Moving from Pattaya to Bangkok

Hi everyone,

1. I lived in Pattaya for 4 years (April '15 to '19), am currently in UK and return to Thaland on 29th April when my permanent residence (rented condo) will be in Bangkok.
I assume the condo office (they are efficient) will send a TM30 to Immigration on my arrival. Do I need to take a TM28 to the Immigration Office at CW within 48 hours or is this not essential?

2. I live in Thailand on a visa extention based on retirement and have renewed this easily 3 times at Immigration in Jomtien in '16, '17 and '18.
Renewal is due again in July 2019. Must I renew in Bangkok at CW or can I return to the Jomtien office? My bank is in Jomtien but I'll still be living in BKK.

Thanks for any and all useful information and Happy New Year everyone!

1. You should submit a TM28 form to Chaeng Wattana immigration. No need to be in a rush to do it.

2. You will have to your extension of stay application at Chaeng Wattana since you will be living Bangkok. 

You bank branch being in Jomtien will not effect doing the application in Bangkok. You should not have a problem getting a letter from any branch of your bank. All the major banks have a branch on the ground floor of the building where immigration is at.

1 hour ago, orientfan said:

I assume the condo office (they are efficient) will send a TM30 to Immigration on my arrival.

I wouldn’t assume anything. When you move in you can ask them to ensure a report is made and get a copy of the receipt. If they won’t do it you could report yourself in the capacity of possessor.

1 hour ago, orientfan said:

Do I need to take a TM28 to the Immigration Office at CW within 48 hours or is this not essential?

It’s not something CW generally enforce. Although they seem to be tightening up on address reporting.

Unless you need to do a 90 day report before you renew your extension in July I don’t see it as essential.

You could do it by post to save a trip to the government complex.

I can only relate my own experience. Last June (2018) I moved from Pattaya to BKK. Same as OP on retirement renewal.

To cut a long story short: CW expected me to submit the TM28 and TM30. Documentation is required and depending on the IO you are dealing with and the circumstances the Landlord may also need to attend at immigration.

I have receipts for both TM 28 and TM 30.

Important to have these receipts which I keep with my passport. OP says he has an efficient condo office, so if they can provide him a TM 30 receipt from immigration then no problem.

I did my annual extension at CW and do the 90 reporting  by post.

Edited by R123

re 1 I wouldn't take that for granted at all. I moved in to my new large BKK condo building on 19/03 despite many verbals requests, 3 meetings and finally threatening emails I got the information required for the tm 30. The Owner and agent denied any responsibility to lodge. Finally got the info on 13/04 and lodged at CW the next day and got hit with a fine but they gave me some good info there; register and lodge online yourself, so I suggest to cover your rear you do that.

Edited by AntipodeanThai

Just in case you are not aware, make sure you bring yourself up to date on the new financial requirements for an extension based on retirement. There are numerous threads on the matter on Thai Visa.