Alcoholism (disease form) is contagious

I find it easier to stay sober and get my mind back strong mind when im alone.

I cant be around alcoholics, We end up being bad influences on each other, Especially in Thailand.

The beautiful women and warm climate isnt enough reason for me to stay, I cannot keep fighting the DTs hence me now posting from abroad in a small town in Cambodia.

Im not drinking ever again, I am on another path, I dont wanna be rich either because wealth can destry you mental well being.

I just wanna live a quiet content life in the cambodian country side no alcohol what so ever , No more mongering,No more soi 6 and no more Pattaya.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

image.png.eea3da566432bbd68f5928b22c0f6817.png

Seriously though, agree with you completely.  Hanging around the daily drinking crowd will wear you down.  I did it for about 9 months and had to wave the white flag.  It's unsustainable. 

Its a kind of social suicide , Some guys just have a calling for it especially low budget mongers who just cant stop.

So then, how's your initial feeling over/up in Cambo? I've never been there, Laos, or Vietnam for that matter.  Never had the urge.  I used some personal discipline and simply pulled away from the drinking crew and do my own thing.  It was a change, lost a few 'drinking buddies' but that's part of the process.  I'm sure it would be harder in Pattaya if that was the basis for your whole existence day to day. 

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

So then, how's your initial feeling over/up in Cambo? I've never been there, Laos, or Vietnam for that matter.  Never had the urge.  I used some personal discipline and simply pulled away from the drinking crew and do my own thing.  It was a change, lost a few 'drinking buddies' but that's part of the process.  I'm sure it would be harder in Pattaya if that was the basis for your whole existence day to day. 

Cambodians are warm and friendly like i can imagine thais 30 years ago.

I learned when i was working in the west i just wanted to go to Pattaya because i was desperate for female company, Then on arrival to pattaya I started burning through cash uncontrollably and wake up feeling absolutely horrible / Hungover and with the DTs.

Answer is that Pattaya isnt the holy grail and those people frequenting those bars are all a little bit lost.

8 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

We have a good run on the Philippines comparison so would be nice to know hows Cambodia for immigration and staying, renting, eating out etc as opposed to Thailand. ?

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

We have a good run on the Philippines comparison so would be nice to know hows Cambodia for immigration and staying, renting, eating out etc as opposed to Thailand. ?

If you're over 55 and have $300 you can have a 1 year multi entry 'ES VISA' for Cambodia, no questions asked, no need to see immigration. You need to enter on the $35 ordinary VISA if you have the intention of extending with an ES (= extended stay) VISA.

Rooms are available from $150/month and up. In western ghettos eating out from $2 up. Indian curry will cost around $5.

Booze is cheaper and women are younger, both are as easily available in Cambodia as they are in Thailand.

27 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Answer is that Pattaya isnt the holy grail and those people frequenting those bars are all a little bit lost.

Not all lost. The strong can handle it year after year and are having a ball. 

But but there is a very high attrition rate. Over 90% of my original drinking crew from ten years ago have fallen. Either broke financially, have died, gave up, married and moved on or deported.

Pattaya sure has sorted the men from the boys.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're over 55 and have $300 you can have a 1 year multi entry 'ES VISA' for Cambodia, no questions asked, no need to see immigration. You need to enter on the $35 ordinary VISA if you have the intention of extending with an ES (= extended stay) VISA.

Rooms are available from $150/month and up. In western ghettos eating out from $2 up. Indian curry will cost around $5.

Booze is cheaper and women are younger, both are as easily available in Cambodia as they are in Thailand.

Small correction, ES is for Extended Student...

ES visa extension. The ES visa extension is a student visa. Applicants for the ES visa extension need to provide a letter from a registered Cambodian school, as well as evidence of sufficient funds to support themselves. The ES student visa extension can be issued for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.

The ER is for Extended Retirement... 

ER visa extension. The new retirement visa extension is meant for those of retirement age who can show documentation of retirement in their home country (such as a pension or Social Security) and prove that they have the funds to support themselves. ER visa extensions are usually only granted to those who are 55 and up, but some have reported being able to get one at a younger age. Those 55 and up are not usually asked to show evidence of retirement, but those under 55 will be asked. Often, proof of savings is enough.  The criteria for those under 55 have not been defined and varies depending on which agent you use to apply. The ER visa extension cannot be used if the visa holder is employed, but holders of this visa extension do not need to get a work permit. The ER retirement visa extension can be issued for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.

