Quiche

Shortcrust pastry

8oz/225g plain flour

pinch of salt

4oz/100g cubed butter

cold water to mix

1. Rub the cubed fat in to the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs (with butter, you can make this a lot easier by chilling it thoroughly and then grating it into the flour).

2. Bring the mixture together, using a little cold water if necessary - but don't add too much - until it forms a stiff dough

3. The pastry can now be kept in the fridge until needed. If you're using it straight away you should still chill it for a while.

Basic Quiche Mix

3 eggs

225ml / half a pint of milk

2oz grated cheese such as Cheddar

Salt & Pepper to taste.

This is the core mix to any quiche and guaranteed to set with a light texture.

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

1. To make the pastry case, blind bake the pastry in your chosen dish for 10/15 minutes.

2. Beat together the eggs and the milk, add the grated cheese. Season the mixture with salt and plenty of pepper.

3. Pour into partially baked pastry case.

4. Cook in the oven for ~30 minutes until set and browned on top.

Extra fillings

Add any of these to the mixture before pouring into the pastry case, just a few ideas.

· Bacon, and sautéed onions

· Asparagus & Prawns

· Flaked salmon (tinned is OK) & Broccoli (blanched)

· Roasted bell peppers and mushrooms

· Sliced tomatoes to decorate

Basically add any combination you like, but make sure the added ingredients are not too wet. Again depending on ingredients serve hot or cold.

post-11711-1173139796.jpg

I used to make a lot of quiche at one time, as CF says you can put nearly anything in them and sliced sausage on the top is great as well.

You could always put a pastry top on as well and turn it it into an old fashioned bacon and egg pie. When I was a kid that was the only way my Mum could get me to eat eggs.

I used to make a lot of quiche at one time, as CF says you can put nearly anything in them and sliced sausage on the top is great as well.

You could always put a pastry top on as well and turn it it into an old fashioned bacon and egg pie. When I was a kid that was the only way my Mum could get me to eat eggs.

hey...right on, my mom always tried to trick me inta eatin' eggs when I was a kid...couldn't stand them...then I found myself inna sawmill camp at the end ob a dirt road in the British Columbia wilderness an' eggs were the only protein that you could find at breakfast to sustain the day's hard labor ahead...3 scrambled wid toast an' potatoes an' lots ob Tabasco...

still can't stomach fried or poached eggs 'cause dey still look like chicken embryos :o ...hard boiled is OK fer egg mayonnaise: boil 'em, peel 'em, slice 'em an' into de mixin' bowl wid plenty ob mayo, fresh ground pepper and sum mustard real quick...mix up den spread on toast, ye wouldn't know that they useta be chicken embryos...a suitable alternative to the local thai 'cuisine' :D

balut.bmp

hey...right on, my mom always tried to trick me inta eatin' eggs when I was a kid...couldn't stand them...then I found myself inna sawmill camp at the end ob a dirt road in the British Columbia wilderness an' eggs were the only protein that you could find at breakfast to sustain the day's hard labor ahead...3 scrambled wid toast an' potatoes an' lots ob Tabasco...

still can't stomach fried or poached eggs 'cause dey still look like chicken embryos :o ...hard boiled is OK fer egg mayonnaise: boil 'em, peel 'em, slice 'em an' into de mixin' bowl wid plenty ob mayo, fresh ground pepper and sum mustard real quick...mix up den spread on toast, ye wouldn't know that they useta be chicken embryos...a suitable alternative to the local thai 'cuisine' :D

Guess you dont eat BALUT then.

Balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies in Asia and especially the Philippines, China, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served accompanied with consumption of beer. ENJOY

post-11711-1173195611_thumb.jpg

hey...chop dat liddle mother up wid some mayo an' we're cookin'...'on toast or Ry-Vita, sir?' :o

a regional specialty in BALUTchistan?...where is John BALUTchi when we need his opinion an' guidance?...'no BALUT, only cheeseburger...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior