Sea-home pioneer’s visa cancelled

snoop1130

Removing that "structure" isn't going to be cheap or easy, I would guess that it is "driven" into the seabed, when it is removed it should be cut five feet below the sea bed to prevent nets getting hung up. Wonder who will pay? :wink:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

The ‘seated’ is located to the south east of Koh Racha Yai, approx. 12 nautical miles off the mainland.

I built a fishing dock on the Nan River years ago and it took a good month to complete. It was  something new in the area and every Somchai and Lek from miles around showed up to take a peek. Now, I am thinking that this seated took at least a couple of days to build and someone surely would have seen it before now. But, I guess not...

welding machine.jpg

Edited by missoura
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

"Elwartowski posted on Facebook yesterday that they are in hiding and safe."

Unfortunately, you can run but you cannot hide.  Running seems to be useless today as well.  Good luck to this gentleman, he needs it.

Why?? Leaving Thailand is NOT the end of the world despite the views of most TV posters - there is life after "the Kingdom" actually in my experience - a much better one!!

2 hours ago, AntipodeanThai said:

Its simple really.

If you want to live in Thailand obey their rules, as frustrating as they may be at times.

It's their country their heritage, their culture, their way of life not a Johnny come lately foreigners, we must think it beautiful otherwise we wouldn't be here; if not go!

Simple really!

Are there any snowflakes who object to US having the same views or is sovereignty just reserved for foreigners? So by the same standards we can pull down mosques if we dont like them??Double standards really!! You either give human rights to everyone or no-one!!

Edited by bizboi

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

BS. Plenty of tourists go on deep sea fishing tours into international waters and come back without reentry permits

They did not left the country.

As long you stay on the boat (even diving) , you are considered still inside the country.

The boat "Carries the Thai flag".

Once you harbour another country, and step a foot on that land, you left.

If you enter that country legal, got trough customs, you will get a stamp.

If you just sit on the dock, enjoying the beer and sun uppon returning to the boat,

you are illegal in that country.

Then when back in Thailand, nothing is wrong. As you never left.

But if you entered the other country legally, you would be questionized by

immigration when you try to leave Thailand.

• Like 2

So what Thailand has said is that the 12 nautical mile boundary between their sovereign state and international waters is actually not a boundary at all and that in fact the country owns any international waters it chooses to claim beyond that limit, i.e., might makes right.

Seasteading isn't going to disappear.  This is the bleeding edge.  Thailand has set a legal precedence.  If it stands, countries like China will milk it for all it's worth.  Again, on the open seas in international waters, might makes right.

Seasteading will be an interesting phenomenon to watch in the future.  You can already tell those who are statists as they will be the one providing plenty of ad hominem to the narrative.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Katipo said:

If only Prayuth had his fleet of submarines. They could have blown this insideous threat to the country's sovereignty out of the water before it even got started. You can't treat these kind of things lightly, or before you know it, every Tom, Dick, and Somchai will start building there own territories in the middle of the ocean somewhere. 

the Chinese are already doing it????

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It seems that people will rush to the defense of every loonie and crackpot who comes up against Thai law.  Try building a structure 12 miles off the coast of your own country, yet alone a foreign one, declare it an independent state, and see what happens.  

i will and i will call it Freedonia

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bizboi said:

Why?? Leaving Thailand is NOT the end of the world despite the views of most TV posters - there is life after "the Kingdom" actually in my experience - a much better one!!

Interpol red list comes to mind, aside from the fact that he might never see his wife again.

No leaving Thailand is not the end of the world (if he indeed did get out), but his method of leaving was not one that I would have chosen (to each his own I guess).

Excellent comments!!  Insightful, aware, academically brilliant, and funny....yet everyone still pays and some struggle or fight to stay, and puts up with a lot crap.  We really LOVE this place no matter the cost/consequence.   

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It seems that people will rush to the defense of every loonie and crackpot who comes up against Thai law.  Try building a structure 12 miles off the coast of your own country, yet alone a foreign one, declare it an independent state, and see what happens.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

an increase in tourism...... prince Lenard of Hutt actually declared war on Australia, which lasted a few days, before he called for a cessation of hostilities.

anyway, old prince Lenard abdicated a couple of years back, in favor of his son, prince Graeme.... the current ruler of Hutt.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, connda said:

So what Thailand has said is that the 12 nautical mile boundary between their sovereign state and international waters is actually not a boundary at all and that in fact the country owns any international waters it chooses to claim beyond that limit, i.e., might makes right.

It gets complex and I certainly don't understand the intricacies, oil & gas rights extend 200 miles with generally five mile exclusion zones around platforms, wonder how that fits in?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

The folks behind this trial effort are planning more of these???

The April 15th sale of seasteads is to be postponed until we can get everything straightened out and figure out the best path forward for everyone.

29 minutes ago, farcanell said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

an increase in tourism...... prince Lenard of Hutt actually declared war on Australia, which lasted a few days, before he called for a cessation of hostilities.

anyway, old prince Lenard abdicated a couple of years back, in favor of his son, prince Graeme.... the current ruler of Hutt.

Isn't it funny that the Pincipality of Hutt exactly looks like a horizontal flipped Texas? A very deep imprint in the earth maybe.

• Haha 1

Even with Big Joke removed from power (castrated), immigrations grip has NOT weakeend.  If Thailand wants foreigners OUT, they will execute this objective mercilessly.  Cannot run or hide - anywhere!  Not even in a water world.  At the least, you will be stripped of all immigration visas and Blacklisted, at worst you will be incarcerated.  Welcome to LOS.

Edited by mike787

I read news article and watched video, but never heard how far off the coast the Seastead was. I know some countries reserve fishing and rights to other resources 300 km out. Article mentioned Thai fishing boats were able to fish near the seastead (assume to avoid fouling their nets). To me, If Exxon could build an oil platform there without Thai permission, Seasteading would be ok. But I doubt if Exxon could do that. But Nadia summergurl sounds like a hoot. And how can this guy look like he has never been in the sun? On a hut in Indian Ocean? Wonder how they get power and fresh water?

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Google "pirate radio" and see what happens when you try something like this in a country run under the rule of law. 

Better yet, watch the movie, "Pirate Radio"

Hint:  The government didn't like it a bit, but they adhered to international law.  Nobody was threatened with life in prison, much less the death penalty.

What on earth has Radio Caroline that floated around in boats got to do with some wannabe seasquatters?