. It was his 250th match, but that didn’t propel him. He was poor the week before in what was the Jarryd Roughead acknowledgment

t match and it cut him deep. He responded with 42 disposals, the second-most of career, a game-high 18 contested possessions, nine clearances and 12 score involvements.

9. Luke Dahlhaus

There are prettier footballers to watch play, but few with a better work rate than the Bulldogs’ high half-forward. It was a trench game and Dahlhaus scrounged as good as any player. Finished with 37 disposals,

11 contested, six tackles and one clearance. He’s not a breakaway player, more a buzzing around the contest kind of player and in the past five weeks has gone 28, 31, 29, 28 and on Sunday 37. His goal just before three-quarter time was critical.

10. Jeremy Howe

Hasn’t the heart of, say, former Essendon player Mark Harvey — well, who did? — but Harvey was able to shift from half-forward to key back and become a key plank in Essendon’s 1993 premiership team.

Howe has the same ability to read the game and yesterday once again was among the best with 11 marks and 28 touches. It leaves Frost to be the stopper and Howe to be a release big man.

DISLIKES

1. Geelong

Poor against Collingwood and followed it up with yet another poor performance against Carlton. Couldn’t play their way against the Pies and the same against the Blues. Just maybe they’re not as good as many of us have thought.

Too many mistakes under the Carlton heat — and yes, it was fierce heat — and not enough from Selwood, Motlop, Lang, Blicavs and Smedts. All told, they lacked polish and work rate. The Giants at home next week will be a must-watch.

2. Demons defence

The press takes time to solidify and it will be front and square at training this week. That was one problem as Port kicked goal after goal over the back and was able to find loose men forward for centre. The other area was stoppages.

The Demons broke even in clearances but were outscored by 45 points from that source, which ended up being the final margin. Just 46 tackles for the Demons and that wasn’t about lack of effort, they couldn’t catch their opponents. Paul Roos keeps blaming the coaches for selection issues, but at some stage, he has to point the finger at the players. Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Dom Tyson and Dean Kent were well down.

3. Matthew Pavlich

Hate seeing the champ going through this and if he pulled the pin, there would be no shame in that. The future Hall of Famer played in 2016 because the Dockers were giving it another shot, but that’s not happening. You’re allowed to retire. It’s not abandoning the team. It was a plan which didn’t work. The ball delivery is not great — we’ve said that for a long time — and while the mind is willing, the body is not. Can’t get separation and tries to mark the ball too many times on his chest, which makes the task easy for defenders. A midyear retirement would be a sensational celebration of a career in what his otherwise a very disappointing season.

4. So, Fremantle

Mentally weak which hast been far from the norm for Ross Lyon’s teams. The score at quarter-time, 5-4 to 3.0, wasn’t indicative of Fremantle’s lack of fight. Lyon spoke about character at the break and the Dockers responded,

only to raise the white flag in the final quarter. Observers suggest Lyon has coached this team into the ground, I say that’s rubbish. If they can find for two quarters, they can find for four quarters. Key players are out or missing, and that hurts, but it was a case of picking and choosing effort on Saturday.

5. GWS

Final quarter fight is the positive, the lack of zest and polish in the first and third quarters were disappointing. Midfield battle went to the Crows. Adelaide recorded its best clearance

differential of the season (+11) and the Giants recorded their worst differential and Adelaide scored 6.6 to 1.1 against a team that was No.1 for scoring from stoppages. They are the numbers that will

anger coach Leon Cameron, but this game, like many over the weekend, was won on the back of effort and attitude. Just eight tackles from the Giants in the first quarter was despairing.

6. North Melbourne

Came for the street fight and limped home wounded and although they can find positives from quarter two, they never looked like threatening after the first five minutes of the third term. Lost structure and had several players down including Brent Harvey and Drew Petrie. They won’t care about outside observations, but they played the first of the big boys and got beat. Doubts exist but, hey, beating Sydney in Sydney is one of the tougher assignments in football.

