Tomatoes

btate

As I'm very fond of tomatoes I am constantly disappointed with the quality of

tomateos that are regurlarly available in Thai markets.

Now I know that the environmental conditions are really different from what

I'm used to. But surely there must be a tomato that can do well, not just

survive in this climate. I don't think Floridians or others living in the tropics

go without decent tomatoes.

Has any one had success in growing these vegetables in similar climates?

If you have would you mind shareing the methods and variety grown?

Bt

I grew organic tomatoes in California and sold surplus in markets there. I've found that growing them here is different, but do-able.

I focus just on cherry tomatoes. Larger tomatoes just don't fare well for me here. Plus cherry tomatoes have great consistent flavor. I'd like to find some types of yellow tomatoes (all sizes) - if anyone knows of seed, please let me know.

Also: don't plant twice in the same space. Allow a year of two to go by, because root nematodes might ruin a 2nd crop in the same bed. There is no reason to grow tomatoes by any means other than organic. There are no pests for them.

They like lots of tilth, manure and to be watered liberally once a day.

You can dry surplus, or can them - though canning jars are not available in Thailand - you'll have to improvise. I can surplus with garlic and semi-hot peppers added. One year I put surplus in baggies in a freezer, but then the electric pooped out - so the whole mess went bad.

I to am fond of tomatos, and this year I found seeds from Thailand that produce a very nice tastey tomato. They have comparable flavor to the ones I used to enjoy in the US. The company name is , Chua Yong Seng Seed Co., Ltd. Phone 662 225-4313 The name of the variaty on the pack is F1 Hybrid tomato. I sprouted the seeds in peet pots and planted them in full sun. They have done very well and have lots of tomatos, about 3 inch. in diameter. It has been a real treat having them.

I grew organic tomatoes in California and sold surplus in markets there. I've found that growing them here is different, but do-able.

I focus just on cherry tomatoes. Larger tomatoes just don't fare well for me here. Plus cherry tomatoes have great consistent flavor. I'd like to find some types of yellow tomatoes (all sizes) - if anyone knows of seed, please let me know.

Also: don't plant twice in the same space. Allow a year of two to go by, because root nematodes might ruin a 2nd crop in the same bed. There is no reason to grow tomatoes by any means other than organic. There are no pests for them.

You can dry surplus, or can them - though canning jars are not available in Thailand - you'll have to improvise. I can surplus with garlic and semi-hot peppers added. One year I put surplus in baggies in a freezer, but then the electric pooped out - so the whole mess went bad.

In reply to the OP Romas are like growing any other tomato, the same procedure applies.

I think the nematode problem is over rated BB, I personally used the same patch for 20 years without problems and had Italian friends who did the same for generations.

Canning is a great idea and making and bottling pasta sauce is another. The Italians in my home city used to set up stands out side their homes and sell their surplus in capped beer bottles. I think the Health department ran them off in the end but it still tasted great and kept for months.

Once again to the OP, don't plant your seed directly into the ground, start them in small pots first then transplant them when they are about 80mms high. The survival rate for seedlings is higher.

Thanks for the replies:

I should clear something up first I guess. I have grown tomatoes and have had good luck most of the time. In the original post I should have said that I was looking for someone that has grown decent tomatoes here. The focus is on what variety was successful. I'm looking for good salad/samich varieties. :o

I have looked at the East-West site and they have a couple that are resistant to the fungus caused by high humidity and are bred for 'heat set' which I've found is a problem here with most 'western' breeds.

I'm located in the East (Chantaburi area) and its HOT and HUMID.

I am currently trying some F1 Hybrid from East-West Seed. We shall see, they are about 15 cm at the moment and just starting the sun hardening process.

I've tried a couple of other 'local' brands and the plants were great but no fruits, just blossom drop.

I'll take a look for the Chau Yong Sen seeds and give them a run also.

I'll try and keep you posted on success or failure.

Bt

Two quick hits:

Look at the East-West seed site, on the Philippine page they have yellow varieties, maybe they can help you out.

As for canning jars... YEA! after months of inquiry I finally found a couple of old dusty ones in a glass shop in Chantaburi. They thought they finally had a sale.... yep by the case. They ordered them from Bangkok. They are Mason Jars - made in China - the name on the cartons is KIG Group Glassware.

Find a shop that specializes in glassware and see if they know of the company.... only problem is they "say" you cannot order extra top seals..... that has to be a screw up.

Bt

tried local tomatoes, which looks similar to cherry tomatoes, just a bit longer. They grow well but does not taste very much.

No I try several different kind of tomatoes from Europe which are not hybrid, but to early to tell much.

My first ones didn't go for:

wrong land

too much sun

The first one which grow well were but in a dark, wet, fauling place by my wife (where I would have bet everything that it is not working) and it worked well.

It seems either they don't like too hot or too much sun (BKK), but I still don't understand it myself......

