Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Another fairly close GF this year thanks Alex..

Not being able to replace Merrett and the gamble you took in rolling the dice on Gawn as your skipper was probably the deciding factor.

I knew I just had to have a comfortable 100 point lead going into the last quarter to have you headed off. 

Third time's a charm it seems and coming in from 3rd seems to be the talisman ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ron19 said:

FREMANTLE has emphatically dismissed a Perth radio claim that Dockers coach Ross Lyon approached Collingwood about becoming its next senior coach.

The Dockers released a statement on Sunday afternoon to shut down "spurious claims" made by 1985 Brownlow medallist Brad Hardie on Perth radio station 6PR.

Lyon expressed his "disgust" at suggestions he had contacted the Magpies about succeeding coach Nathan Buckley, and pledged his loyalty to the Dockers.

"I am bitterly disappointed that such so-called journalism even sees the light of day," Lyon said in a statement.

"I have contacted Brad Hardie directly and voiced my disgust at his comments.

"They are totally without foundation and not based on fact in any way, shape or form.

"Such an erroneous and reckless claim should be exposed for what it is – a complete fabrication and a falsehood."

Lyon added he was fully dedicated to serving the Dockers, where he is contracted until the end of 2020.

"It is also important for our members and supporters to know that I couldn't be more be committed to what we are trying to achieve as a club at the Fremantle Dockers," the coach said.

"I can assure our members and supporters that I am totally focused on returning the club to sustained finals success."

Dockers chief executive Steve Rosich also voiced his anger, slamming the claim.

"Our club has a policy of not responding to rumour and innuendo, however in this case, because the report is utterly false and personal in nature, we felt compelled as a club to issue today's statement," Rosich said.

"(Lyon's) sole focus is on returning the team to a pathway of sustained finals success.

"Ross's application and dedication to what we are trying to achieve as a club has not wavered and cannot be questioned."

Lyon stunned the football world when he joined Fremantle at the end of 2011 after coaching St Kilda in three Grand Finals.

I used to like Hardie but he's turned into a nob I reckon.

Tries to be a shock jock and just come up with headlines.

• Like 2

Has anyone heard from Ripstanley ?

I have sent him two PM's during the week to find out if the table for last week has been corrected and able to be posted.

Hasn't even read them yet. I want to post them so others in the future can look back on previous years details.

1 hour ago, Ron19 said:

Has anyone heard from Ripstanley ?

I have sent him two PM's during the week to find out if the table for last week has been corrected and able to be posted.

Hasn't even read them yet. I want to post them so others in the future can look back on previous years details.

I don't think the boffins at AFL.com will update the tipping ledger from last week. Despite not entering a tip and therefore receiving by default the Swans, I didn't get the tip officially and I was going to tip the Cats anyway so in good conscience I shouldn't get the tip anyway ?

The Tackle

IT was another big week in football and we’re not talking about the return of The Footy Show.

Toby Greene kicked off — no pun intended — the fireworks on Friday night, the Cats-Tigers followed on Saturday before the Saints saw their finals hopes all but extinguished on Sunday.

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson looks at the weekend’s highlights and lowlights. Have your saw in the comments below.

WHAT I LIKE

1. TOBY GREENE DEBATE

It has been venomous, curious and enlightening over the past two days and there remains confusion about whether he should be suspended or not on a rough conduct charge. Clearly, the umpire had no doubt as he reported Greene for collecting Luke Dahlhaus is the face. We will find out on Monday if the MRP agrees. Suspect they will find him not guilty. But if members of the MRP are also divided on the charge — which sums up the entire football community — then wouldn’t be surprised if ends up at the tribunal. Maybe it should.

It’s a case of it being a reasonable action to defend space as opposed to it being a dangerous action by lifting the leg. And, have enough “boxes’’ been ticked to full assess the charge. Was it careless or reckless or intentional? Some people have argued it was reckless, which is a problem because reckless is no longer in the MRP’s rule book.