7. Drawing head-high tackles

It’s an issue the Laws of the Game committee must investigate at the end of the season. What to do about it is the problem. Scott Lucas had a fine idea: if the initial tackle by a player is around the arms — and then the player with the ball slides those arms up around the neck — a free kick should not be played. Even coaches are in favour of AFL intervention. Selwood, Puopolo, Thomas, Christensen and second-gamer Rhys Mathieson, among others, are all guilty to some extent. Thomas made it front of mind on Friday night because he stopped and backed back into an oncoming opponent. Some people call it cheating and a blight. I think it’s not in the spirit of the contest. We see players throw themselves to win the ball and then we see players drop or collapse the knees to win the ball. One’s fearless attack, the other is a con.

8. Bombers

Yes, they are missing players, we know that. But I wonder if John Worsfold will ever get to the stage where he is critical of his team, or more demanding of his team, and not loaded with positives after every loss. Maybe it’s an art of coaching. But Essendon had its chances to really challenge Richmond, but coughed up any chance because of too many mistakes. And not just from young players. Endeavour is there, no doubt, but a sense of gallantry every week does wear thin.

9. Unlucky Pies

Seemed to be the winner for three quarters, but with injuries killing them, ran out of impetus in the final quarter. The Pies didn’t have a rotation, while the Bulldogs had 16 during a period of the final 30 minutes. Tough to win in that situation. Problem was, the Pies didn’t kick enough goals when they had control of the game. Macrae, Daniel, Hunter, Biggs, Libba and Wood were fresher at the end and Pies will rue one which got away. It was 5.3 to 1.3 in the final term.

10. Gaz bashing

Mark Maclure wanted him traded, his manager Liam Pickering said that wouldn’t be happening. So, it looks like we’re back to watching him play football for the Suns. He was back on Sunday night, not so much to his scintillating best in the first half, but enough to suggest he still has some damn good football ahead of him. The Suns’ effort again was OK, but effort without experience at Subiaco is nowhere near enough.

• Like 1

Round 10 completed and I don't think there is a clear indication of who is premiership favourites this year. At this stage there is 7 or 8 sides with possible claims.

North Melbourne: I can't see them winning. Their team is too old and they looked cooked against Sydney near the end of the match. Towards the end of the year the old boys are going to start showing signs of wear and tear and injury. They should have dominated a Sydney backline that was inexperienced and way under size. Tippet showed he can almost match Goldy. I expect them to smash Richmond this week.

Sydney: Definitely a contender. The big question mark on them is the defence and how the young first year players will stand up in finals pressure. Sydney have debuted 6 players this year, with Hewett, Mills, Papley the best of them. Good chance to make the GF

Geelong: Losses to Collingwood and Carlton! <deleted>? I never saw them as premiership contenders this year and i still maintain that. The GWS game this week will be a revealing one regarding both teams

GWS. Def. a contender. They have the easiest run home of all the top sides. This could work to disadvantage them as they really need some high class opposition to test them. Against Adelaide, they were exposed in different ways. They like to run forward, but they dont like doing the hard yards getting back in defence. They can't win a GF with open and lazy defensive efforts like that. let someone else do the hard work won't cut it. They have the class, but the players have to stop taking selfies on the run and get put some grunt into their game when it counts. First thing the players reach for after the game is a device to check their social media accounts. As mentioned above,...game against Geelong will tell us a lot.

West Coast: Contender. They have the forward power. But as discussed..can they win away from home? A better question could be: Should the top of the table winner have to play their GF away from home?

