Small sandwich shop

geroreilly, did you finally open your sandwich shop?

No - I havent set up the sambo shop yet.  When I started looking at setting it up I really didnt think there would be so much involved.  I have never done anything like this before (always worked in Finance for large institutions) but never realised it would be so much work!! :o

I am still confident that my idea will work in Thailand but now its about sourcing the right produce at the right costs.  Location is a big issue and rent on Sukh aint cheap - plus there arent many good locations available on Sukh.

I will keep my research going and when I have a location selected I will post back for comments and suggestions.

my vote for my favourite sandwich in bangkok is the club sandwich from woodstock in nana plaza, I enjoy getting a fix of wholemeal bread.. most of the bread I have tasted in thailand seems to have sugar added and is white..

If you get your sandwich shop up and running  goreilly, post the address..

and most bread is not a very healthy thing for the body...if you want to make glue for your kids...you mix flour and water :o

Bread is "a good for you" food. This is a fact that not everyone realizes. Some people even believe that avoiding bread and other starches will help you lose weight, which is not true. Those of you who are familiar with the Food Guide Pyramid know that at the bottom of the pyramid is the Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta Group. It tells us that we should eat 6-11 servings from this group each day, and these servings should, according to the USDA, constitute more than half of our total dietary intake. If you love bread, as most of us do, you're in luck because it fits very well into a healthy diet. No matter what the type, white, wheat, rye or multi-grain, all breads give you a nice dose of complex carbohydrates, which most people need to eat more of.

But not all breads are created equal. Some have more fiber, vitamins and minerals than others. White bread is made from white flour which is whole wheat flour that has been stripped of most of its nutrients. This happens when the outer coat (the bran and the germ) of the grain is removed. Thus, white bread is a source of carbohydrate, but it is not the rich source of B-complex vitamins, vitamin E and other nutrients found in the dark-colored outer coat of the whole grain.

The reason food manufacturers remove the outer coat of the grain is because it increases the shelf life of products made from such denatured flour. The outer coat contains an oil that easily spoils when exposed to heat and light, so by removing it, manufacturers have a product that will last longer. This results in financial profits for the manufacturer but nutritional losses for the consumer.  Subways around the world, have bread that is baked fresh everyday at over 20,000 restaurants, so they don't have to worry about shelf life of three or four days.  If the bread happens to not be used in 12 hours, its thrown out. At our location, we bake our bread fresh almost every hour of the day... in fact 21 times everyday! Only from 4 a.m to 6 a.m. is our oven not pumping out bread for those hours.

By the way, people have the option to make their sub a salad. However yesterday, just 7 of them had a salad, out of 416 people! Most enjoy the bread lots! :-)

Bread is "a good for you" food. This is a fact that not everyone realizes. Some people even believe that avoiding bread and other starches will help you lose weight, which is not true. Those of you who are familiar with the Food Guide Pyramid know that at the bottom of the pyramid is the Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta Group. It tells us that we should eat 6-11 servings from this group each day, and these servings should, according to the USDA, constitute more than half of our total dietary intake. If you love bread, as most of us do, you're in luck because it fits very well into a healthy diet. No matter what the type, white, wheat, rye or multi-grain, all breads give you a nice dose of complex carbohydrates, which most people need to eat more of.

But not all breads are created equal. Some have more fiber, vitamins and minerals than others. White bread is made from white flour which is whole wheat flour that has been stripped of most of its nutrients. This happens when the outer coat (the bran and the germ) of the grain is removed. Thus, white bread is a source of carbohydrate, but it is not the rich source of B-complex vitamins, vitamin E and other nutrients found in the dark-colored outer coat of the whole grain.

No offense Greg, you seem like a nice guy. But you are also a nice guy running a business selling a particular product.

Your statement that 'Bread is a good for you food,' is a statement with serious, serious caveats. To blankly use your statement is misleading.

I know these things for several reasons, one being diabetes. Fat is closely related to insulin which the body creates froom sugar to prevent high-blood sugar levels. Diabetics have a problem with this.  The ease with which some foods turn into sugar is a significant issue relating to the 'value' of a particular food.

Highly processed grains (i.e.; bread) can be converted to sugar very quickly, and then unless quickly utilized by the body, they are converted to insulin. Insulin then converts to fat.

Then, there is a factor called Glycemic Load. How much fiber vs. caloric content a particular food contains. Less processed foods, though perhaps high in sugars, are also high in fiber, hence the G.L. they carry is lower. Highly processed foods tend to have higher G.L. value, hence they are more efficient sugar delivery mechanisms. Some fruits also fall into this category, such as bananas.

Bread in and of itself can be very healthy, provided it is made from less processed grains. How highly processed are the grains being made into bread by Subway?

There was an excellent interview on Larry King recently with Della Reese, Wilford Brimley, Dr. Andrew Weil and others regarding diabetes, sugar, insulin and the foods which are closely related to success or failure in controlling this disease. I have pasted and except and link below.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0310/13/lkl.00.html

G: Anything you have cut out you miss?

BRIMLEY: Yeah. Bread is my -- it's a killer. You know, my mother made bread. I lived on it.

KING: Oh, really?

BRIMLEY: Sure. And bread pudding. And bread and milk. And...

KING: Bread. You were a bread man.

