What family car or SUV to get?

FarangFB

I currently own a Toyota Avanza and I'm very happy with this car, never had any problems. However, it's an entry level and very slow vehicle. Later this year I'll finish paying it and I plan to move to something superior while it still retains some decent resale value.

My price range is between 1.4 to 2.3M, and I really wish I could get something that is not horribly slow (aka anything with over 11 seconds 0-100). I am a bit concerned about customer care and resale value.

Wife really wants a 7-seater but it's quite rare that we need to use the 3rd row, and when we do it's usually short trips with kids that could go on the back with no seat anyway.

For now I'm considering:

- Toyota Fortuner - wife wants this one, apparently has good resale value, it's very common (I assume easy for parts if needed) and on the cheaper end of my budget. However, I really wish they offered something more powerful, the top version has just 177hp which is ridiculous for a car this big.

- Toyota Innova - I'm ok with everything about this one except the fact that it's diesel. They have a petrol but it's a manual, which is a dealbreaker for me (wife can't drive manual). This is the top choice for taxi drivers indicating they're quite reliable.

- Mazda CX-5 - affordable, faster than the Toyotas, wife will complain (5 seater). I'm concerned about reliability and resale value.

- Ford Everest - Looks good, the top version has over 200hp, 7 seater but the wife says this brand is bad in Thailand. She often speaks about what she doesn't know, would be nice to get some owner opinions here.

- Volvo XC40 T5 - For me this is almost perfect on paper (beautiful, powerful, petrol, loaded with features) but it's pushing my budget limits, the wife doesn't want it (5 seater) and there is no dealership in Pattaya, I'd have to go to Bkk for anything. I don't know anyone that has this car so I'm not sure how reliable they are in Thailand.

I appreciate any guidance here.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, transam said:

Perhaps you and yours are big.....????

I'm not big 79kg neither is the rest of my mob 2. Have you been in one? well I have and I can tell you it's small for a family car. Try as I have done getting 5 big peeps in it with a pile of luggage. See how you get on then.

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I'm not big 79kg neither is the rest of my mob 2. Have you been in one? well I have and I can tell you it's small for a family car. Try as I have done getting 5 big peeps in it with a pile of luggage. See how you get on then.

I have been a passenger behind the driver in a leather clad Fortuner and I wasn't impressed....It is not big, in fact was a bit disappointing as I like Toyota stuff.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I have been a passenger behind the driver in a leather clad Fortuner and I wasn't impressed....It is not big, in fact was a bit disappointing as I like Toyota stuff.

So you think a tuna isn't big. Well you ain't going to get much bigger family lump wise in the LOS. And you suggested getting a CRV. One of us is loosing the plot and it isn't me.

22 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

So you think a tuna isn't big. Well you ain't going to get much bigger family lump wise in the LOS. And you suggested getting a CRV. One of us is loosing the plot and it isn't me.

Go sit in the back of your ride and take a trip to the pub with Mrs.Fred driving......

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Certified tests highway 12.9km,

Well if you want to pop to my place. Not far from you. I will take you in my lump and you will see for yourself how it does fuel wise.

Lets have a wager, I will pay for fuel and if I'm wrong I will give you 5th bt on top. If on the other hand I'm correct you will pay up the same. 

I didn't believe what it was doing fuel wise so tested it several times. LT = KM and it always worked out give or take the same as the comp: said in the lump. That always says 6.1lt = 100km or 16.39km for 1LT on a run. It will of cause do a bit less around town. That's in eco mode, sports mode a lot less.

You might like to ask Kelvin he has been in the lump when I had 4 peeps up with luggage and fishing gear on a 1.400km trip including a lot around BKK it still returned near as much the same. 

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Yes really. I don't bull Sh/t. That's in a 2.8lt tuna eco mode, the 2.4lt will do a lot less. Due to it's lower gear ratio.

I don't know why your confused TA. I thought you was clued up on all things Lump wise.

Well for your information at 140KPH the 2.8lt will be doing 2.1th rpm the 2.4 will de doing 2.5th rpm. Go check it out.

I'd suggest the larger vehicles youre looking at are too big and a pain to park, turn round etc etc.

They're made for the US aren't they where they have broader roads.

Also the Fortuner looks much the same as many moons ago.......when will they change the name/style?

If you like the Avanza I'd suggest a Toyota Sienta with the extras. The missus just got one without even telling me but it's quite sophisticated, 7 seats if required or tons of luggage and motorised sliding rear doors.

She paid 840k so you'll be able to also buy some other treat much nicer than a mere car.

10 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I didn't believe what it was doing fuel wise so tested it several times. LT = KM and it always worked out give or take the same as the comp: said in the lump. That always says 6.1lt = 100km or 16.39km for 1LT on a run.

