Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Are u stuck in Philipines now?  With all the border closures what are the options for you next FJ?

Fj cant find the lappie with all the empty bottles of San Miguel laying around the place....peering out the window looking into the grey Manila street watching them chubby flips   go off to find some brekkie.....well there wont be many on the streets now they at least can cook over there unlike Thai women, they would starve at least the ones with a uni degree, ex TGF's could cook anything that I could eat, well only one would attempt to cook the rest...ha....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

How will the draft selection order be decided this year if there is no premiership to decide placings?

Depending on how many games are played this year I reckon.

If no more games, which IMO is looking likely, last years ladder.

• Like 2

What does the gang think about this?

Afl players have offered a 50% wages cut for the next 8 weeks..  Sounds fair on the first reading, but after further thought, I am not sure. All the support staff are being laid off without pay (not sure that includes coaches) and the game cant be played.  Should the players also be laid off without pay or should there be a 70% pay cut?

afl players cuts.PNG

Edited by BookmanBkk

1 minute ago, Radar501 said:

In a mad panic, FJ rings up the OZ Embassy in Manila from his short time room in Angeles City.

FJ  says,        "Help!!!  We're stuck here in The Philippines and can't get out!!!!"

Official says,  "Sit tight Sir.   We're sending out our Fokker Friendship."

FJ  says,        "Listen!!!!   We don't want your fokker friendship.   We want your fokker help!!!"

Fokker oath!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Radar501 said:

In a mad panic, FJ rings up the OZ Embassy in Manila from his short time room in Angeles City.

FJ  says,        "Help!!!  We're stuck here in The Philippines and can't get out!!!!"

Official says,  "Sit tight Sir.   We're sending out our Fokker Friendship."

FJ  says,        "Listen!!!!   We don't want your fokker friendship.   We want your fokker help!!!"

newgiphy.gif

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Afl players have offered a 50% wages cut for the next 8 weeks..  Sounds fair on the first reading, but after further thought, I am not sure. All the support staff are being laid off without pay (not sure that includes coaches) and the game cant be played.  Should the players also be laid off without pay or should there be a 70% pay cut?

afl players cuts.PNG

I'm OK with it TBH.

It's only for the next 2 months and will be reassessed then.

They (players) are expected to take 70% if it drags on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

The AFL will want some games played again this year... Even if it is only 6 or 10 they will be desperate for the cash.

That could mean no premiership given, or 10 games, finals and a premiership with an asterix?

The boffins at head office would be working on mi mum game scenarios you would reckon....or play into 1st week of November

Have a good old lightning premiership! 

• Like 2

afl players cuts.PNG

Tough one, but ultimately they are the product. Still, you hope that some of the cuts can be used to cross subsidise staff etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm OK with it TBH.

It's only for the next 2 months and will be reassessed then.

They (players) are expected to take 70% if it drags on.

There out of touch with reality......stand them down........at the very least all Melbourne players should be giving back there wages from the start of last season untill now....in fact they should be paying Oz and me to watch there <deleted>....

if i was the AFL i woudnt accept there compromise, think it was the NFL where there had been a player strike...they restocked with B graders and got on with the job...https://deadspin.com/the-1987-nfl-players-strike-created-the-modern-nfl-1819152183 A good read but long, Gil should read this.

The players may be the main stars of the show but there aint no show with out the clubs, 50% pay cut or sack em....bring in the scabs i say...

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Sad 1

I'm seeing the merger or folding of some of the AFL clubs if this season isnt played at all this year.

Gold Coast - has to go, or one of the lesser Melbourne clubs has to move there

GWS - fold it into Sydney or fold them

Melbourne - couple of clubs, maybe 3 might be in danger of folding at the AFL level

Thoughts anyone?

11 hours ago, ozzydom said:

Chris Scott is to work for no salary, what has Gill offered to forego?

