What family car or SUV to get?

FarangFB

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

Again, it is the new model I don't like anymore, but it is the brand with the least problems in the world!

Must admit I don't like the look of it..Never driven the new model but to me the lack of glass would probably put me off....Fond memories of my Volvo, what a great all round motor, I know it isn't a looker but when inside it had everything for me......

volvo.jpg.c7d4fcb09a4354e274f2e807f68c70cd.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Volvo is a great car but not huge inside. There is a new pajero out late this year I think. I will wait till it arrives as not had one problem with the pajero I have now in 6 years . Just don't like look of wheel arches in the model just now. X1 bmw is also a pretty good car .

First, tell your wife if she is willing to contribute 50% of the cost, she can choose what she wants. Otherwise, it's your money, your choice. Second, look for a low mileage,

( 10 - 20K) second hand vehicle. You'll save 100 - 150K baht on new cost.

The Fortuners, Pajeros and Isuzus I've climbed into look big on the outside, and fit like sardine cans inside. I'm scraping my head on the roof lining at 180 cm.

Third, read motoring reviews from Australia and the USA. They are unanimous in giving Mazda the number one spot, or close to it.

1 hour ago, transam said:

My "late" Vigo had a Racechip which was great, it lasted about 3 years..You can get a Racechip for the 2.8 too....There is my old thread about the Racechip somewhere...

As I recall it upped the HP to 204 and the TQ to 400+....It did what they advertised....

I think you will find that the new Tuna isn't very good race chip wise they do tend to rev if you want lots of power. All you will gain is lots of rev's. They have fitted instead sports mode. If you use that you will find you have bundles of the stuff. No need for chip. My last tuna was race chipped I haven't bothered with this one. I only use the sports mode if I need to overtake a long line of cars. Just one push of button (handily placed) and your off.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I use Shell Premium Diesel and it makes a noticeable difference. It does cost about 3bht more per ltr which I find worth it, but many may not.

My fillups are predicated on which gas station has the easiest to read signage, the cleanest dunnies and a 7-eleven on site.

PTT rocks!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yup folks, just when you thought it was safe to pop down the road to Tesco-Lotus, you get (yet) another "Fredob and his lump" thread.

I do own a lump so can comment on same. You can always block my posts. Then again you wouldn't get yet another post under your name. I see that you have just managed to put another 4 on well done you.

Just now, fredob43 said:

I do own a lump so can comment on same. You can always block my posts. Then again you wouldn't get yet another post under your name. I see that you have just managed to put another 4 on well done you.

Yeah fredob and I am on a very, very slow satellite connection over here so sorry if it's still a tad too fast for you to keep up.

I would never block you or anyone for that matter. You do make some salient points and valid observations about 'tunas', especially the ones that you've owned.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yeah fredob and I am on a very, very slow satellite connection over here so sorry if it's still a tad too fast for you to keep up.

I would never block you or anyone for that matter. You do make some salient points and valid observations about 'tunas', especially the ones that you've owned.

Unlike a lot of peeps on TVF I only post about anything I know about. Sometime it's weeks between posts. Most of my post are near as dam it correct as I know them. Or if I'm incorrect I will own up to same. Unlike as said a lot of know it all's on TVF. My post today are for the OP as he asked questions about lumps. Something I do know about. Some I must admit are replies like this one. Just a pointless waste of every ones time.  

Just now, fredob43 said:

Unlike a lot of peeps on TVF I only post about anything I know about. Sometime it's weeks between posts. Most of my post are near as dam it correct as I know them. Or if I'm incorrect I will own up to same. Unlike as said a lot of know it all's on TVF. My post today are for the OP as he asked questions about lumps. Something I do know about. Some I must admit are replies like this one. Just a pointless waste of every ones time.  

That's what I said; you post from your very valid experience as a serial 'tuna' driver.

Now if we avoid saying that other people must be driving their 'tunas' wrong because their fuel consumption experience varies from yours and simply accept we probably all have different driving habits in the first place, then we can all live happily ever after.

My wife drives a CX5 2.2, I occasionally drive it and cant fault it for what it is, engine is a lot quicker than I expected, had it about four years now with no issues, Mazda service centre very good.

18 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I think you will find that the new Tuna isn't very good race chip wise they do tend to rev if you want lots of power. All you will gain is lots of rev's. They have fitted instead sports mode. If you use that you will find you have bundles of the stuff. No need for chip. My last tuna was race chipped I haven't bothered with this one. I only use the sports mode if I need to overtake a long line of cars. Just one push of button (handily placed) and your off.

