Thai fisherman returns iPhone found floating in the ocean to American tourist

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness to the other guy who was charged and jailed for 10 days, he too moved it to a different location, which is considered theft under Thai law, so he should be charged with theft, despite the happy ending. 

18 hours ago, NightSky said:

You seem to have musunderdtood the meaning of kindness and honesty. 

Its not about who has to work how long and for what, it’s about doing what is right by your fellow man.

if I found the keys to a Harley Davidson motorcycle or a gold bullion bar worth much more than the iPhone I would still return it to its owner and not expect a reward. 

Its not about rewards its about doing what is right.

You compare yourself to a poor southern Thai fisherman? And believe that situations are compare able - you are - unreasonable - therefore - over for me here

"'Never argue with unreasonable people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

2 hours ago, kylep said:

In fairness to the other guy who was charged and jailed for 10 days, he too moved it to a different location, which is considered theft under Thai law, so he should be charged with theft, despite the happy ending. 

"'Never argue with unreasonable people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

1 hour ago, ALFREDO said:

You compare yourself to a poor southern Thai fisherman? And believe that situations are compare able - you are - unreasonable - therefore - over for me here

I’m not comparing myself to anyone.

Besides you make assumptions that you know me very well, when in fact you know nothing about me at all.  

Also you completely misunderstand what is being said.

In addition, referring to your quote I’m not arguing, I’m simply responding and defending myself from your troll attacks. 

8 minutes ago, manhood said:

All faked news i think, launched from thao authorities...why this thai guy not get prisoned taking away a phone?????

Maybe because (after he "found" it), he returned it BEFORE HE GOT CAUGHT!

You seem to have musunderdtood the meaning of kindness and honesty. 

Its not about who has to work how long and for what, it’s about doing what is right by your fellow man.

if I found the keys to a Harley Davidson motorcycle or a gold bullion bar worth much more than the iPhone I would still return it to its owner and not expect a reward. 

Its not about rewards its about doing what is right.

That is easy to say when you have money in the bank ... and not living hand to mouth like a fisherman does ... Doing the right thing .. does not always put food on the table ... I would gladly hand over a few K if I had my mobile returned to me by someone with less money than me .... if the reward was rejected I would not feel that was right ... act of kindness should be returned with another act of kindness ..... That is how I see it anyway ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, kylep said:

What an idiot you clearly are.  Are you the president of the airport phone thief fan club? 

Go back and read the other thread and get an edjumacation on the difference between finding and stealing... better yet, I'll give you a head start:

1.  Finding a cellphone in an airport (with no intent to return it) is stealing.  Putting it in your pocket and walking out with it with no attempt to hand it over to the airport authorities is the same as stealing it.

Q:  If you go to the airport and "find" a unattended piece of luggage (or bag) that is not yours and you walk out with it and take it home is that not stealing?  What exactly is the difference in "finding" a piece of luggage and a "finding" a cell phone then??

A;  Just the size  One conveniently fits on your pocket and one is large and harder to walk out with.

2:  There's a big difference between finding a phone in the middle of the ocean vs finding one in an airport.  In the airport case, the owner was probably nearby and could have possibly been paged over the intercom and the phone promptly returned.

The fisherman obviously didn't take out the SIM card or avoid answering the phone (as if to evade the owner).  He found it floating out in the ocean and obviously could have just kept it ....but he answered the call and promptly returned it. 

He could have turned it in to the police station (yes) but regardless, he returned it to the owner promptly just before the owner was about to board the flight out which worked out best for the rightful owner.

And I don't believe there are security guards, airport police, airport and airlines employees, a lost and found or a PA system in the middle of the ocean.

I give up.

The irrational, delusional, utter and complete ignorance and incompetence shown by some of the posters here on these phone threads is mind boggling (to say the least).  No wonder this world is so messed up.  

I have now lost all faith and hope in mankind.  The world is doomed.  There is no hope.  It breaks my fart.... ah, I mean heart. 

May your poor, lost souls be blessed by God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, The Virgin Mary, Father Time, The Creator, The Anti-Christ and the like (in no particular order and my apologies if I left a few out, it was not my intention).

Now please pass me the f**king punch, I might as well drink from the poison well too 'cause it gets awful lonely battling with the loonies here in these two phone threads. 

I feel like Nurse Ratchet in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest (surrounded by nut cases whilst still among a few good men).

15 hours ago, rvaviator said:

That is easy to say when you have money in the bank ... and not living hand to mouth like a fisherman does ... Doing the right thing .. does not always put food on the table ... I would gladly hand over a few K if I had my mobile returned to me by someone with less money than me .... if the reward was rejected I would not feel that was right ... act of kindness should be returned with another act of kindness ..... That is how I see it anyway ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok. Actually I did give a taxi driver 2 k for returning my wife’s phone.

im just saying seeking rewards isn’t the same as kindness which is what these silly stories in the THAI media portray.

true kindness has nothing to do with rewards. 

Archived