A friend of mine brought me five different varieties that were sold for southern Florida planting. I have tried every combination I could think of. I had them in pots, in beds of potting soil and in the ground and in pots full of regular ground soil. They all germinated well and the plants looked great. They blossomed and formed fruit. When the tomatoes were about marble size the plants just shriveled up and died. I didn't want to use chemicals but I even tried that. NO LUCK! :o

As I'm very fond of tomatoes I am constantly disappointed with the quality of

tomateos that are regurlarly available in Thai markets.

Now I know that the environmental conditions are really different from what

I'm used to. But surely there must be a tomato that can do well, not just

survive in this climate. I don't think Floridians or others living in the tropics

go without decent tomatoes.

Has any one had success in growing these vegetables in similar climates?

If you have would you mind shareing the methods and variety grown?

Bt

I would recommend this forum: http: //forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tomato/]http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tomato/

If you are interested in growing tomatoes in tropical weather, there are a number of individuals on this forum that can recommend many different varieties that would work for you. I am a member on gardenweb and have learned a great deal from the people on there.

Edited by sbk
no link drops to other forums allowed per forum rules

Hi,

I have been very succefull in growing toms at my place here in BKK.

Just bought the seeds from Tesco Lotus.

Made sure I had good soil (you can check my fred about toms in the vegs and plants forum).

In the end I had more then 300 toms harvested (7 plants).

Not the big ones, about thumb size but very tasty!

My balcony on the west so plenty of sun but no problem.

Give water twice a day (morning and evening).

I directly put the seeds outside and placed a few sticks so that when they were coming up

I bind them up with a small rope and up they went.

Any organic waste I had I just dumped in the pot.

Now growing chillies, capsicum, basilicum and cucumbers all doing well.

The basil leaves I use to make pesto.

Good luck!

Alex

Can anyone identify this bug...I have hundreds all over my tomatoes...And even more important..anyone have any ideas as to what I can use to get rid of them?

post-499-1174040016_thumb.jpg

I don't see any plant damage in the photo. Do you have any?

Sygenta make a couple of products available in Thailand and

recommended by Maize Farmer. They are the systemic type

so they work on the plant root system.

Check the last couple of posts on "Growing Makua" thread, he

defines one of them there. Need very very little to be effective.

Bt

Can anyone identify this bug...I have hundreds all over my tomatoes...And even more important..anyone have any ideas as to what I can use to get rid of them?

post-499-1174040016_thumb.jpg

I don't see any plant damage in the photo. Do you have any?

Sygenta make a couple of products available in Thailand and

recommended by Maize Farmer. They are the systemic type

so they work on the plant root system.

Check the last couple of posts on "Growing Makua" thread, he

defines one of them there. Need very very little to be effective.

Bt

Bt..

Thanks for the info...Will check it out

Stoneman

I was never keen on systemic poisons for edible plants. Sure in professional hands they're very effective but we're talking toxic chemicals here and withholding periods before the plants can be eaten.

The bugs look a bit like some sort of sap sucker to me, I'd try some sort of natural repellent, garlic boiled in water and diluted; I've even seen greenies throw a few chillies into the brew. I'd certainly consider pyrethrum before I brought up the heavy artillery.

I was never keen on systemic poisons for edible plants. Sure in professional hands they're very effective but we're talking toxic chemicals here and withholding periods before the plants can be eaten.

The bugs look a bit like some sort of sap sucker to me, I'd try some sort of natural repellent, garlic boiled in water and diluted; I've even seen greenies throw a few chillies into the brew. I'd certainly consider pyrethrum before I brought up the heavy artillery.

Systemics work well if directions are followed. Note I did not recommend any 'recipes' they can all be found on the Sygenta web site, including exclusion times for sale/eating....

When dealing with any chemical formulations I ALWAYS check what the mfgr's directions are.

Bt

I'm from Florida. I had a large garden there before moving to LOS. All organic. When I left, 13 years ago, I had the blackest sand in Florida and little if any problems with bugs, worms, etc in my garden. Skiters-plenty.

I grew my tomatoes in Florida by planting where the plants would get morning sun and evening sun. No mid-day sun. I think that works out to planting on the north side of the tree. I learned this trick when my cherry tomatos, growing in pots, grew like they were related to superman. I water morning and evening. When I only water once a day, I do it in the evening just before dark. I later tried this method, directly in the soil, in my main garden area on the north side of a large oak tree. Bingo! I grew St. Louis Blues, Burpee's Big Boy and Big Girl. Super harvest. All three types grew better than ever before. I gardened there for 12 years and about 8 years near St. Louis, Mo. St. Louis Blues are not good for shipping or keeping, however, great for fresh eating. Best taste ever.

This will be my first year to garden in Thailand so I am searching this forum for info.

I forgot. Someone mentioned peppers, chillies.

In Florida I grew the plants in the soil in a bright area of the garden, but, in in-direct sun. Never in direct sun. I grew very large green bell peppers. Red and yellow one too. For my chillies I planted them in direct sun. I plan to try them in in-direct sun here in Thailand. I will plant my first garden in Thailand this year, so, please give me all the advise you want - I need it. Thanks guys.

I forgot. Someone mentioned peppers, chillies.

