what happened to Grab?

cmarshall

For the past two days I am not able to book a Grab taxi or car here in Patumwan.  The app appears to be working, quotes a price, but then when I press the book button it immediately fails to book a car.  I can even see idle cars on the map.

Is Grab defunct?

Around Songkran many drivers take holiday with family to sometimes other provinces.. Normal booking fee of 20bht was increased to 50bht during Songkran holidays, and I didn't see any prewarning to this increase, but fair enough and justified IMO.. 

I did notice in Nonthaburi from just before Songkran that I'd have to re-book my ride up to 5 times because drivers weren't accepting the ride.. But this not the norm. Due to Songkran holidays again and less drivers. 

Grab prices haven't increased at all. Normal metered fare plus booking fee.. Same, same and I'm a weekly regular passenger.. 

On my android app I don't ever see multiple cars around.. You make a booking, a driver accepts, you're given an approx ETA in mins, and the GPS shows the taxi location heading to its pick-up point.. 

21 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Idiotic comment that attempts to put words in my mouth

Would love to know your reasoning then, how you know they refuse the ride when they see a foreigner's name, and why you think they do it.

I have a foreign name and think I have been declined once, and I am sure it wasn't because of my name.  

On 4/23/2019 at 2:22 PM, Fairynuff said:

Many drivers cancel when they see a foreign name

29 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:
2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Right, course they do.  Because they are all racists and would rather not earn the money.  Makes sense.

Idiotic comment that attempts to put words in my mouth

Nope... there was only one idiotic comment I saw in that chain....  it was the one which implies drivers cancel when they see a foreign name... which is just outright idiotic...  it implies racism, it implies the drivers would rather not earn the money... it implies exactly what josephbloggs wrote !!!  

It also implies that your anti-foreigner paranoid delusions exceed your intelligence...  not words I'm putting into your mouth by the way, just an observation made obvious by your comments. 

On Grab - Their services has deteriorated rapidly since competition has been lost with UBER. 

GrabCar is still better than regular Taxi's - but prices have doubled since there is no competition with UBER.

You get what you pay for and with Grab you get a car which in most cases guarantees a trouble free journey - there is no concern regarding whether or not you are going to encounter an additional degree of 'Thai-fuckwittery' (Which is not a Thai-bash, its a Thai-Taxi-driver bash!).... 

It has been implied (on other threads) that having the Cash Payment checked rather than payment by Credit Card increases your chances of getting a ride at busy times. But it also increases your chances of having a luddite in a crappy beaten up old vehicle driving you. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nope... there was only one idiotic comment I saw in that chain....  it was the one which implies drivers cancel when they see a foreign name... which is just outright idiotic...  it implies racism, it implies the drivers would rather not earn the money... it implies exactly what josephbloggs wrote !!!  

It also implies that your anti-foreigner paranoid delusions exceed your intelligence...  not words I'm putting into your mouth by the way, just an observation made obvious by your comments. 

So the fact that I’ve had numerous conversations with Grab drivers on this subject is a figment of my low intelligence. The fact these guys actually gave that reason is untrue....whatever

51 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Would love to know your reasoning then, how you know they refuse the ride when they see a foreigner's name, and why you think they do it.

I have a foreign name and think I have been declined once, and I am sure it wasn't because of my name.  

The first time I had a conversation with a driver on this was after 2 drivers had cancelled at a time when traffic would not have been the issue. The guy said that some people lack confidence to deal with foreigners and not be able to communicate. Knowing that this happens in lots of other situations too it’s clearly true. Of course you can’t prove it , that’s obvious but if you think it’s never happened to you in one way or another then I think you’re in your own world

Archived