Songkran: Don't say you weren't warned - top cop gives his best "DONT'S"

webfact

Just now, webfact said:

Loud and annoying music on vehicles. Three months/2-10K or both

Wish this applied all year round! The problem has been getting worse this winter in Nakhon Phanom. It is not the actual music that is the problem but the 'super bass' capability that most speakers seem to have these days. The music I can tolerate but the erratic thumping bass that u can still hear miles away without the music drives me nuts! You can usually shut out continuous music and/or sleep by closing the windows, using earplugs, or watching TV or listening to your own music, but it doesnt work with the ridiculously strong bass because it resonates in your room and in your head! You just cant shut it out. There are also sometimes travelling trucks that set up in the town for an all day promotion. They roll into town 6 to 7am and drive around blasting out music and their promo speel at at a ridiculous volume presumably to announce their arrival. Once they set up for the day the volume is tolerable. One Saturday an aging Thai 'superstar' gave an outdoor evening concert quite near me. This is nothing new and happens regularly. I have nothing against it. I usually go out in the evening anyway. I think the Thais have a great music scene and its great that everyone can enjoy it even if they cant afford a ticket. But what was new and different was that they set up all the high powered rock concert gear with banks of huge speakers and from 9am onwards blasted out all the advertising speel with those annoying shouting sales voices interspersed with bits of music just like you get on the cruising pick-ups but at rock concert volume! This went on all day right up until theClick to choose fi concert began around 8pm. In fact the actual concert was quieter!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

Uhh yeah number 2 and 3 will be ignored where I live, definitely in my family for sure we’re already planning on doing exactly that number 2 and we already know where all the police checkpoints are and where they hang out.  Regardless where I live the cops will typically leave you alone unless you’re seriously out of control.  The cops are a lot friendlier up here.  

Numbers 1 and 4 should go without saying obviously.  Don’t drink and drive and NEVER MOLEST WOMEN EVER AT ANY TIME.  THERE IS NEVER ANY EXCUSE FOR MOLESTING WOMEN OR CHILDREN OR ANYONE!!!!!!!  

Oooh.

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So their "laws"are serious a few days every year? But I recall reading that during these few days, it's legal to have people riding on the truck bed. Makes sense...to them?

But they ride in the back year round ????

11 hours ago, webfact said:

1. Drinking and driving.

Penalty one year in jail and fines of 5,000 to 20,000 baht or both.

2. Drinking spirits or beer on vehicles being used to play Songkran.

Six months/10K or both

3. Loud and annoying music on vehicles.

Three months/2-10K or both.

4. Molesting women.

10 years/200K or both.

Why not enforce all of these rules with the said penalties year round?  No reason why any of these things should be permitted (or ignored) ever.

2 hours ago, Jadam said:

If that's true, I never knew that. 

I suspect in reality it's more like DLT's wishlist and not really the law. 

On a side note, in the US, riding in the back of a pickup is actually legal in most states. So the only conclusion you can deduce is that either it is legal in Thailand, OR, that laws do NOT actually save lives, since the Thailand car accident death rate is much higher than the rate in USA despite Thailand having stricter laws. 

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh, if only!

Does it apply to those annoying advertising trucks too the rest of the year - or probably just selectively.

Tonight. Tonight. Bangla stadium. Thai boxing. (Repeat ad nauseam)

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh, if only!

Does it apply to those annoying advertising trucks too the rest of the year - or probably just selectively.

It's  so pathetic  its  just laughable ain't it, get them round by me selling crap usually, distortion to the max, lovely, hand grenades  optional!

On 4/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

i saw them handcuffing a young thai yesterday, throwing him on their pickup while they extracted bribes from me, guess he didnt have money with him and i couldnt help him as they stole all my money either.

You are spot on. Stay away from Thailand at Songkran, or in general lol.

Of you dont mind me asking, what were they checking for?

Archived