2. IS IT A GREENE WITCH HUNT?

Yes it is. If it was Bob Murphy or Marcus Bontempelli, it’s a fair bet the football community would lean towards it being an accident. Agreed, it was inviting trouble to stick the boot up, and it is a rare situation, but can’t help feel the reputation as a thug people believe Greene has cultivated over previous seasons has swayed opinion. Might be wrong, but would be surprised if he’s suspended. Dahlhaus only suffered a minor split lip and played out the game which, in this time of outcome-delivered suspensions, doesn’t stack up to a suspension.

3. CAM PEDERSEN AND THE DEES’ FORWARD LINE

Coach Simon Goodwin went with James Harmes and Cam Pedersen in place of Jesse Hogan and Jack Watts and he wasn’t let down. Again, Pedersen plays some stunning football when he’s confident and fit. He had 26 disposals, kicked two goals, had 11 score involvements and took eight marks. The Demons were slick with their ball movement early, which had been a problem in recent weeks, and Pedersen and Harmes were potent up forward. Only the return of Angus Brayshaw was a better story than Pedersen’s performance.

4. COMPLETE CROWS

Week in, week out you can pick a pile of Adelaide players to highlight. At Round 21, the most pleasing aspect is the total team environment which has become the Crows trademark. The Tackle highlighted the Crouch brothers 12 weeks ago, we know the forward line is talent-laden and the defence has stoppers and creators. It all has to be brought together and executed and this is what coach Don Pyke has done. Adelaide punishes teams from turnovers like no other side in the competition. It averages 75 points per game from turnovers, which is clearly ranked No.1. Adelaide monstered the Bombers and then punished them, scoring a massive 96 points from Essendon mistakes.

5. THE KOLODJASHNIJ KID

Still 22 and might have found a new position on the wing for the Cats. Against Richmond he had a career-high 104 ranking points, 20 disposals — his second most in a game — and a career-high 12 contested possessions. Played two thirds of the game on the wing, which has been his role in the past three matches after his first 39 games were spent in defence. Has coach Chris Scott seen enough to leave him there?

6. TOM ROCKLIFF

When you look at Tom Rockliff you see a player totally invested in his footy and his life. A father-to-be, he saluted a cousin who died last week by acknowledging him after kicking one of his three goals. There’s always speculation about Rockliff’s future, but let’s hope he stays as the Brisbane Lions start to see results of the rebuild. He was terrific against Gold Coast. He kicked three goals and had 12 score involvements (season-high) from just 24 disposals as the Lions piled on 142 points, their best score since Round 17, 2007.

7. DON’T FORGET BUDDY

The choice generally is between Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin as the No.1 player, but they can’t do what Lance Franklin can. Ross Lyon clearly thought he’d give a lesson to first-year player Griffin Logue, who he started on Franklin. That lesson lasted a quarter after Franklin played high and picked up nine disposals. Joel Hamling then took the job and kept Franklin goalless in the second half. Still, Franklin roamed and finished with four goals and 24 disposals. If he did that every week, the Swans would be hard to beat for the flag.

8. RISING STAR RACE

Hawthorn’s Ryan Burton is about a $1.50 favourite, Port Adelaide’s Sam Powell-Pepper has dropped away and missed this weekend’s game against Collingwood, while Essendon’s Andrew McGrath took Eddie Betts to the cleaners at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, which will prompt selectors to have a rethink. Not even seasoned defenders can contain Eddie, yet McGrath accumulated 25 disposals and kept Betts to a season-low seven disposals when, for a time, the Crows forwards were lining up to kick goals. It was easily McGrath’s best game of the season, and arguably the most accomplished game played against Betts this season. Wonder if McGrath gets points for being a first-year player as opposed to Burton being a second-year player?

