Tourist Visa Possible (in Uk) With A One Way Ticket?

Hello there.

My previous trips to Thailand were the usual short holidays where I got by on a single VOA visa-exempt entry. I'm now heading out to the far east for an extended period. I'm hoping to spend at least one month, and maybe several more, in Thailand, but I will also be heading to Cambodia, Hong Kong, and I'll possibly hit Laos and Vietnam at some point too. I'm starting my big adventure in Thailand, and I want to go in on a tourist visa so that I can have 2 months before I need to plan my next step, 3 months if I pick up the extension while I am there.

I'd prefer to just buy a single ticket to Bangkok, because I don't know when I am coming back to the UK, and when I fly back I'd like to not be tied to flying from one particular city. I'm pretty much going to be making it up as I go along on this trip, which is half the fun. If I buy just the outbound ticket, would they still allow me a 60 day tourist visa in London before I leave?

As a second question, would it be possible to get a VOA visa-exempt entryon just a one way ticket? I could then leave Thailand for ... wherever I would be going next at the end of the month. Obviously visa runners have no problems just crossing the border every 30 days (until now of course), but for my first entry into Thailand I'd really like to go in without any hassle or unnecessary expense. I could buy an open return, but I'm going to look into some potential work options (decent ones, nothing dodgy) in the region and I may not actually go home if they pan out. It would be a waste to have that, or to buy a return and keep changing the return date. I've got funds to live off for a few months, but I'm reluctant to spend it on air travel that I don't need at this time.

Oh yes, and this is all a bit last minute. I plan to fly out in the next few days, so I'll need to buy a ticket now, and get a visa before the end of this week (if I can). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by maestro
Corrected visa terminology for better unerstanding

Some consulates want to see a return ticket for a tourist visa, or even for a non-immigrant visa, but I believe you will have no problem getting a tourist visa form an honorary consulate in the UK without showing a ticket.

Extremely rare are the reports where a tourist arriving without a return ticket was refused a visa-exempt entry in Thailand. However, without a visa the airline is likely to refuse you boarding if you have no confirmed onward or return flight within 30 days.

--

Maestro

Some consulates want to see a return ticket for a tourist visa, or even for a non-immigrant visa, but I believe you will have no problem getting a tourist visa form an honorary consulate in the UK without showing a ticket.

Extremely rare are the reports where a tourist arriving without a return ticket was refused a visa-exempt entry in Thailand. However, without a visa the airline is likely to refuse you boarding if you have no confirmed onward or return flight within 30 days.

--

Maestro

i am flying to los tomorrow with one way ticket. but was warned by hull consulate if no visa purchased then the airline will refuse to fly you and that bangkok will want to see visa or return ticket. otherwise no entry in los.

--

Maestro

i am flying to los tomorrow with one way ticket. but was warned by hull consulate if no visa purchased then the airline will refuse to fly you and that bangkok will want to see visa or return ticket. otherwise no entry in los.

I too, was told the same by Hull and phoned Thai Airways who confirmed THEY have no problem with me flying with a one way ticket. Hull also told me I would need a UK criminal check to convert my Non 'O' to retirement visa within LOS and I have since found out (on this site) that its also incorrect :o

I get a return amsterdam bangkok its always for 5-6 weeks

but I fly on to phnom phen ,

Get a visa for 30 days on arrival for cambodia and then go to thailand for the last

two weeks or so.

When I check in for the amsterdam bangkok flight they see i have no visa

and my ticket is for more than 30 days ,they ask where I am going. they always

want to see my ticket to PP.

Flying via zurich my tickets were checked at the gate they also wanted to see

my ongoing ticket.

They really may not let you board if you have no visa so get a cheap airasia ticket

to PP or KL.

Thanks for the replies.

I had been into town yesterday to buy an open return, only to find that the travel agent couldn't find the same direct outbound flights that I could get online. Anyway, her suggestion was that I buy a ticket with a fixed return date, and just phone the airline and pay a small fee to change the date on it as required. According to her, this works out a lot cheaper than an open return.

My preference for a single ticket was because right now the singles are only just over half the cost of a return. By the time I've rearranged the return ticket a couple of times I'll be out of pocket, and if I never use it ... ah well, guess I have no real choice in the matter, just have to grin and bear it. Guess this is just part of the price of travelling without any real plans. I'll buy a ticket with a return date set for 3 months, and worry about what to do with it when June arrives.

So is getting a visa simply a case of rolling up to the embassy and asking nicely?

Hello there.

My previous trips to Thailand were the usual short holidays where I got by on a single VOA visa-exempt entry. I'm now heading out to the far east for an extended period. I'm hoping to spend at least one month, and maybe several more, in Thailand, but I will also be heading to Cambodia, Hong Kong, and I'll possibly hit Laos and Vietnam at some point too. I'm starting my big adventure in Thailand, and I want to go in on a tourist visa so that I can have 2 months before I need to plan my next step, 3 months if I pick up the extension while I am there.

I'd prefer to just buy a single ticket to Bangkok, because I don't know when I am coming back to the UK, and when I fly back I'd like to not be tied to flying from one particular city. I'm pretty much going to be making it up as I go along on this trip, which is half the fun. If I buy just the outbound ticket, would they still allow me a 60 day tourist visa in London before I leave?

As a second question, would it be possible to get a VOA visa-exempt entryon just a one way ticket? I could then leave Thailand for ... wherever I would be going next at the end of the month. Obviously visa runners have no problems just crossing the border every 30 days (until now of course), but for my first entry into Thailand I'd really like to go in without any hassle or unnecessary expense. I could buy an open return, but I'm going to look into some potential work options (decent ones, nothing dodgy) in the region and I may not actually go home if they pan out. It would be a waste to have that, or to buy a return and keep changing the return date. I've got funds to live off for a few months, but I'm reluctant to spend it on air travel that I don't need at this time.

Oh yes, and this is all a bit last minute. I plan to fly out in the next few days, so I'll need to buy a ticket now, and get a visa before the end of this week (if I can). Thanks in advance for any advice.

:o It seems we answer this question or something similiar about once a week.

1. First if you can get a Tourist visa, it is unlikely that you will be asked about a return ticket.

2. The AIRLINE may ask you for an onward ticket when you leave. The reason is that Thailand requires an ONWARD ticket on arrival. Please note that is an ONWARD ticket, not a RETURN ticket. Therefore if you have a ticket to Thailand, and an onward ticket out of Thailand (say to Vietnam as an example) that is all that is required.

3. In practice it is pretty unlikely that you will actually be asked by Thai immigration for that onward ticket. In all my 20 plus years I have never been asked by Thai immigration for that onward ticket.

4. I have once been asked by an airline (SAS) for an onward ticket when entering without a visa (entry stamp on arrival). Only once in 20 plus years.

5. However, the rules say you must have an onward ticket and the AIRLINE that brings you to Thailand is required to take you out of Thailand if for some reason you are not allowed to enter Thailand. That is why the AIRLINE is concerned about your ticket.

6. The best thing to do, if you can afford it, is to buy a ticket to Thailand and then a short hop ticket to a neighboring country (i.e. Vietnam or Malysia). Leave the date open. Pay cash or with credit card. The unused portion of the ticket is good for one year. It can also be used as CREDIT for the purchase of the final ticket you use to leave Thailand. Has to be same airline most of the time. It may require a verification from the point where you originally purchased the ticket.

7. I've done this before. It isn't rocket science, and it does work.

:D

I'm out the door in an hour or so. I'll have a punt at getting the visa first. If they refuse me, I'll at least be able to ask them directly about my plans to travel around before heading round the corner to buy a ticket (of whatever description). I do like the suggestion of buying a ticket to a neighbouring country instead of a return. I know for a fact that I will be going to Hong Kong at some point, I just don't know when. That wouldn't go unused.

And IMA_FARANG, sorry to be the muppet to ask this question this week. I hate it when other people do this as well, I promise that I'll take a turn being the one to answer it in the future to make up for it. Thanks for the detailed answer though, nice one.

I'm out the door in an hour or so. I'll have a punt at getting the visa first.
You shouldn't have a problem getting a Visa and thenn with the visa you will be allowed on the flight with a O/W ticket and it's unlikely you'll be asked for an onward ticket once you arrive. If you do buy an onward ticket to HK, are you aware the cheapest is probably Air Asia to Macau (a short boat ride from HK). check their web site for terms and conditions if you need to change the date.