Gil has reluctantly withdrawn from the 112th Annual Australia v England Polo Tournament,  this year to be hosted by The Windsor Polo Club,  NSW.   Tally ho and all that.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/112th-polo-international-australia-vs-england-purepolo-tickets-74529003255

r0_0_2603_3809_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Edited by Radar501

Here we go....stuck in doors....and they finally found the answer to that age old question.....How did or where did the cats of Madagascar's forests come from....took a number off scientist with university degrees to work it out....

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/world/madagascar-forest-cats-scn/index.html

I can now Rest In Peace knowing the larger than normal cats were " the Egyptian" type well from the Middle East and north eastern Africa...my cat Prince was rather a large boy with athletic looks and abilities, beautiful to the eye he did attract women to him, an Abyssinian cat and the story goes found in Egypt back in the pyramid days, when I first seen him he was around 5 months old and at a cat show, the breeder had been holding the spirited boy back and showing him, she had been concerned his dad had become, well you know shooting blanks....but had only just found out the old boy was fine so the little fella was up for sale though they normally go out at 3 months she didnt think she would find a home for him.....

When I came to pick him up way across the other side of town.....with my then Italian GF who was a cat lover by the way with her own set of twins, Ive had a few Italian gfs by the way....love the latin look you know....nice backsides and legs....especially Sara, the cat lover...was the first thing I noticed about her....small boobs great behind...great legs, its a formula proven and tested though out time, (ex wife too) one Italian gf was the Sofia Loren type for sure....For some reason ive always met a lot of Euro girls....always wanted to date a Greek got close a couple of times but never to be.....Sara I seen at a singles function standing up against a wall in a black dress cut just above her gorgeous knees with arms bare looking very shy...and my first thought as I moved through the room was......"how do you meet someone like that".......going for a beer every now and then I did spot her.....like she was the only girl in the room for me....eventually the band did kick up and after a few songs hit some latin cords...and you know how I am with latin music....so I turned to my mate Dave and said we gotta find some women...turning around...there was the goddess just waiting for me ask her to dance.....she fobbed me off to her attractive GF so I thought well I got one foot in the door....Dave the <deleted> got Sara, after a few dances I managed to you know muscle out Dave and the rest is history...No way was I going home without her number, I of course met her too soon she had only been out of her marriage a year, took a while to actually pull her, she was around for about 5 ys in one from or another until she rubbed me up the wrong way one day and from then on after the explosion she got the silent treatment.....and everyone hates the silent treatment...I changed were I went to avoid her and mostly it worked, a few times we did end up at the same venue once I was standing right next to her in line at the bar......didnt even see her...she was peeed the look on her face...... ....im very good at not seeing people....last TGF said I can be very cold...pulling a face as she said it...

We did arrive to pick up the cat, she named him Prince, there were 4 Abbys in the room, house cats they only get to go outside if in enclosures and boy were they active....bouncing around like Batman and Robin, get the fella into his cage to go home....,god dam Sara lets him out of the cage in the car.....he cant keep still of course and glad I was driving her car if he decides to do a poo or something she could clean it up.....eventually settling on the back parcel shelf a real live cat..now only 5 months old he was already a big boy, about the size of Cho Cho and Cho is no small small <deleted>zu...but lean and athletic...Sara did come to visit Prince and speak to me sometimes, I just opened the door she came in picked him up and cuddles him on the coach, I just made the coffees and watched....Prince never did miss Sara when she got the boot...shame about that but thats life, we got on with it...eventually after a few more years we moved in with my mum while I was building a new house, she was over pets by this stage and when the arrangement became permanent as my sister didnt want me to move out as mum was ageing and Prince getting out way to many times for his own good found him a new home with a pretty police officer from way down on the west coast of Victoria....

