Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

7 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Don't forget that whilst everyone is playing with a full deck (well there's a few arguments to be had there I'm sure hahaha) the festivities do kick off on Thursday with arguably the match of the round with the Tigers up against the Swans... That'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons... 

Would love to see Sydney give them a belting.

20 hours ago, Will27 said:

I don't think previous history is brought into anymore.

I'm not sure TBH.

His record for prior bad acts extends back 24 months. It will be interesting exactly how that 24 months is interpreted and will probably be the deciding factor if he gets an additional week or not.

The hit on Mathieson was in March 2016, so technically his 2 years is up.

Has he been suspended since?

The Thursday night delimia.....AFL can't do Monday night football, a dead night by western standards, even sunday night another dead boring night...I dont like Thursday night football, makes sense to keep it from Friday to Monday the yanks do it why can't we?

The Demons should get back on track this week though Big Mac looks like he is out at this stage, only playing the Saints though there due for a win....a loss would pretty much turn our season on its head be right back to strugglers and shit kickers....

Well The Socceroos were eliminated last night from the World Cup and what a dreadful game it was, I was so over the commentators I watch with mute sound, according to these highly intelligent human (has)beens there was only one team on the ground in all 3 contests, hey jack.....Australia is of the standard of Bankstown seconds in world soccer....dreadful awful total crap these two dished up for the 3 games, I like to know who hired these two dills, very few intelligent comments Australia centric sounded like they were amateurs with there own UTube channel that my dog would tune in to....SBS should sent a few tapes of Martin Tyler calling games to these two....

Timmy came on and didn't do anything because the delivery for most of the game was just ordinary he managed to get them into some sort of pattern barking orders and whipped cream in a few of there ears...We wont get out of the group stage again until we unearth another Mark Vaduka and Harry Kewel.

I think the football season is too long, maybe because winter is too long in Melbourne, the cricket guys at the G back in the 1850's came up with kicking a ball around on wet grass during winter to have something to do and because they couldn't wear there whites called it football to save the mrs the hard work trying to get grass off there white daks....no automatic washing machines in those days fellas....all done by hand....I suggest we find a way to move the axis so the earth tilts a bit more to move Melbourne closer to the equator, I recon a few carefully placed atomic bombs around the planet could do the trick.....there is consensus in Washington that nuking North Korea and Moscow at the same time could just do this....

• Like 1

<deleted> me gently, 1 week for elbowing a bloke in the eye!

Christian graded it as low impact. 

Michael Walters got a week (he deserved it) for punching a guy in the guts.

Crazy stuff.

Buddy was lucky he didn't get done for striking as well methinks.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-06-28/tiger-in-hot-water-for-parker-elbow

I thought Bud was lucky he didn't cop a week and I think the thing that saves him is Rance's acting ability. IF he wasn't such a good actor Bud would be on the pine.

I heard rumors that Home & Away have offered him a new role...

?

As for Vlastuin copping a week, it was a fair whack to the face and Parker's as hard as a Wombat's arse, if it was someone like Scott Selwood, the bleeding factor would've added another week..

• Like 2

Excellent game on TV last night.   Two teams playing open, fast footy showing off all the skills that make AFL so exciting.    And very few rugby scrums kept the scoreboard ticking over.

I wish my town had Thursday evening salsa classes coz I adore those sultry Latina lasses.

• Like 2

AFL COACHES BY GAMES COACHED

Wins                                               Win %

339 John Worsfold (WCE/Ess) 50.44
318 Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn) 62.58
275 Ross Lyon (St Kilda/Fremantle) 59.45
195 Damien Hardwick (Richmond) 52.82
192 Brad Scott (North Melbourne) 51.56
186 John Longmire (Sydney Swans) 68.82
180 Chris Scott (Geelong) 70.56
149 Nathan Buckley (Collingwood) 53.36
128 Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide) 57.81
106 Adam Simpson (West Coast) 63.68
106 Leon Cameron (Greater Western Sydney) 54.25
102 Alan Richardson (St Kilda) 35.29
84 Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs) 57.14
62 Don Pyke (Adelaide) 65.32
62 Brendon Bolton (Carlton) 30.65
36 Simon Goodwin (Melbourne) 55.46
35 Chris Fagan (Brisbane Lions) 17.14
13 Stuart Dew (Gold Coast) 23.08

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/buckley-lets-go-and-his-message-takes-hold-20180629-p4zol0.html

Interesting read.....Goodwin should take heed...