9. THE CHAMP AND THE KID

Eagle Josh Kennedy will be All-Australian, and maybe even the Coleman Medal winner despite missing five games with injury. He kicked six against the Blues in what was pretty good game from both teams, although the tackling coach at the Eagles needs to ramp it up. While Kennedy was dominant, it was Charlie Curnow who continues to headline the Blues story. Dermott Brereton said, to some astonishment, Curnow will be the best player in the game in two years. He mightn’t be that far wrong, Derm.

10. JACK GUNSTON

Another strong game from the former 50-goal-a-season goalkicker and another argument why he should stay as a defender under coach Alastair Clarkson. It’s difficult to conjure major excitement when two teams meet who won’t play finals, so it’s all about the future. Gunston and James Sicily as defenders are clear ticks and for North Melbourne it was Braydon Preuss, Cam Zurhaar (two goals), Ryan Clarke, Trent Dumont and Declan Mountford.

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. ST KILDA

Big game, season-shaping game and the Saints panicked. No other way to describe the first quarter, which ultimately decided the game. The Saints’ turnovers were frightful and allowed Melbourne to have 22 inside 50s, just two off the most inside 50s recorded in a game and that was North Melbourne. We know what happened in the first quarter, but the question is why. Why was the moment too much for them? They settled and came hard, which is the major positive, but coach Alan Richardson will burrow down on the start in the review and not the end when the Demons skipped away again.

2. RICHMOND

Did enough to suggest it will still be a serious opposition in September, but what we saw on Saturday was sloppy ball use. If that is repeated in the finals, Richmond will have a short September. Richmond’s pressure factor was 198, which was top of the range, against Geelong’s 184. The Cats, however, punished Richmond’s mistakes. They scored 56 points from turnovers, while Richmond managed just 24. Richmond’s kicking efficiency has been poor the past three weeks. It has gone at 56, 56 and now 57 per cent. In the final quarter on Saturday it was a miserable 46 per cent. They had the heart, but not the talent.

3. COME ON, DIMMA

Have a look at the free kick count, Damien Hardwick said in the post-match. His point might be valid, but it smacked of being a sore loser. Apportioning blame to umpires — and them being influenced by the crowd — for what happened on Saturday was the emotional Hardwick speaking. The free kick count was 28-17 after being 20-7 at halftime. The “noise of affirmation’’ might have been in play, but the Tigers had greater problems than the umpires.

4. FREMANTLE

Ross Lyon said it was learning experience, but what else can he say? He’s not going to name names in a record-breaking loss as coaches don’t do that. If he did, he’d lament the performances of Lachie Neale (nine disposals), Brad Hill (eight disposals) and Michael Johnson (seven disposals), three players who have served him strongly this season. The Dockers are young and at the end of a difficult second half of the season. Still, that was pathetic.

5. LOSSES CREATE RUMOURS

Brownlow Medallist Brad Hardie went on Perth radio at the weekend saying Ross Lyon had contacted Collingwood about coaching them in 2017. Hardie had his reason for going public and you have to wonder if he stands by his story. Hardie did not answer calls or texts on Sunday night. The Dockers, who have caved in the second half of the season, were furious. “Such an erroneous and reckless claim should be exposed for what it is, a complete fabrication and a falsehood,’’ Lyon said. Over to you, Brad.

6. MEEK MIDFIELD

The Bulldogs can’t beat the Giants when Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus and Caleb Daniel either play below their best or don’t contribute at all. Three players stand out; Liberatore’s career is at the crossroads, Dahlhaus hasn’t been consistent and Jake Stringer is still in the wilderness. The game plan works — look at the inside-50 count — but the Dogs don’t capitalise. It was a strange game if you look at the numbers, but it’s time to look at the personnel. Libba’s fall from contested ball animal to so-so midfielder might mean another run in the VFL and a serious talk with the coach about what exactly has happened to his career.