Im not going to be a veggie today.....the goal around 10.30 is to head to Bunnings to pick up some timber and build a storage area hanging off my garage/carport roof beams....in the process of re organizing my stuff because I cant move in there.....and were not scratching the GT....or the new bike.....well the new bike made the area unworkable, it did,  really it did, I tend to be a bit sloppy these days, use to be good at keeping order in all things now days it just gets thrown there...so you know I get home from work and have to unload a few things out of the ute so it gets messy fast in there, now with the new mat black bike which only came in 2 colours by the way gloss and mat black it kind of killed off the spare area I had to be able to walk around free....The bike is an Ebike....there funtastic......love riding it, perfect for us old codgers.....and living out in the sticks we have like great tracks around her im hardly ever on the road....

Dear Cecil:

Recently my roommate, an unusually trustworthy fellow, told me about the 1932 "emu war" in Australia. He said 1932 was a dry year that made 20,000 emus restless, causing them to invade a residential neighborhood en masse. The Australian military had to take them out with heavy artillery. Is this true?

Evan, Greensboro, North Carolina

dope_100806_emus.gif?resize=300,217

Illustration by Slug Signorino

Cecil replies:

Tell a story like this about virtually any other country and my reaction is going to be: this guy needs to change the filter on his hash pipe. With Australia, however, it’s never wise to dismiss crazy claims out of hand. Sure enough, though the account you heard was embroidered, the essence of the emu-war story is true.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2952/did-the-australian-army-once-wage-war-on-emus/  to brighten up your day........

Well having my delayed Expresso bong to get the grey hairs up  and running....poped over to BBC web page and look what I found..... https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52028743

Pep the Manchester City Manager has donated 1 million Euros to fight the Corvid-19 virus, also in that article we find out that Christian Ronaldo and Lionel Messi also have donated 1 million Euros each to fight the cause, I know there all filthy rich and wont ever live long enough to spend there money, so its nice that they give something back to the public that may help. World soccer clubs WILL be doing it hard as well , players are expected to take pay cuts there as well.....pin this article up  on the wall of all AFL clubs , embarrass them into submission is what I would be doing, press really need to now  show some moral fibre  instead of inflating there over grown egos..............................................................

• Like 1

I'm seeing the merger or folding of some of the AFL clubs if this season isnt played at all this year.

Gold Coast - has to go, or one of the lesser Melbourne clubs has to move there

GWS - fold it into Sydney or fold them

Melbourne - couple of clubs, maybe 3 might be in danger of folding at the AFL level

Thoughts anyone?

I can't see the AFL letting GC or GWS go.

They've spent too much time and money on them.

Personally, I don't think they should've started them up.

Blind Freddie can see that there are too many sides in Melbourne.

The bottom line is there's not enough money to go around to support that many sides.

Two months ago, I thought there's no way the AFL will allow any sides to fold,

now I'm not too sure.

Having said that, I'd hate to see a club fold in these circumstances.

• Like 2

No club WILL fold in the short term, the extended comp was for TV, you can see with the Aleague that to few teams have bread boredom into there comp hence one of the reasons there added 2 new clubs and with a second div looming...

Your a doom and gloom merchant mr Bookman....by mid year the season WILL be back on track and there publicly stated that 17 home and away games WILL be played....even if it goes into October.

Once were back on track then its how well prepared the players stayed, going to be a lot of rusty nails out there on the paddock....

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

No club WILL fold in the short term, the extended comp was for TV, you can see with the Aleague that to few teams have bread boredom into there comp hence one of the reasons there added 2 new clubs and with a second div looming...

Your a doom and gloom merchant mr Bookman....by mid year the season WILL be back on track and there publicly stated that 17 home and away games WILL be played....even if it goes into October.

Once were back on track then its how well prepared the players stayed, going to be a lot of rusty nails out there on the paddock....

More of a realist I'd say

This year the AFL revenue will be down approx 50%, if there are no games, well, that is bad news and revenues will drop through the floor. Go into next year and revenues will almost certainly be down due to the recession that the Covid 19 brings on as sponsors are forced to cut expenditure and people cut their discretionary expenses which includes club memberships and game related stuff

With the bad news comes a reality hammer, perhaps one that the AFL has needed for a while. That reality hammer will go all the way through club staffing levels and players salaries, and will the AFL be able to support GC at $30 million a year loss?