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Well gang, the upsets continued today with all 3 underdogs winning.

Five out of the top 8 teams lost this round.

Bigwazz and I picked 7 with myself being closest to the margin.

The ladder has taken on a new look and has really tightened up.

The top 4 all being on 90 wins, only separated by percentage.

Bigwazz is one off the pace with 89.

Until next week.

Oops, sorry gang, I thought the AFL website hasn't updated the last game but it had.

So I added one in error.....again!

That means Bigwazz and myself picked 6 and the top 4 are all on 89.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Will27 said:

West Coast moment...….gee that's harsh?

Well Khun Will, it's the only way to explain my form slump... I could've gone with Port but they do the same thing every year... West Coast, like my good self, came from nowhere this year ?

• Like 1

Common sense prevails but TBH, it should never have got to the MRP.

Not guilty: Tribunal clears Tex in a minute

IT TOOK one minute for the Tribunal to decide Adelaide skipper Taylor Walker was not guilty of misconduct on West Coast

midfielder Luke Shuey on Tuesday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-03/not-guilty-tribunal-clears-tex-in-a-minute

• Like 1

Premiership recruiter Gary Buckenara analyses every club’s season and list so far in 2018

FIFTEEN rounds into the season and the teams challenging for a finals spot have emerged, while for other clubs it’s time to look ahead and start planning for 2019.

Premiership recruiter GARY BUCKENARA analyses how every club’s year is tracking, whether they have exceeded or disappointed and the positives and negatives to take from the first four months of the season.

ADELAIDE

Gary Buckenara says: Adelaide has been one of the big disappointments but there are reasons for it and that’s the excuses from injuries to the likes of Rory Sloane, Mitch McGovern, Taylor Walker, Brad Crouch and Brodie Smith, but there are also some big question marks about what has been going on at the Crows. From the weights program over summer to the issues arising from the pre-season camp, there is a lot to be reviewed between now and pre-season starting again in November. When clubs do get a lot of injuries that tests your depth and what we’ve discovered about Adelaide this season is the depth isn’t quite there because players have been exposed to senior football earlier than what the club would have been planning and hoping for.

That can either be a good thing or a bad thing and unfortunately for Adelaide, to this point of the season, it hasn’t been good. I have no doubt though that going forward, when everyone is fit and available, the Crows are still one of the best sides in the AFL. Unfortunately, it’s been a wasted year. I can’t see them playing finals, even despite the come-from-behind win over West Coast last weekend, so it’s time to look ahead to 2019.

The emergence of Tom Doedee, Darcy Fogarty and even Paul Seedsman has been a positive. The priority now is to work out a Sloane plan and a contingency in the event he wants to leave. He’s a restricted free agent, so deciding whether the club will match an offer and force a trade, similar to the Patrick Dangerfield situation, will be critical. All the meetings around that need to start happening.

BRISBANE LIONS

Buckenara says: The Lions’ win-loss record has been disappointing, although they have been unlucky in a few games. I have liked the way the team has been competitive for a half or three quarters before falling away because they are still developing a young group. I don’t mind the way this side is coming together — there are players that have been in the system for 2-4 years now like Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Tom Cutler, that are starting to develop and are combining with senior players like Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko, Stef Martin and now Luke Hodge. I think the Lions have an OK midfield, they probably need a bit more star power, but are lacking an experienced and mobile key forward. Daniel McStay is being used in that role but he’s not really having enough impact to take the pressure off Hipwood and straighten them up. For too long Brisbane has relied on its smalls to kick goals and win games and I’ve seen that from them too often again this year with the likes of Charlie Cameron, who is now out for the season, and even Zorko.

But all in all there are reasonable signs there and coach Chris Fagan looks like he’s pulling the group together and there’s a good feeling around the club.

