Buying GREAT Coffee Beans in Pattaya

WaveHunter

2 hours ago, balo said:

Yes I agree, and of course it's cheaper to buy directly from the supplier in Chiang Mai.  
But if you do not want to wait for a package to arrive from Bangkok, there is another place worth mentioning. 

Red Hill Coffee , in Jomtien.

The owner also owns the farm in Chiang Rai and harvest his own beans.  And I would say the quality is exceptional.  Premium beans light drip roast are 380 baht last time I checked, but you can ask for a discount.  

https://www.facebook.com/Redhillcoffee/?rf=730735410466513

Good to know; I’ll check it out.  The Chaing Rai region is known for outstanding coffee beans!  Thanks.

• Like 1

I find some of the CM coffees bitter.  If they are mixed with another bean seems better to me.

Lanna coffee is good.

Probably for here like McDonald's to some, but a fine grind Boncafe Expresso does it ok for me.

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, balo said:

Yes I agree, and of course it's cheaper to buy directly from the supplier in Chiang Mai.  
But if you do not want to wait for a package to arrive from Bangkok, there is another place worth mentioning. 

Red Hill Coffee , in Jomtien.

The owner also owns the farm in Chiang Rai and harvest his own beans.  And I would say the quality is exceptional.  Premium beans light drip roast are 380 baht last time I checked, but you can ask for a discount.  

https://www.facebook.com/Redhillcoffee/?rf=730735410466513

Anyone know how to order their beans through Grab?

Red Hill Coffee can be found on the Grab app, but coffee beans are not listed there.

What is wrong with vaccum sealed coffee beans?  Does it really need to be roasted recently to be good?  I know that can be the case with ground coffee, but not coffee beans.  At least not espresso.  I buy vaccum sealed beans and grind as needed.  Tasts better than anything I can get at Starbucks or wherever that's for sure.  

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

What is wrong with vaccum sealed coffee beans?  Does it really need to be roasted recently to be good?  I know that can be the case with ground coffee, but not coffee beans.  At least not espresso.  I buy vaccum sealed beans and grind as needed.  Tasts better than anything I can get at Starbucks or wherever that's for sure.  

No need to buy beens vacuum packed IF they have recently been roasted and you plan to use them within a week or so IMHO.  If they are going to sit on store shelves or in your cupboard for longer however, vacuum packed makes sense. 

Same is true of refrigerating them; no need if you use them quick enough. Personally I think oily type of beans taste better if they are at room temperature when ground.  Maybe it's just my imagination but the coffee seems to taste a little richer.

Some people actually freeze beans.  Personally, I think that's a big mistake.  Perhaps I'm wrong but I think freezing them and then thawing them out causes ice crystals to damage integrity of bean and thus affect flavor.  Just my personal opinion based on trying it and noticing a difference in flavor I did not like at all.

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

No need to buy beens vacuum packed IF they have recently been roasted and you plan to use them within a week or so IMHO.  If they are going to sit on store shelves or in your cupboard for longer however, vacuum packed makes sense.  Same is true of refrigerating them; no need if you use them quick enough. 

Some people actually freeze beans.  Personally, I think that's a mistake.  Perhaps I'm wrong but I think freezing them and then thawing them out causes ice crystals to damage integrity of bean and thus affect flavor.  Just my personal opinion based on trying it and noticing a difference in flavor I did not like at all.

Both freezing and keeping beans in a fridge is not to be recommended (although some say possible).

Most experts(?) say keep in a dark sealed container in the cool – the obvious problem is the ambient temperature in Thailand is high. If one is lucky enough to have a wine fridge then that is perfect !

13 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Both freezing and keeping beans in a fridge is not to be recommended (although some say possible).

Most experts(?) say keep in a dark sealed container in the cool – the obvious problem is the ambient temperature in Thailand is high. If one is lucky enough to have a wine fridge then that is perfect !

Makes sense to me.  I guess that would be the real mark of a true coffee connoisseur, buying a wine fridge...for your coffee beans!  Maybe take it even a step further and dig a nice cool wine cellar for them. ???? 

Practically speaking though, I think it's the oil of the bean that's most susceptible to becoming degraded so keeping the beans in an airtight container is the most important thing.

Edited by WaveHunter