I love BKK

Pattayabeerbacon

2 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I dunno how dudes live in jomtien or pattaya long term.

Chon buri does something terrible to my head, I  end uo blowing all my money and getting the DTs from the drink and end up leaving broke, stressed , scattered and unsatisfied.

A normal boring day in bangkok is much more satisfying than a week in pattaya on the drink with women around me.

Sorry but thats how i perceive thailand in 2019.   

That's one of the maddest post ever. You're talking about yourself but blaming a region. This Dude lives quite happily with long term girlfriend in Jomtien. Nice quiet bars if you want, a clean beach to relax and swim, and none of the craziness of Pattaya. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dode57k said:

That's one of the maddest post ever. You're talking about yourself but blaming a region. This Dude lives quite happily with long term girlfriend in Jomtien. Nice quiet bars if you want, a clean beach to relax and swim, and none of the craziness of Pattaya. 

if he is happy then so be it, I would go stir-crazy and turn into a raging alcoholic but then again i need a reason to get up in the morning.

Swimming in Jomtiens polluted beach and getting off my head in some empty bar with a long term barfine seems like hell on earth to me, Sorry but it just doesnt cut it.

15 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I love BKK. I live near Rachatewi BTS and there are all the luxuries I need in a 10 min walk or less. In the same 10 min walk are quiet local sois with the cheapest of everything. Great 5 star restaurants and hotels , tons of cheap nice clean hostels. The BTS, the canal taxi , several huge malls, MBK, easy to get cabs on and on! Bangkok is grown up and Pattaya is just for the rest of the ————.  I love being here 1/2 the year and already homesick for BKK because I have to return to the States tonight. 

I feel you. Been back a week and jonesing for BKK. But, the air is clean and the weed is chronic here in the Golden Land!

On 4/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, KittenKong said:

I find that in most respects Pattaya is cheaper than Bangkok. Bangkok does have its attractions: good choice of restaurants and shops being the main ones. It also has some sophistication that Pattaya could never be accused of having.

But the main problem is Bangkok is that it is too big and too hard to get around in. So you really need to live within walking distance of everywhere you need/want to go to regularly. If you can do that it's OK.

Having lived in Bangkok in the 90s when it really was difficult to get around , now its a comparative breeze with the skytrain/ underground . You youngsters dont know how easy you got it .

I dunno how dudes live in jomtien or pattaya long term.

Chon buri does something terrible to my head, I  end uo blowing all my money and getting the DTs from the drink and end up leaving broke, stressed , scattered and unsatisfied.

A normal boring day in bangkok is much more satisfying than a week in pattaya on the drink with women around me.

Sorry but thats how i perceive thailand in 2019.   

This is true . Why do you think so many old sexpats are sadly jumping out of skyscrapers in Pattaya . Do yourself a favour, it sounds to me you dont like Thailand , so get out , go home where you will be safer , or find another country where the depravity index is not as high . like Hong Kong for example . Less trash there too .

12 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Having lived in Bangkok in the 90s when it really was difficult to get around , now its a comparative breeze with the skytrain/ underground . You youngsters dont know how easy you got it .

Yep.

Especially with grabbike its super cheap to get from A-B  and you only need a thai SIM or access to WIFI.

Thats like 100 baht return from most Inner city destinations during non peak hour times.

11 minutes ago, Scutty said:

This is true . Why do you think so many old sexpats are sadly jumping out of skyscrapers in Pattaya . Do yourself a favour, it sounds to me you dont like Thailand , so get out , go home where you will be safer , or find another country where the depravity index is not as high . like Hong Kong for example . Less trash there too .

Old guys jump from health reasons - young guys jump because of love reasons.  Do you know what the young to old jumper ratio is?  I think the young guys are in the lead.  Less and less though as foreigners can no longer afford to live in Thailand.  Nanny staters are ill equipped to live in Thailand expecting the protections they have become used to back home.  I liked Bangkok except for the air. If one could live there and not breath it would be a great spot.  I still go once a month or so for shopping.

21 hours ago, jimn said:

You must be able to afford it if you even consider paying 20k for a steak meal. Good luck to you. But no way on earth would you get me paying it. Unless I was with Yaya of course.

I was responding to a local of that area, who doesnt quite understand the high cost of a fake western life in BKK.  He said my statement about a 20K dinner date gave me no credibility.  It was even more than I thought, and certainly wouldnt leave you the 5K that "everyone" now gives uneducated, tattooed issan single moms for the night.  My brother told me he is doing 12 packs of Black and Tan from the oldest brewery in America and a 13 ounce new york strip (usda choice) for 15 USD in Virginia, 2019 ncaa bball champs.  So that will likely be my next steak dinner.  I too, love BKK, but it sure as heck isnt about duplicating life in suburban DC.  I enjoy the heck out of a nice china-thai duck soup for forty THB.  Sure as heck cant do that in the west.  

57317133_2622554531107613_1459138980455907328_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

lived in BANGKOK for 4 years . no thanks, exhaust pollution, condo 17,000, now condo 9,000 with sea views, beer 60 baht not 150, and the list goes on, live Jomtien , can get the baht bus for 10 baht if i want to party, then back to tranquility, its a win win, oh,!! a bonus, i can breathe now

13 hours ago, mercman24 said:

lived in BANGKOK for 4 years . no thanks, exhaust pollution, condo 17,000, now condo 9,000 with sea views, beer 60 baht not 150, and the list goes on, live Jomtien , can get the baht bus for 10 baht if i want to party, then back to tranquility, its a win win, oh,!! a bonus, i can breathe now

Don't be so quick to judge... Bangkok pollution is worse than Pattaya but not always and not by so much... both have unsafe levels.  Secondly sure you can get a baht bus but you can't get a aircon taxi to take you for the same price as a motorbike in Pattaya.  And good luck getting the 20 baht rides with the mbike mafia in Pattaya. And you have the bts in bkok to travel crosstown.  The only advantage Pattaya has is cheaper rents but then again you are in Pattaya lol.  Bangkok may not be so desirable but taking Pattaya sure as hell isn't any better. 