If Brisbane could get to four or five wins by the end of the season — and Sunday’s upset win over Fermantle was a great start — that would be a good result. I think the Lions are probably another year or two away from really pushing up into finals contention. Investing in the draft again would be my priority this year unless there is the possibility of luring an A-grade star.

CARLTON

Buckenara says: What a disappointing season it’s been for the Blues so far. That loss to Fremantle in Round 13 was probably the worst loss the club has had since it started its rebuild — there were no excuses for that first half. The players obviously weren’t ready to compete. Carlton has been a bit unlucky with injury. Sam Docherty has been a big loss and Marc Murphy and Levi Casboult have also missed extended periods, with the latter so important because he’s a big body who provides the them with structure. The injuries have provided the Blues with some excuses because it’s forced them to play players before they’re ready for AFL footy such as Pat Kerr, Lochie O’Brien and even Paddy Dow, who has been asked to play an important midfield role in his first season.

The club and its supporters need to maintain a level of patience. When you’ve committed to a rebuild you must stay the course because in the past Carlton has been a club, I believe, that has panicked and gone a different direction after wanting to go down another but they got scared and thought no, we need to change and either a coach has got sacked or a big decision has been made. Brendon Bolton is a teaching-type coach but what he needs to focus on as well is building relationships with his players not only as the footballers but as people.

That is so important with a young group. He needs to get to know them and their families because that’s going to be integral in knowing how to get the best out of each individual and how you achieve complete buy-in from the group. That’s a big job for Bolton (and all AFL coaches) and why he needs good support around him to help with the footy side of things.

The Blues have invested in the last three drafts so I think it’s time now for Stephen Silvagni to go out and find some experienced players to help them. Even though it’s a good draft, there would be serious value in Carlton selling off some of their picks, including their first (at this stage pick No.1) to get a Tom Lynch or a Rory Sloane (if the Suns or Crows match a free agency bid) or another class midfielder like GWS’s Dylan Shiel.

COLLINGWOOD

Buckenara says: I’ve been critical of Collingwood’s list and list build but I can’t knock their form. The Pies still have a massive injury list with Darcy Moore, Jamie Elliott, Travis Varcoe, Ben Reid, Daniel Wells, Alex Fasolo, James Aish, Tyson Goldsack, Levi Greenwood and now Adam Treloar and Lynden Dunn all missing extended periods at various times — that’s 11 players that are either walk-up best 22 or would be pushing for senior selection. But to Nathan Buckley’s credit and the players’ credit, they have found a way to cover the loss of some of their best players and win games. That can’t be underestimated as we’ve seen teams this year fall away dramatically in the face of injury problems.

Collingwood is playing a style similar to Richmond with a smaller type forward line that is less predictable but also has a mix of the more traditional structure with Mason Cox and Reid/Mihocek/Moore as second tall options. The big improvement has been in ball use.

The Pies are using the ball with more surety in terms of they know what they’re doing and they seem to all be on the same page now with the game plan. I’m not sure if they quite had that the last few years. The big injury list has allowed Buckley to discover some players and provided guys with the opportunity to step up and/or fill different roles and announce themselves as really good AFL players. I’m thinking of guys like Will Hoskin-Elliott who is really damaging as a high-marking goalkicker, Jack Crisp is excelling at halfback, Matt Scharenberg as an intercept-marking defender, Tom Phillips on the wing, Jordan De Goey has had some outstanding games, Brayden Maynard, Callum Brown has shown some signs again, Chris Mayne has found a role, Cox has improved and of course Jaidyn Stephenson has been outstanding in his first season. Stephenson has actually played better than I expected. He’s looked so comfortable at the level and is providing some x-factor. It’s amazing what happens when you get 22 guys going out there who know exactly what their role is. I take my hat off to the Magpies.

