Songkran: Don't say you weren't warned - top cop gives his best "DONT'S"

webfact

Songkran: Don't say you weren't warned - top cop gives his best "DONT'S"

8pm.jpg

Caption: Songkran dont's

Thai Rath said that a deputy chief of the Royal Thai Police had issued his four major "don'ts" for Songkran. Nobody could claim innocence after these warnings, said the media. 

Citing the page of Pol Gen Wirachai Songmetta - in the legal department of the RTP - they are:

1. Drinking and driving. Penalty one year in jail and fines of 5,000 to 20,000 baht or both.

2. Drinking spirits or beer on vehicles being used to play Songkran. Six months/10K or both

3. Loud and annoying music on vehicles. Three months/2-10K or both.

4. Molesting women. 10 years/200K or both.

But Thai Rath said they were hardly the only things that people could be nabbed for at the annual celebration. 

They pointed out - perhaps with a little sense of fun in their story - that there were many more transgressions. 

Last year people were arrested and stopped for naked dancing, shooting weapons in the air, not wearing seat belts or helmets and having violent arguments.

Welcome to Songkran 2019 and do have fun!

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Loud and annoying music on vehicles" 

That would apply to thousands of offending vehicles nationwide year-round. For many Thais, the level of fun and personal awesomeness equates to the sheer volume of boom-boom loud as <deleted> music. Then there are the trucks loaded down with giant speakers shouting adverts. Stopping it during Songkran? 55555 ???? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They pointed out - perhaps with a little sense of fun in their story - that there were many more transgressions. 

Last year people were arrested and stopped for naked dancing, shooting weapons in the air, not wearing seat belts or helmets and having violent arguments.

I’m not seeing the “sense of fun”

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Last year people were arrested and stopped for naked dancing, shooting weapons in the air, not wearing seat belts or helmets...

So their "laws"are serious a few days every year? But I recall reading that during these few days, it's legal to have people riding on the truck bed. Makes sense...to them?

38 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m not seeing the “sense of fun”

lol. It's all here:

people were arrested and stopped for naked dancing, shooting weapons in the air, not wearing seat belts or helmets and having violent arguments.

It's called sanook in Thailand. :tongue:

"3. Loud and annoying music on vehicles. Three months/2-10K or both."

But when Songkran is over you can return to normal and blast it out as loud as you like (including modified exausts on your motorbikes).

Police, lawyers, and government officials love Songkrang.  It's that one time of year they flex, finger-point, and threaten the public with endless - "DON'T"s. 

I have one too.  Don't come to Thailand this time of year -- it totally sucks.  And if you do come, remember - Don't have fun.

2 minutes ago, passiflora said:

Prison 'll be full quickly

i saw them handcuffing a young thai yesterday, throwing him on their pickup while they extracted bribes from me, guess he didnt have money with him and i couldnt help him as they stole all my money either.

You are spot on. Stay away from Thailand at Songkran, or in general lol.

2 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

That would apply to thousands of offending vehicles nationwide year-round. For many Thais, the level of fun and personal awesomeness equates to the sheer volume of boom-boom loud as <deleted> music. Then there are the trucks loaded down with giant speakers shouting adverts. Stopping it during Songkran? 55555 ???? 

And the buses with decked out with speakers, almost the width and height of the coffins on wheels.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Police, lawyers, and government officials love Songkrang.  It's that one time of year they flex, finger-point, and threaten the public with endless - "DON'T"s. 

I have one too.  Don't come to Thailand this time of year -- it totally sucks.  And if you do come, remember - Don't have fun.

Yep Songkran sucks 

ICE....that is near the top if not #1. These crazy people are throwing ICE water. I have already seem it inChiang Mai. I saw the ICE truck on delivery. This must stop. I f they throw ICE water on my daughter ... I will not be happy.

Actually I just spoke to a friend of our family who’s a retired Thai cop and he said that it’s fine to have alcohol in the vehicles playing Songkran and to actually drink it in the bed of the pickup truck as long as you aren’t disorderly.  My wife’s family is always watching the local news and they haven’t heard any such thing except for no drinking and driving.  No molesting women, children, or ANYONE SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING!!!  

I swear sometimes this site loves to post as negative information as possible and overly exaggerates everything.  

4 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

ICE....that is near the top if not #1. These crazy people are throwing ICE water. I have already seem it inChiang Mai. I saw the ICE truck on delivery. This must stop. I f they throw ICE water on my daughter ... I will not be happy.

I don’t really like the ice cold water either but it is Songkran in Thailand.  

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Never mind the music. More important are idiot$ using modified exhaust systems. not to mention the (new?) trend of using some sort of 'whistles' on manual transmission pickups.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Well yeah you hear the same stuff on this site every year on Songkran yet nothing ever changes lol.  

1 hour ago, passiflora said:

Prison 'll be full quickly

Yeah I kind of doubt it it’ll be a normal Songkran just like every other year before. At least where I live anyway.  Although I hear people get twice as crazy down south in places like Pattaya to the point of running around naked so I think a lot of this is kind of more directed towards down south.  People get crazy up here to and it’s a lot of fun but nothing like what I hear goes on down south.  

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So their "laws"are serious a few days every year? But I recall reading that during these few days, it's legal to have people riding on the truck bed. Makes sense...to them?

some how they are....but again this is LOS, they do as it fits

Archived