Bar Noise

Beggar

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Then why choose to live in Central Pattaya? There are condos in Jomtien and Naklua that aren't surrounded by noisy beer bars.

When I bought this condo this area was completely quiet. Do you really think I would have bought a condo next to a bar? Jomtien, I hear similar stories in respect of noise. Naklua I don't know. So if you are not surrounded by noisy bars today that might not be the same in the future. Pattaya sadly has no zoning and so no guarantee. 

Edited by Beggar
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 hours ago, Beggar said:
Strange thing. I can't select your text without selecting my text too.

If you look at the development in Central Pattaya you can see more and more bars. Look at Soi Buakhao, look at Tree Town and many other places. Central Pattaya is a big red light district in the meantime. There were always bars. But now there are so many new bars. Many of them are without customers. I haven't been to a bar for very many years and I always ask myself how they can survive. Do you know how? One day I was told that many bars are just used for money laundering. But I am not sure if this is correct. And yes you are right - it takes only 1 bar to destroy your life. 

I don't go to bars much, maybe once a week or two. How they survive is a mystery, same with many businesses, the answer is probably, they don't survive it's just a slow death

Sad thing is that the less customers they have the more people they hire to yell and grab at passers by, and the less I want to go in.

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

I was thinking about a lawyer already. It seems to be the last resort to avoid the City Hall and the police and put this in my own hands. I am not sure how far I can go without a bullet proof west. I was told that this bar owner has very good connections. It was a big mistake to buy anything here in the end in the middle of a huge red light district that gets bigger and bigger every day. 

It seems you are angry about many things, you managed a good few clichés in that post!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

We bought our home in Pattaya just off Thra Paya when there was nothing around us except trees and a block away, a hotel. Since, we have a quiet Church, condos, nice neighbors, and a condo owned by lovely ladies. We also have one of our children's homes in Ayutthaya and one under construction (second son). We have a comfortable apartment attached to #1 Son's large home and visit there. One bar across Thra Paya sometimes gets really noisy but not often. I'm married to a Thai lady, have been for 47 years and if anyone gets too bothersome....well there are ways to handle that.

I have a similar situation.  I rented a condo in CM in a nice neighborhood.  The mistake was that I did not check for noise at night.  There is a fairly small bar with live music across the street that gets really bad late until about 0100.  I don't understand, given the size of the bar, the seemingly hundreds of motorcycles parked all over the place.

Actually, I can tolerate the noise from the bar.  It is what happens at closing time.  Each night they seem to have the noisiest bike contest with every 18 year old Thai trying to impress their girlfriends by riding up and down the street over and over.  After most of the bikes are gone, about 0200, I can hear loud seemingly drunk young teen girls yelling at each other until about 0400.

Fortunately I rented so I can move early next year.  I like where I live, so I may try to find a condo on wing in the back of the building with empty pool space between.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, KittenKong said:

Only if you are a wimp or a quitter. Real men complain politely but insistently and in the end they get what they want.

<deleted>.  The only hope the OP has is if the bar goes under.  Which, fortunately for him, happens quite frequently here.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, KittenKong said:

Only if you are a wimp or a quitter. Real men complain politely but insistently and in the end they get what they want.

I have a friend in Pattaya who complained about loud music and was very insistent, he has a lovely scar on his head to prove it. He didn't get what he wanted but learned a valuable lesson. Never, ever be insistent with drunk Thai men or women.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, KittenKong said:

Go to City Hall in person and politely complain at the department of public health. It is their job to monitor this and they will do so. Take written details of dates and times, and a photo of the bar. If other co-owners are affected be sure to include them in the complaint. If you can get a Thai to complain also, so much the better. Your building management and committee may also help with this if they are any good (most aren't).

Unfortunately the public health people dont have much in the way of teeth so if the bar owner ignores them the only thing you can do is complain in writing to the Banglamung district office who are the ones that issue licences. If you keep at it you will succeed, but it may take a lot of time and effort. Above all, stay polite.

In 2013, myself and other condo owners went that route (personal visits with the Deputy Mayor and Banglamung Chief) and it worked. The shooting out in front of this short lived bar, which I captured on video, helped quite a bit to get it shut down. I moved after that and rented ever since. Good luck my friend.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, Beggar said:

In respect of windows and earplugs I have done what is possible - the special windows have several cm thick glass what is still not enough for very deep frequencies. Nothing can be improved here anymore - please no advice in this direction

While I understand that you may not be able or want to change anything with regard to your windows just having thick glass is usually not the best way to reduce noise coming through windows. The best way is having different thickness of glass with a large air gap between them. Wood frames are better than PVC which is better than aluminium.

Having, for example an IGU (double glazing unit) with different thickness of glass and one of those a laminated pane will be much better. You can also add secondary glazing inside your existing windows which if properly fitted will give an even better sound reduction.