ESSENDON

Buckenara says: The Bombers haven’t lived up to the pre-season hype but in the last six weeks they’ve found their groove and are building towards a potential finals berth if everything goes right. While a lot of media focus was on a perceived lack of pressure around the ball and slow ball movement, I think Essendon has actually just been exposed for a lack of speed, particularly through the midfield. The long-term injury to Travis Colyer — it was great to see him return at the weekend — was a massive blow and the injury to Martin Gleeson, who can play small and tall, has created a bit of a flow on effect with Adam Saad perhaps not being able to get his game going as much as he could because there has been a lot of rotation in the small defender roles with Conor McKenna (suspension and form), Mark Baguley (form) and Andrew McGrath. Joe Daniher has obviously been a massive loss to their structure, although they have pretty good key position depth so have been able to cover him to an extent. Shaun McKernan has been a revelation up forward.

supercoach_perfect9s_728px.jpg
index&td_loadTlcCss=true&td_device=deskt

The Bombers nabbed three big names in last year’s trade period — Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad — and they arrived with big expectations but on exposed form from the first half of the season, I’d give them a cross for impact. But, there have been some good signs since their Round 13 bye and I think by the end of the season supporters will see the benefits — and new dynamic — this trio brings. I know there’s a lot of talk about Smith’s tackle and pressure numbers but in my opinion he hasn’t set the world on fire. Any player in this day can produce big tackle numbers because the game is so congested. I want to see him have more of an impact forward. He’s only averaging 20 disposals a game and has kicked just 10 goals. He was a scoreboard impact player at the Giants, so hopefully he can kick a few more goals in the run home. I think he has the ability to do a lot more. Stringer has been hot and cold and Saad hasn’t quite got his run and dash game going although his game against North Melbourne was a step in the right direction.

Winning five of their past six games has taken the pressure off but I think Essendon would have liked to have had at least 2-3 more wins at this stage of the season to be right up in that top eight and top-four mix. Destiny is in their own hands in terms of finals now with matches against Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn, Richmond and Port Adelaide in their last eight games, these are all teams they are competing against to earn a finals berth. Beat the majority of those games and the Bombers should play finals.

FREMANTLE

Buckenara says: It’s been an interesting season so far for Fremantle and they’re probably around where I thought they’d be in terms of win-loss ratio. They are in a bit of a rebuilding phase, but coach Ross Lyon continues to mix youth with experience and isn’t just playing youngsters for the sake of it. They need to earn AFL games at the Dockers.

Fremantle has been really hard to beat at home but have struggled in away games, so that win over Carlton at Etihad Stadium, without Nat Fyfe and Aaron Sandilands, was massive although the loss to Brisbane last weekend was a step backwards. The injuries to Stephen and Bradley Hill has knocked them around a bit because they bring such speed and class to the midfield and actually, the Dockers have a really deep and damaging midfield when those guys are playing and combining with Fyfe and Neale and taking some of the load of youngsters like Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra and Bailey Banfield. I like the defensive mix with Joel Hamling, who has really found his feet now in that team, Alex Pearce has been really good and Luke Ryan has stepped up, while Nathan Wilson provides great drive off halfback and when Lee Spurr comes back from injury he’ll add to that. It’s the forward line that has really struggled, again. McCarthy hasn’t delivered on his potential, Kersten is now being played in defence and Taberner showed some signs before getting injured but is he going to be a star? It’s the missing link. Lyon should play the kids he’s not sure about in the last part of the season to find out if they can play at the level.

GEELONG

Buckenara says: We were expecting big things from Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett and while the midfield has been good, it hasn’t been sensational and I believe it’s because of the lack of ruck strength at the Cattery. Rhys Stanley and Zac Smith have rotated in and out but neither has been able to establish themselves as the No.1 man and not being able to get first use has affected the impact of the big three. They are constantly on the back foot trying to read the ball off opposition hands. It’s their Achilles heel and has been for some time now.

The Cats have had no luck with injuries with Daniel Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Harry Taylor, Cam Guthrie, Nakia Cockatoo, Brandon Parfitt, Scott Selwood and Esava Ratugolea spending time out long-term but they’ve managed to keep winning games and remain in the hunt. It’s a testament to the depth the club has been able to build and to the recruiting team for uncovering ready-made gems like Tim Kelly and Tom Stewart who are playing integral roles, as well as the likes of Jack Henry, Lachie Fogarty and Jordan Cunico. They’ve found a number of players. And he’s injured at the moment but I want to make mention of Ratugolea. He has been fantastic. Back in 2016 when I named my top 50 draft prospects for the draft in the Herald Sun he was my big smoky. I really liked his power and athleticism and ability to just jump at the ball and he’s shown those traits at AFL level.