7. WHERE’S THE OUTRAGE ABOUT BALLARAT?

The level of hypocrisy about Geelong hosting Richmond at home will be revealed this week when absolutely no one — and that includes the Richmond mafia in the media — will kick up a stink about the Bulldogs hosting Port Adelaide at Ballarat, which has a ground capacity of 11,000. How many fans will miss out when the reigning premiers meet a finals-bound team? If it’s about numbers then every GWS-Swans game should be played at the SCG because Spotless has a capacity of 24,000. The argument the AFL should’ve moved the Cats-Tigers game to the MCG was ridiculous last week and will be even more ridiculous this week when Ballarat won’t even be seen as an issue.

8. GOLDY’S PROBLEMS PERSIST

Just four disposals and not a single mark for a player whose footy has deserted him. It’s sad it’s come to this. He was the best ruck in the game two years ago and he looks like he’s playing his first year of footy, He’s been dropped once already this season and coach Brad Scott might have to pull the trigger again.

9. NO BRAINS, WASTED BEER

Someone out there is feeling like a hero after throwing a plastic cup of beer at Toby Greene at the end of the game on Friday night. That’s Victoria Park, Moorabbin and Windy Hill behaviour, not 2017 at Etihad Stadium. Hope there’s footage of the man or woman who did the throwing so they can be fined and/or banned. It’s not on.

10. CROWD FIGHTS

Anyone who listens to SEN Radio would know of Trout, a diehard Richmond fan. Trout allegedly was spat on by a Cats fan on Saturday — according to Trout’s son who called 3AW on Saturday night with the details — which sparked a punch-on in the crowd. Really, spitting? If true, said Cats fan should be banned for a period of time. That’s just looking for trouble.

16 hours ago, Will27 said:

I used to like Hardie but he's turned into a nob I reckon.

Tries to be a shock jock and just come up with headlines.

So Hardies "source" is a caller on talkback radio:biggrin:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth-radio-broadcaster-brad-hardie-stands-by-his-story-linking-ross-lyon-to-collingwood/news-story/945205c6c79a2f58a010cdcf0d1bedbf

Speaking on TAB Radio this morning, the Brownlow medallist said he was “comfortable” with what he reported on-air about the Dockers coach putting the feelers out through a third party.

“A month ago I said it and it wasn’t with any names, and it was actually on the back of a talkback caller on Saturday who pressed the issue and threw out a lot of the details to it,” Hardie said.

“I just reiterated what I had heard and known (from) five weeks ago.”

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

So Hardies "source" is a caller on talkback radio:biggrin:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth-radio-broadcaster-brad-hardie-stands-by-his-story-linking-ross-lyon-to-collingwood/news-story/945205c6c79a2f58a010cdcf0d1bedbf

Speaking on TAB Radio this morning, the Brownlow medallist said he was “comfortable” with what he reported on-air about the Dockers coach putting the feelers out through a third party.

“A month ago I said it and it wasn’t with any names, and it was actually on the back of a talkback caller on Saturday who pressed the issue and threw out a lot of the details to it,” Hardie said.

“I just reiterated what I had heard and known (from) five weeks ago.”

And why not? Why wouldn't it be true? preservation is the name of the game...though one G Lyon name wouldn't be holding much weight these days in the days of young aspiring coaches like Fj....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

And why not? Why wouldn't it be true? preservation is the name of the game...though one G Lyon name wouldn't be holding much weight these days in the days of young aspiring coaches like Fj....

If only i was in Aus Alex,my win/loss ratio as a coach is up there.But never enough with the changing landscape of politics and football rules to move back.

Now what was that about Greene,MRP and something to do with the Eagles:smile:

I'm sure your holiday is still going well with the Dees victory still in the air.

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

If only i was in Aus Alex,my win/loss ratio as a coach is up there.But never enough with the changing landscape of politics and football rules to move back.

Now what was that about Greene,MRP and something to do with the Eagles:smile:

I'm sure your holiday is still going well with the Dees victory still in the air.

Oh what about Green? didn't get rubbed out? if WILL and Jo won't have me I'm gonna have to go to NORTH...