My doors and windows, though not specifically designed to reduce sound, give me over 20dB reduction and they are quite big.

• Thanks 1

The noise you can hear may be the least of your problems. They like to put cellular transmitters on the roof of random places there, without notice. In this day and age,???? the pollution you can't see, smell or hear is way more deadly.

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I have a similar situation.  I rented a condo in CM in a nice neighborhood.  The mistake was that I did not check for noise at night.  There is a fairly small bar with live music across the street that gets really bad late until about 0100.  I don't understand, given the size of the bar, the seemingly hundreds of motorcycles parked all over the place.

Actually, I can tolerate the noise from the bar.  It is what happens at closing time.  Each night they seem to have the noisiest bike contest with every 18 year old Thai trying to impress their girlfriends by riding up and down the street over and over.  After most of the bikes are gone, about 0200, I can hear loud seemingly drunk young teen girls yelling at each other until about 0400.

Fortunately I rented so I can move early next year.  I like where I live, so I may try to find a condo on wing in the back of the building with empty pool space between.

Ahhh.... now that sounds like a great way to relax and enjoy my retirement. ????

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, KittenKong said:

How often did you do that already?

How often were you successful?

And how often did someone, obviously in polite words, tell you to mind your own business or else?

Personally I heard enough stories to know sometimes it is just better to shut up.

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While I understand that you may not be able or want to change anything with regard to your windows just having thick glass is usually not the best way to reduce noise coming through windows. The best way is having different thickness of glass with a large air gap between them. Wood frames are better than PVC which is better than aluminium.

Having, for example an IGU (double glazing unit) with different thickness of glass and one of those a laminated pane will be much better. You can also add secondary glazing inside your existing windows which if properly fitted will give an even better sound reduction.

My doors and windows, though not specifically designed to reduce sound, give me over 20dB reduction and they are quite big.

You are right and I studied this many months on the Internet. I was so desperate that I tried very hard to find a fix. Now I have very special windows already - no standard windows. Very deep frequencies are still a problem. And the other limitation is the thickness of the wall and so the space I can use for windows. Balcony doors are another problem especially if you don't have the space to put several doors in a row. But I am getting tired. Sometimes when they have a special party even the floor vibrates. So I am not sure if it makes sense to continue with windows and balcony doors or with anything else in respect of construction. 

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

You are right and I studied this many months on the Internet. I was so desperate that I tried very hard to find a fix. Now I have very special windows already - no standard windows. Very deep frequencies are still a problem. And the other limitation is the thickness of the wall and so the space I can use for windows. Balcony doors are another problem especially if you don't have the space to put several doors in a row. But I am getting tired. Sometimes when they have a special party even the floor vibrates. So I am not sure if it makes sense to continue with windows and balcony doors or with anything else in respect of construction. 

As you have the floor vibrating there may we'll be very little that makes financial sense that you can do. I would be very interested to know a bit more detail about your windows and the glazing that is in them. 

FWIW there are sound measuring programs available for smart phones that, while not accurate, will give you an excellent idea of the volume reduction you get when closing the windows.

Trying to block it is a waste of money. There is only one solution to these types of situations and it may not even work in this case; but that solution is to give the owner a taste of his own medicine. Everyone has to sleep somewhere. ????

Edited by XBroker

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often did you do that already?

How often were you successful?

And how often did someone, obviously in polite words, tell you to mind your own business or else?

Personally I heard enough stories to know sometimes it is just better to shut up.

I've done it more than once and been successful more than once. And I have helped other people do it too.

No one has ever told me to mind my own business because it was my business (or at least the business of the people I was helping).

But I never made the mistake of talking to the people making the noise. I just complained to the people whose job it is to stop it. All of them were helpful and receptive and in the end it paid off. YMMV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reargunnerph3 said:

I have a friend in Pattaya who complained about loud music and was very insistent, he has a lovely scar on his head to prove it. He didn't get what he wanted but learned a valuable lesson. Never, ever be insistent with drunk Thai men or women.

Your friend is a prat. You would have to be a complete idiot to actually talk to the offending party, even more so if they are drunk. Just complain to the proper authorities. I can assure you that said authorities are polite and never hit anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

You can stop it but it means spending money, you can line your whole apartment internally with Rockwool slab and create a room within a room. It's very dense and it's the kind of thing recording studios do but you will also have to have  new internal windows built for sound separation, it would be cheaper to buy a new condo.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

wow that's impressive, every 3db means half intensity so that's volume halved 5 times, although the 10db rule works and it means in real terms the noise has been halved twice - nice. Every 3db's is noise energy doubled or halved.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, Beggar said:

For me the situation is really bad. If I can't solve this problem I will move out. If you can't sleep, watch TV or even talk to other persons in your condo anymore then this situation is unbearable. And it is very bad that anybody with a speaker can destroy your investment without any consequences. 

Just one more reason why I rent in Thailand.