The other option would be Matthew Leuenberger at Essendon who’d probably be a more realistic option given he’s not getting a game.

GOLD COAST SUNS

Buckenara says: I haven’t seen any improvement from Gold Coast this year. After an encouraging start to the season it has really unravelled for Stuart Dew and the Suns. More heavy losses and goalless quarters has people again questioning this club’s existence. Injuries to co-captains Tom Lynch and Steven May, Pearce Hanley and Aaron Hall hasn’t helped and has actually exposed the extreme lack of depth. The huge travel toll on the players in the first half of the season due to the Commonwealth Games has also had an influence but how do you explain being up by five or six goals against St Kilda and being overrun in the last quarter? Should have won that game. The Suns gave up pick No.2 for Lachie Weller from the Dockers and he hasn’t delivered. Has had only had 20 disposals or more in five of his 14 games this year. We always talk about culture and recruiting but serious questions need to also be asked about the development and leadership at the club. Look at Jack Martin. He was considered one of the best juniors some have seen and he has shown glimpses but has not developed into the gun we all expected him to be. He’s just one example of several at the Suns.

The Lynch situation is massive. If he decides he wants to leave I would match whatever offer comes his way and make sure he knows that as he begins the decision-making process. The Suns just cannot afford to lose a player of this calibre, or should I say another player of his calibre. Far too many, and we say this every year, far too many good players have left this club and left it struggling to not only win games but to remain competitive. It is a massive concern for the AFL and for football in Queensland.

GWS GIANTS

Buckenara says: It has been another injury-ravaged season for GWS and ultimately will more than likely been seen as a wasted year if they do end up missing the finals. With Jeremy Cameron now sidelined because of a five-match suspension, that makes it really tough as Jon Patton will need to carry most of the goalkicking load and he’s had his own struggles this year. With Josh Kelly, Toby Greene, Brett Deledio, Tom Scully, Rory Lobb, Zac Williams and Will Setterfield all out long-term at various times, that has tested the club’s depth and although I believe the Giants have the best depth in the competition in terms of talent, the development of these players now comes into question. The NEAFL competition isn’t the strongest and these highly-talented players might be finding that level too easy, so when they jump up into the AFL they’re finding it really difficult as they may not have developed the high-pressure skills required for AFL level.

Greene has been sorely missed because he brings that grunt and ability to win the hard, contested footy while also kicking goals and at times doing some spectacular things. The fact they have missed him so much tells me the Giants need more competitors, the guys that are just desperate to lock the ball in the forward line or to tackle or to win the hard ball in the midfield. This team tends to be very good when they have possession but if the opposition has it then they can struggle to win it back, which is so important in today’s game.

HAWTHORN

Buckenara says: On paper the Hawks have a favourable draw coming up and like the Bombers, destiny is in their own hands. I think the Hawks will end up winning enough games to play finals. I had them finishing top four this year but I don’t think they’ll make it. Losing Cyril Rioli to injury and now for personal reasons has been a massive blow because we saw in the early games just how much impact he does have on this group. Forgotten man Grant Birchall also hasn’t played at all this year and barely over the last two seasons, and I think his absence is underrated — his impact across halfback as a reliable defender, ball user and good decision-maker is crucial. James Sicily is having a sensational year, Tom Mitchell has gone from strength to strength, Jaeger O’Meara is showing some good form, Luke Breust is kicking goals again and Liam Shiels has been good in the middle.

I don’t think the current AFL game trends with that flood and run type style is suiting how Alastair Clarkson wants to play. It has exacerbated the loss of Rioli and when Paul Puopolo was out injured they suffered, and I think it has impacted Jack Gunston and that’s why he’s been moved into defence in recent weeks as he’s not super quick in being able to go from defence to attack and lose his defender. So getting his creativity behind the ball has been a move to cover the loss of Birchall, I think.