Useful site for anybody thinking of making the move there https://www.movetocambodia.com 

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Rooms are available from $ 150 / month and up.

Thanks for that, an acquaintance wants to live somewhere cheaper and save money to be able to stay in Thailand I showed him Philippine info, Cambodia seems better for that purpose and with multi entry could come Thailand 30 days at a time I guess.

He was asking about Laos and Myanmar comparisons to I told him I have no idea and to join TV. ???? 

53 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I learned when i was working in the west i just wanted to go to Pattaya because i was desperate for female company, Then on arrival to pattaya I started burning through cash uncontrollably and wake up feeling absolutely horrible / Hungover and with the DTs.

You cant of been in Cambodia long, it was only last week you told us that Bangkok was the Holy Grail. You must have only been in Cambodia less than week. I presume there are larger issues at work than the place you are located.

24 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Small correction, ES is for Extended Student...

ES visa extension. The ES visa extension is a student visa. Applicants for the ES visa extension need to provide a letter from a registered Cambodian school, as well as evidence of sufficient funds to support themselves. The ES student visa extension can be issued for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.

The ER is for Extended Retirement... 

ER visa extension. The new retirement visa extension is meant for those of retirement age who can show documentation of retirement in their home country (such as a pension or Social Security) and prove that they have the funds to support themselves. ER visa extensions are usually only granted to those who are 55 and up, but some have reported being able to get one at a younger age. Those 55 and up are not usually asked to show evidence of retirement, but those under 55 will be asked. Often, proof of savings is enough.  The criteria for those under 55 have not been defined and varies depending on which agent you use to apply. The ER visa extension cannot be used if the visa holder is employed, but holders of this visa extension do not need to get a work permit. The ER retirement visa extension can be issued for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months.

Useful site for anybody thinking of making the move there https://www.movetocambodia.com 

You're probably right, I glanced at my pals passport, but I'm constantly drunk (as is he) so could easily have misremembered the fine print. He just got his last month, just filled in a form at an agent's office, paid (I think it was $280), and it came back a few days later. Hard not to drink all day every day in Cambodia as draught beer is the cheapest liquid on sale.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You're probably right, I glanced at my pals passport, but I'm constantly drunk (as is he) so could easily have misremembered the fine print. He just got his last month, just filled in a form at an agent's office, paid (I think it was $280), and it came back a few days later. Hard not to drink all day every day in Cambodia as draught beer is the cheapest liquid on sale.

When I read the OP, I did think that Cambodia isn't a place I would choose if my main goal was to stay away from alcohol...

Philippines might be better for that, especially Davao where there aren't that many Ex-pat bars to fall into...

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

When I read the OP, I did think that Cambodia isn't a place I would choose if my main goal was to stay away from alcohol...

Philippines might be better for that, especially Davao where there aren't that many Ex-pat bars to fall into...

Can't agree, I spend almost my entire time in Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam falling down drunk. In Cambodia I was even drinking beer with breakfast. Can't drink at all now back in Thailand as I've come back so ill from the previous two weeks drinking that I'm either confined to my home or in hospital. At least when I'm in Thailand the price tends to curb my drinking.

But I'm not an alcoholic, it's just a hobby.

Don't really understand your "rambling" OP... Particularly the nonsense of the "headline".

There is no other type of Alcoholism that is not a disease. Alcoholism is not "contagious"..(can be heriditary, in the genes or self inflicted).

I know a little about this subject. I tried for 30 years to get sober before finally recovering. I am now going on 18 yrs. free of the obsession for alcohol.

I found it impossible to recover through self will, I needed the help of people who showed me how they did it.. people who, like myself, had been trapped in a body with a mind and brain that had turned against them. No doctor or priest who had not been there themselves could have helped me.

If you ever need to talk I will always be here to listen.

May God (or whatever you believe in) protect you.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree, I spend almost my entire time in Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam falling down drunk. In Cambodia I was even drinking beer with breakfast. Can't drink at all now back in Thailand as I've come back so ill from the previous two weeks drinking that I'm either confined to my home or in hospital. At least when I'm in Thailand the price tends to curb my drinking.

But I'm not an alcoholic, it's just a hobby.

Slow down on these trips. One of my friends came back from a trip two months ago and ended up having an infection from drinking too much. Seems now it may be a permanent condition and it has affected his life to the point, he cannot leave his house. It was just a week of heavy drinking but it broke the camels back. Please be careful. 

