Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I admitted my guilt, and apologize if some of my posts occasionally hurt someone s feelings. As I said many times, to base the perception of reality just on the physical aspects gives one a limited view. Admitting that there's more than can be seen is a sign of open mind imho.

I believe that there's an intelligent design at work, I can see it every day, reflected in the physical reality. 

God can have infinite forms, but it's difficult to discuss that with anyone.

Who is your God ?

Something that missing, and that is your innerself as togehter with the physical experience, and external force, and your inner force and power. That is 3 things you can not forget influence your status Q on every day basis.

I can cultivate my daily feelings from inside out, not only searching for an external force, or the physical exerience as well, that both comes from your innerselv as external trought your senses. 

As said many times before, nature is my god, but only if I accept it, and deal with my experiences, cultivate them, accept the physical laws bound to it, and so much more that is hard to explain. I guess the search is the life it self for many. 

However, a writer I had great use for earlier in life, whas Paulo Cohelo, with many of his books still on top of my mind who have influenced me, or maybe better said guided me to correct my feelings, and actions on a very simple and childish way. It is so simple and beautiful what he have done for many, but still also hated and discraced by many others as well, and that is remarkable that people have the time and energy to actually waste time on a writer they dissagree with, and somehow make them feel so strong. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Paulo Coelho is one of my favourite too. "Warrior of light" is my travel talisman since more then 20 years, a small and yet quite useful book. Sometimes I open a random page, and meditate on those pearls of wisdom.

But you know he is a charlatan, and under the right time and circumstanses And even today som places, he and his followers would be persecuted and even killed. 

His messages is so strong yet so obvious and simple that it is treathning religious and politics. 

The beauty of simplicity in practice. 

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

But you know he is a charlatan, and under the right time and circumstanses And even today som places, he and his followers would be persecuted and even killed. 

His messages is so strong yet so obvious and simple that it is treathning religious and politics. 

However, I can not pick one specific book as a favorite above another of those I read, since every book had its time and importance when I read them, but The Alcymist Was my first of him, and openend my eyes for his writing and messages. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I thought Veronika Decides to Die was an excellent read... 

Thats one of many, as well The Devil and miss Prym and Eleven minutes. 

I might have to pick up som reading of his new books, and see how I feel about him today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's a sign of mental illness IMHO.

"Admitting that there's more than can be seen is a sign of open mind imho" 

-mauGR1-

Both opinions may be right, depending ones own opinion about religion/belief/creator/gods/God... 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Tagged said:

But you know he is a charlatan,

Why is that?

I read his books many years ago and found them quite good. I think he took ancient teachings and polished them down to their essence, making them accessible for a wide audience. He also dusted off all the religious debris from them, which appealed to the non-religious crowd. 

I think he did a good job. Why is he considered a charlatan? 

15 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Well, I would not judge him as a person, I know that a lot of exceptionally gifted people have a rather scary dark side.

I just like his writing style, and he seems rather inspired in more than few occasions.

Perhaps, if I met him in person, I would find him pompous and boring ????

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I would not judge him as a person, I know that a lot of exceptionally gifted people have a rather scary dark side.

I just like his writing style, and he seems rather inspired in more than few occasions.

Perhaps, if I met him in person, I would find him pompous and boring ????

Im not judging him as a charlatan, I rather like to look at him as a guide to your own truth, the truth you have not managed to express yet, and for some that is painful and difficult to take in. 

I have seen other people and groups judged him as a charlatan, and Given him many other characteristics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I think he took ancient teachings and polished them down to their essence, making them accessible for a wide audience. He also dusted off all the religious debris from them, which appealed to the non-religious crowd. 

I think he did a good job. Why is he considered a charlatan? 

I guess it is hard to find up the wheel again, and claim it is yours, but you can improve it, make it more technical, and both, make it lighter and stronger for its purpose. 

For thousands of years great thinkers have shared their thoughts, and inspired each other, so it is hard not to copy anyone, but you can reach people of your time so they reconize themselves and make the story to their own by reading. He is good at draw the people in to his own stories, and make them feel what he write. Thats what a good storyteller does, and they make a impact on people one or the other way. Feelings, chemicals, reward

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

Of course it has value, but not because they are ancient. The teachings described in the Tao Te King, the Baghavad Gita or Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (to name a few) contain timeless truths that are as valid today as they were hundreds or thousands of years ago....and will be for many years to come.