What does sports mode do that that seems to make it 'jet'?

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

It puts the whole system in a lower set up, giving you more revs per the speed you are traveling at = more power when you put you foot down. Will also hold the lower gears longer before changing up. 

As I have said I only use it if I want to go passed a long line of traffic sharpish, Once I'm passed them I turn it back into Eco mode. Sports mode use's lots more fuel estimate around 25% more.

I can use the paddle shift to do the same thing, but that's just a lot of buggering about as you have to keep an eye on the rev counter. So it's a quick click on the S/Mode button. I don't know why they fit paddle shift. I have only used it once to see how it worked just another waste of time.

Someone in Jomtien is selling their 2017 Merc GLA 250 (AMG spec) for 1,610,000 baht.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/save-800-000-bhat-as-new-mercedese-gla-250-amg-359757

Its not a full on 4x4 and perhaps  bit small but for someone who may be undecided this could be a serious contender.

I thought about getting it myself as second car !

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Sport button often called the useless button switches the transmission into screaming mode and activates a clearly visible sport indicator lamp to enhance the placebo effect.

1 minute ago, Fruit Trader said:

Sport button often called the useless button switches the transmission into screaming mode and activates a clearly visible sport indicator lamp to enhance the placebo effect.

No it doesn't, so if you don't know don't bother to post. Or you might like to try the Tuna 2.8 and educate yourself.

6 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

No it doesn't, so if you don't know don't bother to post. Or you might like to try the Tuna 2.8 and educate yourself.

Couldn't resist it sorry, but you did set the scene with your race chipped Fortuna. Too funny.

26 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Couldn't resist it sorry, but you did set the scene with your race chipped Fortuna. Too funny.

My old tuna that was R/Chipped+++ work fine for the 6+ years it was fitted. Still going OK when I sold it. The new 2.8 is fast enough with the new speed cameras about. You cant use the power it has with those unless you like getting a ticket.

For all's information the new one has 3 set ups in the gearbox. If it's set in Eco mode 1 press of PWR button and it goes into S/Mode that I have tried to explain in post above.

Press once more and it will go into an in between mode, half way between Sports and Eco. Thus giving you a slightly faster set up all round. Using more fuel and quicker than Eco but not as much acceleration as the full Sports. 

So now your all educated.

Please no more stupid post from peeps that don't know what they are talking about. 

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My old tuna that was R/Chipped+++ work fine for the 6+ years it was fitted. Still going OK when I sold it. The new 2.8 is fast enough with the new speed cameras about. You cant use the power it has with those unless you like getting a ticket.

For all's information the new one has 3 set ups in the gearbox. If it's set in Eco mode 1 press of PWR button and it goes into S/Mode that I have tried to explain in post above.

Press once more and it will go into an in between mode, half way between Sports and Eco. Thus giving you a slightly faster set up all round. Using more fuel and quicker than Eco but not as much acceleration as the full Sports. 

So now your all educated.

Please no more stupid post from peeps that don't know what they are talking about. 

Why am I not surprised that your confused TA. You seem to be confused about anything now days. You were one of the know it all's that I was posting to try and educate.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Why am I not surprised that your confused TA. You seem to be confused about anything now days. You were one of the know it all's that I was posting to try and educate.

I am confused about the stuff you write...It is pointless me replying because you always come back with unpleasant stuff...BUT, you carry on with "your" educating ..:whistling:

3 hours ago, Jitar said:

Apparently turns a light on and sharpens the throttle so that it "seems" to have more power.

https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewtopic.php?t=42183

Yes ... on his suv, basically would make the kick down work earlier and holds the revs longer ...it might also drop a gear as soon as you select it.  On upmarket cars it can also change the suspension setting and reaction of steering wheel making for a more dynamic feeling.

On MrsJs Civic RS (CVT) the paddles are quite useful for overtaking ... action is similar to changing down.

Ah forgot ... as said might also turn on a small light somewhere ............... 

3 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

In newer models, it also lights up the LED-illuminated 'TRD' badge on the back door.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In newer models, it also lights up the LED-illuminated 'TRD' badge on the back door.

It also projects TRD onto the ground ( like the batman call sign ) when the boot is open.

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

trans has forgotten more than you'll ever know about motors

Archived