Mate I can teach you the Malthouse cold stare I had it on me for like 3 min one time at a restaurant cum bar in posh Brighton where he lives, was like a laser that burned right  through you, with that you can last 10 years in the coaching biz....Think about it...

• Like 2

Platten went to the VFl about the same tie as Craig Bradley and Stephen Kernahan who could also play a bit.

Certainly made up one of the great State sides at a time when interstate footy was taken seriously.

When SA’s State of Origin superteam whipped the Sandgropers

Kym Morgan, The Advertiser
June 19, 2015 1:37pm

AT THREE-QUARTER time the Sandgropers booed their coach, John Todd, as he left the field ... but perhaps they should have paused to appreciate the quality of the opposition.

It’s 30 years since SA’s all-conquering state team of the mid-1980s added another achievement to its list — belting WA at Subiaco.

The side that took the park that day was one of the greatest the Croweaters have ever fielded and it lived up to expectations, blitzing the Sandgropers 30.18 (198) to 16.15 (111).

Among the assembled talent were Malcolm Blight, Craig Bradley, Stephen Kernahan, Peter Motley, John Platten, Michael Aish, Greg Anderson, Tony Antrobus, Andrew Jarman, Bruce Lindsay, Gary McIntosh, Mark Naley, Peter Carey and Chris McDermott.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/when-sas-state-of-origin-superteam-whipped-the-sandgropers/news-story/27fc9080a636aa53b548a461b654b1f6

Sorry Will, but you did bring up Platten.... :tongue:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Platten went to the VFl about the same tie as Craig Bradley and Stephen Kernahan who could also play a bit.

Certainly made up one of the great State sides at a time when interstate footy was taken seriously.

When SA’s State of Origin superteam whipped the Sandgropers

Kym Morgan, The Advertiser
June 19, 2015 1:37pm

AT THREE-QUARTER time the Sandgropers booed their coach, John Todd, as he left the field ... but perhaps they should have paused to appreciate the quality of the opposition.

It’s 30 years since SA’s all-conquering state team of the mid-1980s added another achievement to its list — belting WA at Subiaco.

The side that took the park that day was one of the greatest the Croweaters have ever fielded and it lived up to expectations, blitzing the Sandgropers 30.18 (198) to 16.15 (111).

Among the assembled talent were Malcolm Blight, Craig Bradley, Stephen Kernahan, Peter Motley, John Platten, Michael Aish, Greg Anderson, Tony Antrobus, Andrew Jarman, Bruce Lindsay, Gary McIntosh, Mark Naley, Peter Carey and Chris McDermott.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/when-sas-state-of-origin-superteam-whipped-the-sandgropers/news-story/27fc9080a636aa53b548a461b654b1f6

Sorry Will, but you did bring up Platten.... :tongue:

Peter Motley was another South Australian jet recruited by Carlton at the time.

Talent scouts reckoned he could've been the best of Bradley, Kernahan and Platten but 

a car accident ended his career at age 22.

Edited by Will27

Certainly a tragedy for the lad.

His father was one of Port Adelaide's greatest, winning 9 flags with that team.

After he retired he had a blue with them and stormed out of the club, taking his photos off the wall on the way out.

Subsequently the boy played his early football with Sturt.

• Like 1

Channel 7 warns the days of big spending on sports are coming to a close, codes they say need to adjust there expectations, the door opens even further for pay as you go....might be getting close to the time we buy a fishing rod fellas....Dennis C knew it was time to leave, plz take that SA jock with you...how nice to see Sandy got of free to air and is now implanted at Fox...a deciding factor on why not to get into foxplay or what ever they call it now....the worst of the worst on calling anything.,....

Melbourne the city who has the Dee's remind us once more....were in the most liveable city....obviously the people who choose don't live there...its god dam cold there right now thats why I escaped to Thailand...the Economist has named the Dee capital for the 7th time as the place to be seen chaps...to live and raise a family....come back home fellas...

