Bar Noise

Beggar

I would like to know if anybody ever had success to stop the noise of a bar. And if so what he did. My situation is like this. I have a condo and about a year ago a very noisy bar opened opposite of it. Very loud music with extreme bass. I talked friendly to the bar owner to reduce the volume a bit. He was laughing and told me that he likes it like this. I called the 1337 City Hotline several times and they always told me that they will contact the police. But nothing ever changed. Is it really like this that nothing can be done?

In respect of windows and earplugs I have done what is possible - the special windows have several cm thick glass what is still not enough for very deep frequencies. Nothing can be improved here anymore - please no advice in this direction. In the meantime I also understand that I should have rented a condo and that it was a bad idea to buy one. When I bought it this area was completely quiet. But this is no excuse if you buy something in Pattaya with endless noisy bars. 

• Like 2

what time are they finishing up? if its after legal closing hours then you have a case if its not then there is not much you can do. If you know a Thai then you could organise to meet a BIB and make a donation of several thousand baht. The bar is not licenced guaranteed

• Like 1

I remember being in a bar in Naklua when it was visited by police (maybe from the Tessaban) who brought devices to measure noise decibels. As it turned out the levels were below whatever the limit is. Maybe local municipality is far better for reporting and done in person (with Thai speaker) rather than by phone. There is a 2am - 6am noise rule as well as this decibel limit. Good luck.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, petermik said:

Sorry for your plight but as many folks on here have found in the past that it,s better to rent than buy...places can be initially idyllic until others arrive and don,t give a flying fart about disturbing others and the law is useless here,especially so if your a farang.....moving is the only solution I,m afraid :sad:

You are right. I rented a condo at this condominium for about 20 years. After so much quiet experience I have thought I should buy. I am getting old and I don't want to move anymore. The condo is very big and has many windows and balkony doors. Impossible to find a fix for this. 

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

You are right. I rented a condo at this condominium for about 20 years. After so much quiet experience I have thought I should buy. I am getting old and I don't want to move anymore. The condo is very big and has many windows and balkony doors. Impossible to find a fix for this. 

And I hope you notify any prospective buyer as to the reason you are selling........????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

Thank you all for your advice. One thing I missed - I could jump from the balcony. Perhaps I will go to the City Hall directly and complain there. But as Kittenkong wrote they have no teeth and so it might not change anything. 

Somehow I was hoping that someone else had this problem and a successful fight and he could tell me his experience. Sadly I seem to be the only one with such a problem. I know many co-owners that complain too. But if I ask them what they did - nothing. And if I ask them to go with me to the City Hall - no way.

For me the situation is really bad. If I can't solve this problem I will move out. If you can't sleep, watch TV or even talk to other persons in your condo anymore then this situation is unbearable. And it is very bad that anybody with a speaker can destroy your investment without any consequences. 

Have you considered arson?

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Just as you would if you were in the position of having to sell, I suppose? 

Absolutely...honesty is always the best way.....and I,m surprised you even need to ask such a question :sad:

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Have you considered arson?

No. But the only reason was that I could not get it. Do you have a dealer? 

It is hard to imagine how stupid answers can get. But always expect the unexpected.... 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buy the bar and turn it into a laundry.

I was at City Hall last week, they were very polite, i was there due to a dog bite, but it sounds like its worth going

I had a dog bite too in front of a 7-Eleven. And I told the City Hall where these dogs are and asked them what I should do now. The answer is written here:

---

Gladly all these dogs are still around here and healthy. Like me. One more thing - the phone call to the City Hall is recorded. Also my visit to the Pattaya City Hospital is of course documented there. 

Edited by Beggar

Amazes me how many expat wimps live and post here. From my past business that I have had here I have had to sue many thai's who would try to cheat me by changing terms. I won all of them in court or by settlement. Yes I had some threats my way but only talk. I know other expats who did the same and we all lived to tell the tail.

For your case I would not approach the bar owner directly again. Kitten gave some great advise in post 4. If your co-0wners won't go with you to city hall, see if they will sign a petition.  

I would then get a layer and have him follow up with city hall, just make sure he is an actual layer. The younger ones tend be cheaper. 

Keep pushing it but be patient as this could take some time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marinediscoking said:

Amazes me how many expat wimps live and post here. From my past business that I have had here I have had to sue many thai's who would try to cheat me by changing terms. I won all of them in court or by settlement. Yes I had some threats my way but only talk. I know other expats who did the same and we all lived to tell the tail.

For your case I would not approach the bar owner directly again. Kitten gave some great advise in post 4. If your co-0wners won't go with you to city hall, see if they will sign a petition.  

I would then get a layer and have him follow up with city hall, just make sure he is an actual layer. The younger ones tend be cheaper. 

Keep pushing it but be patient as this could take some time. 

I was thinking about a lawyer already. It seems to be the last resort to avoid the City Hall and the police and put this in my own hands. I am not sure how far I can go without a bullet proof west. I was told that this bar owner has very good connections. It was a big mistake to buy anything here in the end in the middle of a huge red light district that gets bigger and bigger every day. 

• Haha 1

Boots wax earplugs, Sony noise cancelling headphones. I know the noise is a pain, we suffer from 15 dogs but music is worse, they often wack the bass up so much you can hearly hear what is being sung, boom boom thud.

Edited by Orton Rd

7 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I was thinking about a lawyer already. It seems to be the last resort to avoid the City Hall and the police and put this in my own hands. I am not sure how far I can go without a bullet proof west. I was told that this bar owner has very good connections. It was a big mistake to buy anything here in the end in the middle of a huge red light district that gets bigger and bigger every day. 

Everyone in Thailand claims "to KNOW SOMEONE".

• Like 1

Calling Pattaya city hall is useless as they collect monthly donations 

Call 1111, and keep on calling.

Had a similar problem about 3 years ago. From memory called 1111 6-7 times and bar was closed down.

1111 contacts Pattaya city hall, each and every time, once Pattaya sees Bangkok is involved they must act.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Boots wax earplugs, Sony noise cancelling headphones. I know the noise is a pain, we suffer from 15 dogs but music is worse, they often wack the bass up so much you can hearly hear what is being sung, boom boom thud.

Earplugs a great idea. I should have considered this earlier. Mostly I start to use them at 5 pm. I am not kidding now. 

20190429_134129.jpg

• Haha 1

Don't bother with the foam or plastic ones, or silicone (they break up) you can mold the wax one right into your ear when they get warmed up, shuts out a lot. About 110 baht, when they have them in.

Edited by Orton Rd