MELBOURNE

Buckenara says: In the past we haven’t been able to trust Melbourne teams because they’ve been too inconsistent but I think that unbeaten six-week stretch has given this group some belief. The concern is that against Collingwood and Port Adelaide they failed on the big stage, although the loss to the Power was a much-improved effort than Queen’s Birthday. Regardless, I believe the Demons are on the right track — despite the horrible loss to St Kilda at the weekend — but if something happens to Max Gawn they’re in trouble. Melbourne is one injury away from serious problems. Gawn is a workhorse and while he’s been absolutely fantastic, if you work him too hard and he breaks down then it becomes the team’s Achilles heel.

What I like about the Demons is the fact Simon Goodwin hasn’t been afraid to make statements at selection and throw his side around to give opportunities to younger players when form has warranted. Jayden Hunt is in the VFL and so is Jeff Garlett and Dom Tyson has spent time there but the likes of Bayley Fritsch, Charlie Spargo and Alex Neale-Bullen have stepped up and grabbed their chance. Christian Petracca has been a bit disappointing but that can happen with young players and I’ve got no doubt when the big stage arrives he’ll deliver. It will be interesting to see how Melbourne continue to cover the loss of injured Jake Lever for the remainder of the season and who steps up to make that role their own. His loss has obviously thrown a major spanner in the works over the last three weeks and getting the balance and mix right in defence as soon as possible is critical, so they can notch up the wins and secure their place in the eight

NORTH MELBOURNE

Buckenara says: Wow. Haven’t the Kangaroos been the surprise packet so far. North has had a blessed run with injuries and haven’t really needed to make changes to their side as they’ve basically had all of their best 22 players fit and available all season (outside of the injury to Jarrad Waite a few weeks back). Has that run hidden some concerns with their list? Probably. Is the depth in the list going to be there when they do get injuries? Well, they haven’t had to test it this year. But I can’t knock the way they’re playing — they’re playing with real desire and they’re playing with real passion as most North sides have always done.

One of the big positives to come out of the season so far is the form (or should I say return to form) of Todd Goldstein. He’s made such a big difference to the midfield group where Shaun Higgins and Ben Cunnington have been outstanding. I received a lot of criticism last year for not rating Cunnington an A-grade player and the club wasn’t happy about that. If I was rating him now I’d say, given the season he’s had, he’s an A-grader but he’ll never be an A+ player because his ball use still lets him down. He does, however, get A+ for effort and competitiveness. Ben Brown is another one who gone from a B-grader to an A-grader and Higgins is also playing A-grade footy this year. He’s a match-winner. And what about Majak Daw? Finally it appears he’s found the position he’s best suited for at AFL level. I believe he can become a permanent defender for this club going into the future. By playing in defence it allows him to be taken to the ball by his opponent, so he can then use his athleticism to bring the ball to ground or mark it. As a forward he went missing far too often and didn’t read the game well enough, so it’s been a great move by Brad Scott and his coaching group.

While a few Kangaroos, through their performances, have elevated themselves there are still a lot of B and C-grade players on the list and the fact North hasn’t had many injuries means that depth hasn’t been exposed. All credit to them though for their year so far. If North Melbourne play finals it will be one of the stories of the year. A big tick.

PORT ADELAIDE

Buckenara says: The Power have had some really good wins but also some disappointing losses, so we’ll be looking for more consistency from this team in the last two months of the home-and-away season. The win over Richmond would have given them huge belief and no doubt that carried through to the win over Melbourne as well. Port Adelaide has had a good run with injuries outside of Hartlett (knee) and Broadbent, although I’d argue they have probably gone past the latter, so their depth hasn’t really been tested. I think they lack a bit of leg speed on the outside — it was once their biggest strength but now they lack a line breaker.

I think in terms of win-loss they are on par with where they expected to be at this stage of the season after going on that recruiting spree last year to bring in Jack Watts, Tom Rockliff and Steven Motlop. I’d give Port Adelaide a tick for bringing in these three guys on exposed form so far this year, despite Watts being dropped back to the SANFL because I think Motlop is playing better footy now than he did at Geelong and he’s given Port another dimension, Rockliff’s form has been OK — he did have some injuries in the pre-season and often when you go to a new club you can take a little while to adjust but I think he’s finding his feet now. Watts started well but mid-season he’s dropped off as he tends to do. I think he still has more to offer and will make his way back into this team but he needs to build on his confidence and work on his ability to fight through his struggles and tackle and pressure the opposition to get himself into the game.