Vienna thats in Austria Jo, watch the spelling.,..Austria not Australia came in second while the other big V Vancouver from Canada JO thats on top of the US of A slipped to 3rd....Perth is not mentioned at all....even though they have a higher IQ, seems the Vic's just do it better .....

Neil Craig calls it time....Essendon saga is still brewing some loose ends still to be tied up...The Money Men are dreading a Crows and GWS grand final......Bob Murphy will hang up the boots along with Hawk Gibson who was a North player eat your heart out Fj, B&F in both premiership years.....

North has tied up loose ends on there new coach for next year, its all hush-hush of course as Scott is a loose mouth on camera, Fj will fly from Turkey a few days after the last home and away to be giving the famous number 31 a new MacBook Pro a case of JW Black and told to go back to Thailand there not interested....3rd in TV fantasy didn't cut it with the board....stuck at 4th for most of the season bahhhhh they say...

Bennell the forgotten Docker RON is about to get a game, not the same guy Nacho bailed up under a tree?

In real good news the tip is Apple are going wireless charging....not new you say...true....they like Vic's just make it happen just do it better than everyone else, when Apple do it everyone copies...imagine Jo being able to stick ur iPhone in your pocket it will charge up on your body heat ...and you got a lot of it....no more hard wiring it to something....just the pad will be hard wired to something....whats the difference? gimmick I say...

Multi Million $ boy Chris Ranoldo gets rubbed out for 5 weeks for pushing an ump after being shown a red card and told to get off the pitch....the stress is building there in Madrid....North may make a play for the playmaker can offer an atmosphere of calm and go about you buiz with little fan fare at Arden St, the new railway station might be the deciding factor in luring the worlds top player with the stunning wife to set up home in North Melbourne now the home of kings and queens...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Anyone heard from Ripper yet ?

Has not been on Thaivisa since his last visit August 6th. I'm worried about him  and no doubt others are.

I am back. No problems health wise but my computer died after it tried to have a beer. I am now using my new one. We also had a stint in Bangkok. My bad luck continued there as well. My Australian debit card number was on sold but my Bank stopped the purchases and I lost no money. Also received bad news that an old  mate died back in Australia. They say bad things come in 3s

Grant

The AFL tipping answered.

"Could you please provide us with more information about the user's tips? A screenshot of his tipping page (you would have to ask him to provide you with this) would be really useful for us in order to help you. It would also be helpful to know if he forgot to enter one or more of his tips and was therefore allocated the away team."

After reading your post I replied to them today.

Good tipping for this the last 2 rounds. I was lucky that I had submitted my tips in advance

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I am back. No problems health wise but my computer died after it tried to have a beer. I am now using my new one. We also had a stint in Bangkok. My bad luck continued there as well. My Australian debit card number was on sold but my Bank stopped the purchases and I lost no money. Also received bad news that an old  mate died back in Australia. They say bad things come in 3s

Grant

"Could you please provide us with more information about the user's tips? A screenshot of his tipping page (you would have to ask him to provide you with this) would be really useful for us in order to help you. It would also be helpful to know if he forgot to enter one or more of his tips and was therefore allocated the away team."

Good tipping for this the last 2 rounds. I was lucky that I had submitted my tips in advance

Glad to see you're ok and back mate.

• Like 1

Grant

[/quote

Ahhhh I have the magic spray to fix sticky keyboards etc when you spill the beer over it can send you a spray can for a modest sum worked for me on an apple wireless keyboard.... jo can vouch for it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

Great escape from the Swans. I had to resort to radio commentary as the live feed from AFL.com failed again in the 2nd half. .

My live feed failed halfway through the last quarter:bah:

And I can't even go and watch the last quarter as there's still problems with the website.

Thought the Swans got murdered by the umps tonight but that 50 meter free kick

against Betts on Mills was a shocker I reckon.

Some crucial games to come this weekend.

• Like 1