BRIMLEY: I like bread.

KING: And bread turns to sugar, right, doctor?

WEIL: Yes. And the kinds that turn to sugar the fastest are the fluffy kinds, whether they're brown or white. On the other hand, are really dense, chewy piece of bread, a European peasant bread that's got some cracked grains in it, moderate amounts of that may be OK.

KING: How about when I see like six-grain bread. Is that healthy? Or seven-grain. Is seven-grain healthier? Twelve-grain, is that healthier than seven-grain?

WEIL: It really depends on what's been done with those grains. If they've been powdered into starch, no. If there are pieces of the grain in the bread that you can see and you really have to do some work to chew, then OK.

So, calling bread a GOOD FOOD as a blanket statement is misleading. I've eaten at your restaurant several times and will do so again. But I know the bread is highly processed when I eat it, even if I do enjoy the taste.

Blanket statements like you made are going to open you up to review. Be a bit more 'rounded' in your circumspect in your 'selling' and it'll probably save you some grief. That or provide the facts about food preparation and perhaps it will bolster your point, a cool idea as well.

Thank you. Point well taken. My response was to "and most bread is not a very healthy thing for the body...if you want to make glue for your kids...you mix flour and water "

That was my retort to that blanket statement. However I did later in the same statement share this..  

I even went futher explaining the difference in bread in the third paragraph.  

Oh for further rebuttals. I have 275,000 articles to choose from when putting in " Bread healthy heart "

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/thriftyliving...althyheart.html

Research has shown that meals high in fiber and low in fat may help reduce our risk of heart disease. Choosing food carefully can help reduce your risk of heart disease.

Fruits and vegetables are healthy choices. Fruits and vegetables are naturally high in fiber and low in fat. The Food Guide Pyramid tells us to eat 2 to 4 servings of fruit and 3 to 5 servings of vegetables each day. This is a good place to start. Plan to eat at least two servings of fruits and/or vegetables at each meal.

Whole grain breads and cereals are also good choice. Whole wheat bread, brown rice and oatmeal are some examples of whole grain foods that are high in fiber and low in fat. The Food Guide Pyramid recommends 6 to 11 servings from the bread, cereal, rice and pasta group each day. Try to be sure that at least three servings from this group are whole grains.

From the U.S Food and Drug Administration

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/lowlit/hlyheart.pdf

Eat plenty of bread, rice, and cereal. Also eat lots of vegetables and fruits.
Subway has that...lots of bread and vegetables

http://gograins.grdc.com.au/for_consumers/healthy_heart.htm

Bread and breakfast cereals may not be foods that come immediately to mind when we talk about eating for a healthy heart, but recent research studies show that eating whole grain cereal products is a sure way to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

As for going further discussions about Subway. I'm not a franchisee. My wife is. I'm only a shareholder and have no right to speak for Subway. My comments is my own personal views on healthy bread except for what you found on the links above.

Just sharing my personal views here. I'm not a nutritionist but feel I can retort that bread is unhealthy because its like glue.

Thank you again for your post.

I am glad to have triggered an interesting read and also some good links about bread...

but I still believe that most bread consumed is of the soft white variety ( and has the crust removed) made from highly processed flours and is not in the least helpful to the digestive process..

I am a fan of wholegrain bread, I love a good meat and salad sandwich/roll.

The food pyramid is an outdated food model.  Bread is not a bad food, but excess carb intake does lead to weight gain.  A balanced diet of protein, fruits, and veggies, split up in 4-6 smaller meals is a healthier food intake option.  To lose weight, one has to get their caloric intake, coupled with a proper fitness program, below the person's BMR (bas. metabolic rate).  

Would I include Subway in a fitness plan?  Well...none of the protein sources are completely natural or unprocessed from what I could see, so no.  Maybe, just maybe, the veggie only salad, no dressing, would be the only acceptable food there.  I would not recommend the sandwiches as a weight loss food no matter what obese person you used as a testimonial.  The tuna has mayo in it, low cal or not, still mayo.  The chicken is some processed sausage garb.  Any red meat I always recommend to avoid so it doesn't matter what it is you have for that.

But, Subway is not as bad as a Big Mac or french fries, so it is a good alternative to junk food, but certainly not a health food.  I guess it's most accurate to say it is somewhere in the middle.  Good for a "cheat day" once or twice a month at best.  

Oh, I do like Subway and have been to the Suk. and Silom ones.  But to tout it as health food is a stretch.  

So, Sunbelt, you have to tell us how the mystery chicken is made???  I had one recently and it was cut from some sausage like shape.  It is NOT sliced chicken breast, it is a processed sausage whatever.

You can find out from the website...

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNutrition/index.aspx

As for bread, wish people would of taken your advice tonight. Subway Nana sold 245 subs in 90 minutes at the international school. We were suppose to be at the Halloween party for four hours and sold out in 90 minutes. People stood in line waiting 20-30  minutes to get a sandwich even though the sandwich artists were making a fresh sandwich every 25 seconds. Nope no one requested a salad. :-)  

Tuna is one of the most fattening sandwiches... 450 calories That’s not a good choice to lose weight. Turkey Breast, Club or the Veggie Delight would be good choices from looking at the Subway website which have 230- 320 calories.