The AFL will continue on and the game will continue, but like any business belts will have to be tightened and some difficult economic decisions made

• Like 1

The players are not looking good on this one.

Patrick Dangerfield wants AFL to open its books before players agree to salary cut

AFL players are demanding a look at the league’s books before they agree to any pay cut.

Players’ Association president and Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield has called for “transparency” from the AFL, and confirmed players had been told by the league that their offer of a 50 per cent pay cut for the next two months was not enough.

But he said without seeing the league’s finances and knowing the full effects of the coronavirus crisis, it would be impossible for players to make an informed decision.

“The next step is getting greater clarity around the finances of the game and where the line of credit or whatever it might be sits with the cost of just keeping the whole competition running, without games and without any income. We need to be in sync with the AFL,” Dangerfield said.

“It’s not asking for something that’s totally unreasonable.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The players are not looking good on this one.

Pahaps ttrick Dangerfield wants AFL to open its books before players agree to salary cut

AFL players are demanding a look at the league’s books before they agree to any pay cut.

Players’ Association president and Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield has called for “transparency” from the AFL, and confirmed players had been told by the league that their offer of a 50 per cent pay cut for the next two months was not enough.

But he said without seeing the league’s finances and knowing the full effects of the coronavirus crisis, it would be impossible for players to make an informed decision.

“The next step is getting greater clarity around the finances of the game and where the line of credit or whatever it might be sits with the cost of just keeping the whole competition running, without games and without any income. We need to be in sync with the AFL,” Dangerfield said.

“It’s not asking for something that’s totally unreasonable.

Its fair enough the players want some more info given their role, but they are going about this the wrong way.

Game is shut down, no revenue, they should feel lucky they can draw 20% salary from that situation for 2 months. Doesn't take detailed forensics to know the AFL have a monetary shortfall.
PLayers have been paid 40% of their salary already this year, they can take a 80% cut for 2 months , and during that time the players could have a look at whatever financials they are on about.

The players are paid well and 95%  haven't had exposure to the realities of a life where the club doesn't do everything for them while they bring are paid a <deleted> load of cash.

By my calculations the AFL players total players salary outgoings for 2020 is around $234million. AFL cannot support that with revenue  drastically cut

Players reps sure do need a reality check or they face losing the support of the fans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I can't see the AFL letting GC or GWS go.

They've spent too much time and money on them.

Personally, I don't think they should've started them up.

Blind Freddie can see that there are too many sides in Melbourne.

The bottom line is there's not enough money to go around to support that many sides.

Two months ago, I thought there's no way the AFL will allow any sides to fold,

now I'm not too sure.

Having said that, I'd hate to see a club fold in these circumstances.

In all reality it will probably be several Melbourne clubs that fold or are given the chance to merge interstate

St Kilda Suns

North Melbourne SUns/Canberra/tassie devils.  Probably Tassie expansion now put back another 10 years.

How that sits with AFL fans overall.... wait and see 

Ben Cousins interview is coming to Channel 7 on Sunday night

Some big revelations apparently, ad word on the soi is it could spark an AFL investigation into the 2006 AFL premiership , with West Coast to lose the crown.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-ben-cousins-channel-7-interview-is-brutal-viewing/news-story/d1fac313edc13c2a5602c902ab83b962

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul Roos has his say on footy departments going back to supplying oranges at half time and using unemployed people as game day runners. We could see the homeless being drafted in to give player rubdowns in return for some gatorade and uneaten red frogs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-great-paul-roos-says-football-departments-have-been-escalating-to-an-unsustainable-level-for-years/news-story/0cb37c0e876b35afd27aaacad9c13d80

paulroos.PNG

• Like 2