4 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Slow down on these trips. One of my friends came back from a trip two months ago and ended up having an infection from drinking too much. Seems now it may be a permanent condition and it has affected his life to the point, he cannot leave his house. It was just a week of heavy drinking but it broke the camels back. Please be careful. 

I think I may have equalled your pal.

Will have to wait until after Friday (when they pull all the tubes out) to see if I can resume normal life.

But the good news is, the pills I have to take (1 a day probably forever) are just as good as three-six strong shots of alcohol and only cost 1bht each.

Alcohol is a Group 1 carcinogen, has been classed as that since 1989. Many alcoholics succumb to liver cirrhosis ( scarring ) which usually ends with them shitting blood.

I still enjoy a drink or two; however, I've found by avoiding alcohol on weekdays I feel much healthier.

On the other hand, I can't see any point to limiting sex. While there is the occasional cardiac arrest, for the vast majority it is healthy exercise.

I would agree peer group pressure is a factor in alcoholism. One just has to resist the pressure.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Will have to wait until after Friday (when they pull all the tubes out) to see if I can resume normal life.

But the good news is, the pills I have to take (1 a day probably forever) are just as good as three-six strong shots of alcohol and only cost 1bht each.

Sorry to read that - I wish you a full recovery. 

We rarely agree on many topics, but remaining healthy is one I'm sure we agree on... I hope those 1baht tablets are as strong as 3-6 shots are good - I wouldn't mind a try !!!

Regarding the Op: Alcoholsim is always a divisive subject with many facets. 

Any questionnaire I take seems rather puritan and places me in the unenviable position of being a raving alcoholic...  in reality I drink whenever I want, which generally means socially and know when to stop and never have issues...  but I have a better time when I drink !!!

The Op kind of lost me when he mentioned he doesn't want to get Rich??... kind of Odd, I would welcome the situation of knowing myself or my family will never have any money problems for the rest of my our lives (which at the moment would be a guarantee of another 20 years work). 

I was out the other night with a friend whose gone full AA. We were all out drinking beers, he was on soda. We all enjoyed ourselves, I don't know how much of a battle it was for him if at all, he's not had an alcoholic drink for a year. I respected his strength. 

Personally, I enjoy drinking, I enjoy wine with dinner, I enjoy a beer after playing football, I enjoy a Whisky in the evening sometimes.... I don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk, but I enjoy the feeling of being half way there and have learnt to moderate my intake to 'stay on that plateaux' when on a big night out with friends. 

I guess its all down to the individual....  and each of us have our own limits and behave a different way under when on the sauce... I generally become a more placid and agreeable version of myself !

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What is the active ingredient of the pills? Interesting if you are getting that amount of euphoria.

I take it the tubes are for rehydration. Good luck with your recovery.

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

The most dangerous combination is any of the hepatitis strains and alcohol. Potentially lethal.

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I guess its all down to the individual....  and each of us have our own limits and behave a different way under when on the sauce... I generally become a more placid and agreeable version of myself !

I become more confident and persuasive with women.

I don't believe I've ever bedded a women where I wasn't drunk when I first met her.

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

the good news is, the pills I have to take (1 a day probably forever) are just as good as three-six strong shots of alcohol and only cost 1bht each.

I am permanently bent of antipsychotics. It's like I am drunk but not drunk 24/7. A strange feeling that over twenty years, I have never gotten use to. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The most dangerous combination is any of the hepatitis strains and alcohol. Potentially lethal.

Pancreatic problems that have not cleared up. I have another friend with colon problems all caused by excessive drinking. Both have literally killed themselves from the sauce but they seem to live happy lives being permanently inebriated to the point they look sober all the time.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I become more confident and persuasive with women.

I don't believe I've ever bedded a women where I wasn't drunk when I first met her.

Evidently brewer's droop is not a problem for you.

I think it's really quite sad that guys of your age can't find anything to do but drink alcohol all day long. Is it really so hard to take up a fun hobby or something else to keep you occupied during the day? All you have to do is find something else that isn't drinking and go do that. And then just drink once or twice a week if you must (and actually enjoy it for once). 

1 minute ago, Quack said:

I think it's really quite sad that guys of your age can't find anything to do but drink alcohol all day long. Is it really so hard to take up a fun hobby or something else to keep you occupied during the day? All you have to do is find something else that isn't drinking and go do that. And then just drink once or twice a week if you must (and actually enjoy it for once). 

Drinking is the best hobby in the world, you can do it anywhere with anyone at anytime.

My pals and I meet up in different bars in different countries every few months.

Archived