RICHMOND

Buckenara says: Richmond’s form so far this season has been fantastic and I’d say their form now is as good as it was at the back end of last year. A lot of people wondered whether this group could find that form again and questioned whether there might be a premiership hangover but there’s absolutely no sign of that. The Tigers are playing the football, and displaying the form, that won them the 2017 premiership and that makes them the team to beat as things stand right now. That trademark manic pressure around the footy is there again, their structure up forward is small but effective and they’ve got pace. The way the modern game is being played at the moment, and it’s partly because the style Richmond is playing has been so successful, is like what I call rugby union and it suits them to a tee because they’ve got strong bodies in the midfield who win the ball on the inside, they’ve got great pace on the outside and they’ve got a defence that boasts who read the ball really well.

supercoach_perfect9s_728px.jpg
Alex Rance, David Astbury and Dylan Grimes just keep elevating themselves to the next level. Grimes is the one I’ve been really impressed with in particular. He’s been fantastic this year, he hardly gets beaten one-on-one. Jayden Short, Jason Castagna, Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler and these types also have great pace to run back and beat their opponent to the ball, whether it’s up forward or in defence, and that is a great strength. Richmond is playing a really impressive brand of football.

The only concern I have is what happens if Nankervis gets injured? The Tigers have had a blessed run with injuries again despite the odd hiccup for Dion Prestia and Bachar Houli, but as a whole their best team has been out on the park week in, week out so their depth hasn’t been tested. In the ruck case, if something does happen to Nankervis then where does Damien Hardwick turn? Ivan Soldo is the only option as a genuine ruckman really, while the Tigers have been exposed at times (against Port Adelaide and West Coast) for using Shaun Grigg as second ruck.

ST KILDA

Buckenara says: This season has not been the year the Saints were expecting. A lot of people thought or believed St Kilda would challenge for the top eight and play finals but just three wins so far this season is just completely below expectations. The win over Melbourne was a step in the right direction, finally but there is no hiding behind the fact the Saints have been a complete disappointment. The list is full of good players but they’re all similar types — key position players or guys that are 183/184cm midfielders/half backs. When I look at the list I ask myself: Where are the standout players? Who are the stars? Jack Steven is probably the guy but would you call him an A-grader? He’s great with his speed and desperation but he does butcher the ball far too much and he needs to improve his efficiency with the footy. Finals are gone so it’s time to play the kids and find out whether guys like Nathan Freeman (if fit), Hugh Goddard, Josh Battle, Brandon White, Ben Paton and Nathan Wright can play at the level. Also, Billings needs to play more midfield because he can win some inside ball and is a playmaker.

The biggest issue with St Kilda is its recruiting plan has been turned on its head by the changes to the way footy is being played. The Saints picked Paddy McCartin and Goddard with high picks in 2014 believing it was setting up its key position stocks for the future but unfortunately, those bigger types of players who aren’t super athletic are not effective in the current game. These guys came from the TAC Cup where there had to be structure behind the ball so they got kicks one-on-one but at AFL level there are no restrictions. With so many players around the footy it’s very hard for big-bodied forwards who aren’t athletically gifted to have an impact. They still have talent but this style of footy has really hurt St Kilda and their two prized selections.

SYDNEY SWANS

Buckenara says: What a marvellous side. The Swans have been so consistent for so long and again they are premiership contenders in season 2018. I think they’ll definitely finish top four and at this stage, I predict it will be a Richmond v Sydney Grand Final. It’s a real credit not only to coach John Longmire but also to the recruiting and development teams because they’ve been able to discover young players while staying near the top of the ladder. I actually think, despite what some others say when they look at it on paper, the Swans have good depth. Look at Aliir Aliir, he has just come in and played his role, Nic Newman isn’t getting a game, Dean Towers, Harry Marsh, Lewis Melican and these types — they can all come in and perform a role if and when required.