It's not not believing I just think your mistaken having asked two 2018 Tuna 2.8 owners.

It's very difficult to get an accurate test yourself.

If I was to believe the computer in our Isuzu 1.9 diesel it was averaging 19.6 to the litre it never shows less than 11.4 ltr.

Several tank to tank fill test with same amount of fuel,  " which is another story because of price changes and accurate fuel delivery."   My calculation, averaging best I could at the 90 kph, which allegedly gives the best fuel performance was just over 14 km to litre.

25 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

If you like the Avanza I'd suggest a Toyota Sienta with the extras. The missus just got one without even telling me but it's quite sophisticated, 7 seats if required or tons of luggage and motorised sliding rear doors.

She paid 840k so you'll be able to also buy some other treat much nicer than a mere car.

OP wants more power maybe SUV Porsche Cayenne.

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's not not believing I just think your mistaken having asked two 2018 Tuna 2.8 owners.

It's very difficult to get an accurate test yourself.

If I was to believe the computer in our Isuzu 1.9 diesel it was averaging 19.6 to the litre it never shows less than 11.4 ltr.

Several tank to tank fill test with same amount of fuel,  " which is another story because of price changes and accurate fuel delivery."   My calculation, averaging best I could at the 90 kph, which allegedly gives the best fuel performance was just over 14 km to litre.

The 2.8 Tuna with it's 6 speed auto box will only just go into top at 90kph. If any slower it will drop into 5th. Using more fuel I have found that traveling at 104kph the engine rev's at 1.5th rpm and gives me the best economy. But doesn't seem to alter using C/C at 110kph. Killing two stones with one bird??? Good fuel wise and I don't get a ticket. 

I didn't believe the comp: in my Lump either, that's why I tested it several times tank to tank. And it came out as near as dam it within  0.1 of a LT correct. So now tend to believe it.

Just done a trip into town side road, came back on the AR 1/32 it was packed with lumps returning to BKK. Whole trip at around 50kph the comp: registered 7.1 LT =100km. I'm happy with that, even if it's a bit out.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

The 2.8 Tuna with it's 6 speed auto box will only just go into top at 90kph. If any slower it will drop into 5th. Using more fuel I have found that traveling at 104kph the engine rev's at 1.5th rpm and gives me the best economy.

No doubt the OP will get a SUV Tuna  ????  I don't have problem with them apart from them being common but not surprised, a good package for the money.

Our manual 1.9 truck is 6th gear at ninety is 1500 rpm. 

It comes on the dash when to change for economy use.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No doubt the OP will get a SUV Tuna  ????  I don't have problem with them apart from them being common but not surprised, a good package for the money.

Our manual 1.9 truck is 6th gear at ninety is 1500 rpm. 

It comes on the dash when to change for economy use.

Keep a tissue handy in economy....????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Keep a tissue handy in economy....????

Yeah well fuel economy depends on the right foot and also on road tax & insurance, 1 st class insurance, servicing costs at main dealers every 25000 kms they will find something wrong or make it up, changing brake fluid & auto fluid, air-con filters, engine air filters, also tyres whow 2 years old, time for change. 

Isuzu have gone the same way a total comedy act. 

13 hours ago, transam said:

I agree with your Mrs....????

But don't forget the Honda CRV....I would like one...????

Thank you, CRV added to the list I'll check it out.

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I have a Tuna 2.8 and it's certainly isn't slow will fly if you use the non eco mode. Big, I have had 5 big peeps in mine with all their luggage could have had more, great on fuel 16km = 1 LT good resale. Go have a test drive.

I'll give it a try, I'm judging it's slow because of the power and weight and also some online review tests.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Have you considered a new Pajero ...

New Pajero? Is that coming out anytime soon?

9 hours ago, gwynt said:

Kia sorento 2.2 diesel 0-100 8.2 sec 5+2 seats comfortable lots of bells and whistles plus 5year warranty. Had mine 4 years brilliant car.

Sorento is not listed on the Kia Thailand website, discontinued here maybe?

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

When buying this Avanza I could have taken a Sienta, but I chose the Avanza because:
- same engine size, very similar power
- rear traction, much smaller radius of turn (like 4.7m against 5.7m of the Sienta)
- lighter, the automatic rear doors on the Sienta weight a lot, Toyota removed the car weight from the brochure

- A bit cheaper

- about the same internal space, if not more

The only advantages I could find for the Sienta is that it looks prettier and has a few extras like leather seats. I would not consider the Sienta an upgrade. 

But thank you all for the replies.

Have you got a 2.8 tuna??? If you do you would know I'm not telling porkies. As I have said I'm willing to prove it. Maybe like many others you don't know how to drive.

Yes, with 60,000km on it.

Never seen anywhere near the numbers you claim.

How else would I be able to comment on the subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived