Tomatoes

btate

I just noticed this thread : here are some ( today’s crop ) beefsteak tomatoes from my garden in Buriram province ( hot & humid and now raining every day )

Good flavor, a bit not happy because of the rain.

Enjoy

!

I just noticed this thread : here are some ( today’s crop ) beefsteak tomatoes from my garden in Buriram province ( hot & humid and now raining every day )

Good flavor, a bit not happy because of the rain.

Enjoy

!

Nice crop! Any idea where I could find seeds for the beefsteak?

As I'm very fond of tomatoes I am constantly disappointed with the quality of

tomateos that are regurlarly available in Thai markets.

Now I know that the environmental conditions are really different from what

I'm used to. But surely there must be a tomato that can do well, not just

survive in this climate. I don't think Floridians or others living in the tropics

go without decent tomatoes.

Has any one had success in growing these vegetables in similar climates?

If you have would you mind shareing the methods and variety grown?

Bt

Try hydroponics it's so simple and you can grow such beautiful tasting tomatoes. Plenty of demand at markeys and shops. I can help you with advice.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine brought me five different varieties that were sold for southern Florida planting. I have tried every combination I could think of. I had them in pots, in beds of potting soil and in the ground and in pots full of regular ground soil. They all germinated well and the plants looked great. They blossomed and formed fruit. When the tomatoes were about marble size the plants just shriveled up and died. I didn't want to use chemicals but I even tried that. NO LUCK! :o

:D

The Florida varieties (Floridade, mostly) are what I'm trying to grow now, and I've had problems with blossom drop for the past two years trying to grow from seed sold locally. I've even pollinated the plants with paintbrushes in the past.

I grow in containers, so I may try to bring the plants in at night. Any other suggestions welcomed as I really miss homegrown tomatoes.

Try hydroponics it's so simple and you can grow such beautiful tasting tomatoes. Plenty of demand at markeys and shops. I can help you with advice.

I would be interested to hear how hydroponics can help, because I thought the problem was with too much moisture/heat in the air, rather than soil problems.

A friend of mine brought me five different varieties that were sold for southern Florida planting. I have tried every combination I could think of. I had them in pots, in beds of potting soil and in the ground and in pots full of regular ground soil. They all germinated well and the plants looked great. They blossomed and formed fruit. When the tomatoes were about marble size the plants just shriveled up and died. I didn't want to use chemicals but I even tried that. NO LUCK! :o

:D

The Florida varieties (Floridade, mostly) are what I'm trying to grow now, and I've had problems with blossom drop for the past two years trying to grow from seed sold locally. I've even pollinated the plants with paintbrushes in the past.

I grow in containers, so I may try to bring the plants in at night. Any other suggestions welcomed as I really miss homegrown tomatoes.

Tomatoes are self -pollinating and in the absence of insects a good breeze will suffice.

Commercial growers in Oz use a vibrating wand dabbed on the plant ,it copies the action of the bumble bee.

You can use one of those hand held vibrator/massagers ,they can be bought in any market here for about 100 baht.

Try doing a search on the Chiang Mai Forum,

I seem to remember there was a discussion on tomatoes includeing hydroponics,

someone was growing succesfully for their resturant.

Maybe a couple of yrs back tho.

Aha, here it is, look down the end of the thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=tomatoes

Edited by Pond Life

Hello Smithson, a plastic covered net house is easy to build and would help in the wet season. Humidity is a bitch when flowers are trying to pollenate, let alone rain. Shade cloth?, never used it, just go up the page and look at the pictures. They would do better if the were away from the heat the driveway. I do cut small square's of shade cloth and cloths pin some fruit to stop 'sun scald', a trick a friend picked up from a lady in Los Vegas that grows BIG ONES in the summers their.

One store here in town sales 2 types of greenhouse covering, one is UV treated so last longer, but is opaque

and helps disfuse <sp> the sun rays which helps cut down on the suns intensity, my next project.

Dirt or hydro? Up 2 U, they both work, a little OT, but while looking for info on grafting tomatoes I ran across that in the GB, of store bought slicers/table tomatoes, "only 7% our OG". There is some studies done here in LOS on grafted tomatoes and they do better than the same verities not grafted. The LOS ones were in dirt outside.

Remember, there are some people that couldn't grow mold on a slice of bread any place to save their life.

The 'take me home' brand from CM has some 'on vine cluster cherries' that I got at The Mall Korat that are very good.

Try different seed, potting mix's, containers, media and see what works. Under a tree, shade cloth or what ever works. This is a different place than "Back home I grew bla bla bla", not all the things we like to eat grow well here, some do. I always wanted to move up north for the cooler weather, but have only lived in Korat. After reading the CM thread on tomatoes, I think some of the farmers XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX self edited XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX . <I:-0 They had some nice pictures!!

rice555

Try different seed, potting mix's, containers, media and see what works. Under a tree, shade cloth or what ever works. This is a different place than "Back home I grew bla bla bla", not all the things we like to eat grow well here, some do. I always wanted to move up north for the cooler weather, but have only lived in Korat.

rice555

All true rice, experimentation is the name of the game when using seed and varieties from back home,,10=15% is about my success rate here in northern Isaan.

• 8 months later...

As I'm very fond of tomatoes I am constantly disappointed with the quality of

tomateos that are regurlarly available in Thai markets.

Since many people have given their opinion & advice , I’ll be brief with some musts from my personal experience.

There is a tomato growing season, time you seedlings to emerge in December in order to take advantage of the cooler weather & longer growing season. When the rainy season arrives your plants will survive, but fruit will crack and be generally useless.

Pay lots of attention to your soil, it will most likely be very poor, add lots of organic whatever it’s needed.

Pests are localized; here I need to deal with the fruit fly and leaf miners. Do change growing patches every year.

A far as taste goes, the only real sweet & flavorfull tomato I can reliably grow are cherry tomatoes.

The better large heirloom breeds will not set fruit in this weather.

I buy my seeds here : http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ , if you search carefully you will find a multitude of seeds adapted to this climate. I have successfully grown most of them.

They taste better than your Thai market tomato , but they’re no “Brandywines”

Finally , netting for sun protection is a must for any of this to be succesfull !

Check out this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sweet-Juicy-...es-t244050.html

I just gave a away a bunch of “exotic’ seedlings !

Good luck !

• 7 months later...

Yes stoneman you have mealybugs on your tomato plants.

You could try a tablespoon of liquid Sunlight ( the type you wash your dishes ) in 20 liters of water and spray your plants wet, once every few days until they disappear. The diluted Sunlight will wash off the mealybugs from your plants. It is also good for aphids.

For those farmers who are growing papaya this treatment is very good ( meaning in getting rid of ) for red spider mites that stay on the underside of the leaves during the dry season. Be sure to spray the underside real wet. We tried five to six chemicals at the place I worked before, nothing worked.

• 2 months later...

Hello All, these are some of the x-mass pictures of my friend's latest tom's.

He lives a little N. of Chai Am and uses a bubbler system.

The seed is US, developed at UF(Uni of FL) and are 'heat set' Hyb.

TGS and other main stream seed dealers sell seed.

I'm transplanting my toms tomorrow, same old run to waste bag system.

My 2 verities I'm growing are from TGS, an OP black cherry that I've grown

for 8 years now and new this year, the 'free be' seed packet you get when

you spend over $25. on seed. The Belgium Giant, OP, also Ind. like the B-C.

rice555

post-37242-1261926774_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1261926870_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1261926908_thumb.jpg