In Florida I grew the plants in the soil in a bright area of the garden, but, in in-direct sun. Never in direct sun. I grew very large green bell peppers. Red and yellow one too. For my chillies I planted them in direct sun. I plan to try them in in-direct sun here in Thailand. I will plant my first garden in Thailand this year, so, please give me all the advise you want - I need it. Thanks guys.

Plant your garden now if you've got access to water... no sense waiting as there

really isn't a growing season for veggies here other than wet and dry.

IF you get good at Bell Peppers we'll all be listening to your advise. Can't get

them to grow worth a ######.

Like the Idea of north south for the tomatoes, I use 40% shade netting and will

let you know how it works. Of course i'm a little behind as I lost most of my

starter plants last week in a major T storm... starters don't do well in 8 inches of

water I'm afraid.

Bt

• 7 months later...
IF you get good at Bell Peppers we'll all be listening to your advise. Can't get

them to grow worth a ######.

Like the Idea of north south for the tomatoes, I use 40% shade netting and will

let you know how it works. Of course i'm a little behind as I lost most of my

starter plants last week in a major T storm... starters don't do well in 8 inches of

water I'm afraid.

Bt

I have tried growing toms from English seeds, my friend tried from American seeds - good plants but no edible fruit. I didn't use netting shade and guess this may be the solution, would be interested to hear how you get on.

We've successfully grown bell peppers (no real secret to it, seeds from local merchant, plants in shade) and all sorts of chillies tho and we have several rai of the common Isaan chillies being planted at the moment, on raised beds in direct sun with plenty of water.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried growing Tomatoes commercially? From what I can see from http://www.oae.go.th/statistic/yearbook/2003/indexe.html it is a very lucrative crop in Thailand, an average yield of 3,862 kilograms per rai and an average farm price of 10.06 baht per kilo, those were 2003 figures, that works out to a gross of just over 38,000 baht per rai. I have not seen any other crop that gets that kind of return. In my village on the South East corner of Kalasin province some people grow them as a second crop in the irrigated rice padies. I've asked my wife about growing them but she says they use too many chemicals and she doesn't want to use these on her land. Issangeorge. PS they are what I call Thai Tomatoes, more oblong shape than round.

Tomatoes were a popular commercial crop in A. Nam Yuen C. Ubon ca 2000 and did well in open field conditions, but verticillum wilt is rampant and the relevant fungicides somewhat costly. I believe most have discontinued. They're also growing them up on the Bolalvens in Laos but having to deal with nematodes. I've heard there's more of a tomato industry up near Chiang Mai but haven't seen it with mine own eyes.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ban Tomo, there is a Dutch guy in Pak Chong with 5-10Rai of greenhouses growing slicers, not the som tam type or the plum shape you usually see in markets every where. In CM, I think Maze Farmer talked about greenhouses there growing tomatoes, they also sell in country too. There sold with the "Take me Home" label.

I got some to try at The Mall, Korat. 2-pack was Bt.41.25, 0.434gr. Nice looking and the taste was good for the type of tomato it is. It was by no means a "cardboard tomato". www.datt.co.th 053-408-518.

As to field grown "Thai style" tomatoes, look in Thai Ag magazines, the show farms all the time.

I thought btate was trying to grow tomatoes and having problems as were others, you need good seed and a twinkle in your left eye. The pictures are from my 2nd try till now, and 2 shots of my friends efforts down by Cha-Am. rice555

post-37242-1205172915_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205173083_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205173265_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205173549_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205173888_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205174153_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205174395_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205174685_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205174848_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205175006_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205175267_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205176767_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1205177218_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned before I planted F1 Hybrid tomato's last year, with good results. I planted the same kind this year, and have a great crop again. Good for slicing, or cooking. Been enjoying fresh salsa, and tomato, onion, and peanut butter sandwich. Might sound strange but the flavors work together.

Been giving away a lot of them to people around here, they are not used to the larger sweet tasting tomato, and they seem happy with them. They often ask me how to use them.

If they caught on, it might be a good cash crop. I live in the Lampang area, and have had no trouble growing them. Have not used any chemicals of any kind, just good tilled composted soil. This year I had about forty plants, about chest level.

I live about 95kms NW of Korat town. I ordered seed from the US and started large and cherry toms in small pots last oct. Put them in the ground early december. Had great, tasty toms from both types until about 2 weeks ago when the day time temps started getting up there. They get full sun until around 4 in the afternoon which I assume is the problem. They are still blooming and producing small fruit but the plants appear to be burning up though I water generously. Do you guys that know more than me think too much sunlight is the problem?

I am considering building a frame around the area and mounting some of that green mesh looking stuff on it, sort of a po' boys greenhouse. I saw toms growing where it was 55 degrees in the middle of the dessert in Saudi Arabia in this arrangement with ventilation fans, which I don't think are required here.

On a side note, I read somewhere that hybrids won't produce second generation fruit. I don't know if this is true or not but I threw the toms the birds ruined away around the garden area and now I have a tomato lawn with lots of buds but no fruit.