I believe people are ignorant useless unknown about the past silkroad with the trade of goods, and gods as philosopies and politics, and there where great thinkers in Asia and europe as middle east 3000 years ago, and alot of what they have been teaching is as valid today. The human brain have not changed much in 35000 years, and they believe we where at the top 10000 years ago, when we have to use more of it on daily basis to just survive. 

However I did not find the exact article now, so I have to serve this one instead.

"Human intelligence 'peaked thousands of years ago and we've been on an intellectual and emotional decline ever since'"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/human-intelligence-peaked-thousands-of-years-ago-and-weve-been-on-an-intellectual-and-emotional-8307101.html 

Edited by Tagged

3 hours ago, Brigand said:

Can't read 572 pages of this thread so don't know if it has been said before on here, but there are three possibilities on this one and they are a) there is God b) there are aliens or c) there's both. Nothing happens without reason and faith is a personal thing that works for many. It is hard to comprehend the universe in it's massiveness but it seems like it's existence is somewhat unlikely without some motivating force of some nature. What you believe in floats your boat and helps you to operate and rationalize so it's horses-for-courses, I guess. Whether it goes deeper and these ancient books and texts etc. are indeed correct has perplexed the minds of the best brains for a very long time. I guess there is no definitive answer either way, just maybes ... but that's the whole point of faith and if it was proven one way or another then the idea would change/fail which is not what's supposed to happen.

I certainly believe in good and evil and that seems to depend on your point of view and where you come from, otherwise there wouldn't be so much discourse and hate in the world. Religion has certainly been abused and used for certain nefarious ends by some less than virtuous types but that doesn't mean that it's wrong or doesn't exist ... just that it's truth has be lost and corrupted. If belief/faith helps you live your life in a way that is positive to you and those around you, then OK. If it consumes you to the point where you are killing, enslaving, destroying others and using it as an excuse to spread hate/negativity etc. then you have failed and deserve justice. Funny thing is, if you believe in God then you also have to believe there is a Devil around and there sure seems like he is around these days and it is often said that the Devil's greatest trick is to convince people that he doesn't exist. As for the alien thing, then most credible scientists believe it is simply impossible for there not to be life elsewhere considering the size of the universe ... even if just haven't found it yet (or they haven't told us yet).

A fair and balanced post. Nice one. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Tagged said:

"Human intelligence 'peaked thousands of years ago and we've been on an intellectual and emotional decline ever since'"

I disagree. We've been increasing knowledge ( and still do ) since men emerged from the slime.

That doesn't mean that intelligence has been increasing, and that is definitely on the decline. I don't know when it was at it's peak though. I'd guess after WW2 when there was hope for a better world. Far as that goes greed won and we as a species are doomed, IMO.

Emotionally, IMO, humans are still cave dwellers afraid of the "other".

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree. We've been increasing knowledge ( and still do ) since men emerged from the slime.

That doesn't mean that intelligence has been increasing, and that is definitely on the decline. I don't know when it was at it's peak though. I'd guess after WW2 when there was hope for a better world. Far as that goes greed won and we as a species are doomed, IMO.

Some other say we degreased when we started braking off from natural selection when agriculture erea started. 

what do you base your statement «more knownledge» on? I mean compare to a hunter 10000 year ago, succes ment live, fail ment death! Living in pact with nature is not only instinct. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only the OP is the topic. Even if every poster diverts that doesn't mean they are on topic.

So read the OP

"

It has fasinated me for years that people can believe in god and that Jesus was born to his virgin mother .

When you realize that there are so many billions of planets across hundreds of billions of light years.

It must be great to believe in a God and that one day you will be reunited with your loved ones a lady once said to me that she knows she will meet Jesus when she dies,i thought gosh he must be busy sitting down with the billions of people who die.

Do you really believe in him or any of the other Gods ?"

This is clearly about Christianity not just "God".

54 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Nonsense! - What on earth makes you think that natural selection has been broken away from?

I have to ask you in same manner, what on earth makes you think we still have natural selection today? 

Who and how did they build the pyramids? Can we do it today with the same methods and tools?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

From what i see in the west at the moment and the "protests" that are going on ,i fear that the upcoming generations are reverting back to to a time when they were not educated ,i fear for the future, and agree ,as a species i think we will not survive very well.