I had an appointment in Bangkok two Thursdays ago, so drove down with my wife and young grandson on Sunday the 14th and stayed a few days.  Being Songkran, there was very little traffic the whole way there, and in town itself.  Monday we went to the ancient city (Mueang Boran) to take advantage of the lack of cars, the rest of the time we did a few of our favourite things in Bangkok:

Taking the BTS to MBK and slowly walk back through the shopping centres and sky walk to Ploenchit without going down to the street (except for the bit at Chidlom where I'm too tight to pay 3x 16 baht just to walk through the station).  I like that open space outside Paragon, where there's often a show or display going on, and the fountain playing while the trains come and go above it all.

Take the public boat from Saphan Taksin to Nonthaburi, have lunch there and take it back again.  Sitting on the left hand, sorry nautical coves, port, side of the boat in both directions, so we get to see both sides of the river - the people, the architecture, and the river traffic, and get the shady side on the way back.  (Definitely not POSH, more POPH).  

Take the BTS to Emporium, take a lift to the top of the Helix Quartier building, walk down the spiral, stopping at one of the restaurants for a feed, then down to the sky garden, jump up and down on the glass bridge (not really), back inside to walk through the 'Another Story' shop, and down to the courtyard where there's always a market or beer garden going on.  Then, across Sukhumvit to do a lap of the park and a quick spin in the playground for my grandson.

I wouldn't want to do these things every day, and I'm a strong advocate of country living, but Bangkok is great for a few days every so often.  Just regular enough for it to be a treat, but not enough to become jaded.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:01 PM, mercman24 said:

So mostly your complaints are about money and another ?? cost of beer reference....

Sure, it is a big city and more expensive if one cannot afford it then I guess move on.

I personally find it one of the greatest cities in Asia.  I love the diversity and many many other things about it.

I lived there for 2 years and would have no problem going back.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, hornetsmad said:

Where is this place? 

Yaek Tiwanon.. They have a Facebook group.. Friendship Bar.. Mostly Thai.. some ordering reasonable food.  It's chill, but will get crowded on the usual days and times.  I would go more often, but I am usually only near MRT during the day, when they are closed. Promos might be in Thai only, but generally a buy 3 get one free.  

1 hour ago, Mansinthe said:

17000 sounds a bit much doesnt it?

I stay in a 2 room condo with furniture, internet, water, electricity included.

The place has a gym, swimming pool and washing machines. Close to the MRT. 

For 13000 baht.

You dont know where he lived. Big difference from Asoke rent lower sukhimvit compared to the last MRT. You can easy pay 25k for The latest development 3 mins from the Asoke BTS. Its all relative. The biggest attraction when reading rental ads are the words "close to BTS , MRT" which in nearly all cases is not close at all but a 15 to 20 min walk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, madmen said:

You dont know where he lived. Big difference from Asoke rent lower sukhimvit compared to the last MRT. You can easy pay 25k for The latest development 3 mins from the Asoke BTS. Its all relative. The biggest attraction when reading rental ads are the words "close to BTS , MRT" which in nearly all cases is not close at all but a 15 to 20 min walk

Yes a frequent type of post which never mentions the exact location and certainly not the soi.

i'm a bkk lover.  i lived in pattaya in 2006 and half of 2007.  then tried phuket (patong and kata) for half 2007, 2008, half of 2009.  w/o getting to detailed/lengthy, my main issues with those areas were transport and tourists.  i hated the baht bus system in pattaya, who wants to ride in the back of a pick up with no air con ? didn't want to own a car.  i think we can all agree transport in phuket is horrid.  and i was always treated like a tourist (understandable) but i hated walking down the street and being asked if i needed a suit, a pair of sunglasses, a massage, a seafood dinner, a tour of some sort, etc...  in pattaya/phuket can't walk down the street w/o getting hammered with this stuff nearly every minute (unless you live outside the main town(s) and have a car).

so i moved to bkk the second half of 2009 and have been here ever since. BTS/MRT is great.  once you get to know the city/traffic patterns, you can take air con taxi's from time to time.  i rarely get asked if i need a suit, massage, etc...  and i'll certainly take soi cowboy and nana over walking street or bangla rd in terms of entertainment.  i've never been back to pattaya and i know there are more malls there now but hard to beat bkk when it comes to shopping malls and decent restaurants.  i've been back to phuket a couple times and it was horrible.  won't ever go back there again.

for a single guy that doesn't want a car and hates touts, bkk is the spot to be (i've also spent some time in buriram and i won't be living 'upcountry' anytime soon).  as far as finances, i spend about the same amount here in bkk than i did in pattaya/phuket.  i don't see cost of living being determing factor when choosing btwn the three (certainly a place like buriram is far cheaper).

edit:  i should add i never take mototaxis, bkk, pattaya, or phuket.

I like big cities, so I like Bangkok.

That is until I started experiencing health issues due to pollution and food poisoning.

Unfortunately, the city will always be and remain third world.

Archived