My only real concerns for the Swans are the ruck position and the forward line. Naismith is out for the season and while Sinclair has improved out of sight, if he gets injured then that spells trouble. Up forward, they still haven’t quite found that second tall to help Buddy and will be hoping Sam Reid can get a decent run at it in the second half of the season. Having said that, I’ve been really impressed by what young Tom McCartin has produced in his first few games. Sydney have uncovered a little gem in Ben Ronke, who has been a good source of speed, tackling pressure and goals alongside Will Hayward, who I really like, and Ollie Florent who can also go into the midfield.

WEST COAST EAGLES

Buckenara says: West Coast is definitely ahead of where we all thought they would be this year following the retirements of Matt Priddis and Sam Mitchell. The challenge for this group heading into 2018 was to find players to step up, take on leadership roles and become the go-to players that Priddis and Mitchell were. They have certainly found the next wave. In the midfield it’s been Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden has stepped up and Chris Masten has found form again, while the likes of Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan and even Jake Waterman up forward have added a new and exciting dimension to a team that was lacking speed and x-factor. The emergence of both Rioli and Ryan has really taken the pressure off Mark LeCras and that has seen the veteran forward find form again after struggling last year. He seems healthier and happier in his footy. It has also given the Eagles one of the most dynamic and dangerous forward lines in the league when you factor in Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and even Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett who often float down there. It is a really formidable forward set up.

Retaining Gaff and Jeremy McGovern is critical. Gaff has become a really damaging player and McGovern’s form and ability speaks for itself. He’s the general in that back half, alongside Shannon Hurn, that is working so well together following the emergence of Tom Barrass and Brad Sheppard, who has been a handy intercept player. The only concern I have with the Eagles is, as we’ve seen the last few weeks, they are vulnerable if key players are struck down with injury. I’m not convinced they quite have the depth to cover the loss of one of Darling or Kennedy or a key defender like McGovern or even Barrass or a Gaff. I will be watching them closely in coming weeks. If they do have a clean run with injuries though and get Kennedy and Darling back, then I think they can go deep in September

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Buckenara says: The last two seasons the Bulldogs just haven’t had any luck with injuries, so it’s like they’ve been chasing their tail to fill holes and try and get players back to get their best 22 on the field. Losing Liam Picken to concussion issues has been massive. He is a heart and soul player and while most will value him for his footy talent, I think he offers more than that in leadership and just the way he plays his footy. He sets the tone and the example for his younger teammates because he’s got a never say die attitude. Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Jack Redpath, Tom Liberatore, Clay Smith, Marcus Adams, Dale Morris and Tory Dickson have all missed extended periods and with a young playing list, that eventually takes its toll.

What the injury issues have done, however, is allowed Luke Beveridge to discover some players. Aaron Naughton has been excellent in his debut season, Bailey Williams has impressed, Ed Richards has been a standout, Patrick Lipinski does some nice things and Josh Schache has started to show some really good signs in the last couple of weeks and glimpses of that talent that saw him taken with pick No.2. I think the Bulldogs would be happy with his development and improvement as the year has gone on. I also like seeing Tom Boyd spend time in the ruck to get himself into the game. If he spends 10 or so minutes on the ball he’s involved in the contest, can fly for marks, get a kick or two and so then when he goes forward he looks like a different player.

I still think that eventually, once this team gets a good run with injuries it can play finals but unfortunately it’s been another season of bad luck for the Bulldogs.

• Like 1

Yes well up to a point i agree with Buck....Pederson should be made more use of, going back 20 ys when the spare ruck came off the bench, he is good if he's running hot  and to run hot Pederson needs to be on the ball, if Gawn falls we would be in deep shit for sure, another article i have seen was was i think Paul Roos some what critical that Frost hasn't been put into the defence since Lever's injury a tall with speed still a babe in the woods should be given a go, Spargo was out against the Saints but hey no Jeff Gartlet...no small quick and smart forward in the forward 50 last sunday...

Then theres Goodwins tactics its bomb it in and hope for Macdonald or Hogan to take it in the air but he forgot to add a small froward to the mix last week...scratch scratch i see the season slipping away...I recon i could coach better geeeeeesssssss...forward of the centre certain players should be playing a zone to to A keep the forward line free from congestion B to pick up loose opposition running out of defence... think we were one of the best teams for inside 50 we just dont capitalise on it.......its not rocket science you know...

• Like 1