Bulldogs: contender. They have played a few games with their backline decimated...towards the end of the season their backline will be near full strength (barring more injuries) and they are well in contention to win the GF

Adelaide: I rate them a contender...but...GWS were abysmal against them on the weekend and yet Adelaide came close to letting it slip away. Sides who can block their clean possession coming into the 50 are going to put Adealide under serious pressure. One of the best forward lines in the comp

Hawthorn: Always a chance, but not the team they have been the past few years. They have been lucky in 3 games this year to get the 4 points, and they can't rely on last quarter efforts going into finals. A few injuries have stifled them, sure. Can't rule them out, but i don't see them making the GF

IMO Sydney are the team to beat (at the minute) but it can change quickly.

Two weeks ago after Geelong beat Ade in Adelaide, they were touted as premiership favourites.

Then Sydney lost to Richmond.

I keep saying it, but it's bloody hard to beat top 8 sides interstate.

If the GF was played in Sydney, Perth or Adelaide, I think the home sides would be favourites.

The run home, injuries and suspensions can change things but Sydney are the team to beat right now.

I don't think there's much in it for the next 7 sides.

• Like 2

Gang

What's the go with Jack Viney on Brad Ebert?

https://streamable.com/cqo2

Some talk of Viney hitting him with an open palm but surely you can't hit a bloke in the head

3 times and not get time.

The flies are bad in the Alice, Jack was just helping Brad shoo them away.tongue.png

I saw it, he's done his Brownlow dash 3 good jabs that scored points in a flurry of at least 5...normally his energy is at the bottom of the pack, he's gone for a fortnight i would think.

He's pop never got sucked in, the kid is a marked man now he's elevated to elite status he better grow another skin or he will be watching more games than he's playing.

• Like 1

Gang

Some talk of Viney hitting him with an open palm but surely you can't hit a bloke in the head

Been offered a week with an early plea... 2 if he fights and loses...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-30/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-10

As Croc said your taken 3 flags within the last 15 ys a lot better effort than that ordinary team St Kilda, the Dees, Bulldogs and a few others.

You dont know what suffering is...try 2 grand final play offs since 1964 walloped in both and record GF score in one...Saints 1 Flag and made 3 others, 70s and 80s they owned the bottom spot on the ladder with us and only 12 clubs in those days.

Demons the worst ever team up until this year form since 2006.

Its always the board....they cut Voss just as he was getting somewhere, sat on the back of the triple cups and stop doing being proactive, good clubs bounce back fast.

Also true GC shouldn't have been created, 16 clubs is about all the comp can handle 14 was all that there should be.

I went to every game in 1984 and we won only one with a goal 1 min before the final siren against the dogs who had been leading all day.

You have NO idea what suffering is....just ask Saint Kilda, Footscray, Melbourne, North Melbourne up until the mid 70s, Swans until Roos took over as coach....no god dam idea what suffering is.

• Like 2

Gang

Been offered a week with an early plea... 2 if he fights and loses...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-30/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-10

Totally unrelated.... :rolleyes:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-05-30/viney-out-for-three-to-four-matches

LEADER Jack Viney will miss the next three to four matches after suffering a fractured knucklebone during Melbourne’s 45-point loss to Port Adelaide at TIO Traeger Park Oval on Saturday.

General manager of football operations Josh Mahoney said Viney had scans on his hand on Monday.

“Early in the first quarter on the weekend, Jack injured his hand and scans today (Monday) have shown he has a fracture in his knucklebone,” he toldmelbournefc.com.au.

“This requires surgery and he will be having surgery this afternoon.

“At this stage we expect him to miss approximately three to four weeks of football.”

Viney has been one of the competition’s best players this season – he entered round 10 sixth on the leaderboard in the AFLCA votes – and has taken his game to another level in 2016.

The 22-year-old, who finished runner-up to Bernie Vince in last year’s best and fairest, has played 59 matches since making his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at the MCG in round one, 2013.

He won a NAB AFL Rising Star in round 21, 2013.

Meanwhile, Viney has been offered a one-match sanction with an early plea, after he was charged by the match review panel on Monday for striking Port Adelaide’s Brad Ebert during the first quarter Saturday’s 45-point loss to the Power at TIO Traeger Park Oval.

• Like 1