Taxi Driver Slain Just 100 Metres Away From Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Taxi driver slain just 100 metres away from Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- A taxi driver was found killed on the Bang Na-Trat highway just 100 metres before the Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday morning, police said.

Police said Somwang Puensomboon, 54, had his throat slit and died behind the wheel.

Passers-by alerted police of the death at 6:30 am.

His wallet was emptied.

--The Nation 2007-03-07

think it was probably the same person that cut his throat that emptied the wallet

I suspect you forgot, or never were infomed, about the looting of bodies after the Lauda plane crash.

Yeah, but don't you think you are jumping the gun too soon? I would love to jump too, but I suspect that is gonna cause a big hoo haa with all the other posters jumping in too. :o

No-one seems to be safe in LOS these days. :o

You feeling any safer in Malaysia Astral (Malaysia right?).? Getting pretty weird there too isn't it? First they have vigilantes running after migrant workers..and hading them into police for a 'reward', then what? Farangs who's moniker's begin with "A"?

Yikes!

No-one seems to be safe in LOS these days. :o

Or anywhere else for that matter. The world seems to becoming more violent, and I think less tolerant, everywhere.

Nah.

I think the world was always less tolerant. It's just that now, it's easly reported.

think it was probably the same person that cut his throat that emptied the wallet

I suspect you forgot, or never were infomed, about the looting of bodies after the Lauda plane crash.

what have the looting of bodies in the lauda plane crash got to do with someone getting their throat cut?

Why do you think he got his throat cut in the first place? Bad choice of radio station? Offensive body odour?

No-one seems to be safe in LOS these days. :D

Or anywhere else for that matter. The world seems to becoming more violent, and I think less tolerant, everywhere.

Nah.

I think the world was always less tolerant. It's just that now, it's easly reported.

You are are correct, its always been with us ( and on sometimes much worse ) except now we dont have to wait 3 months for the Clipper to bring the news, :o

Poor man, I would take issue with Bangna trat being 100 metres from the airport though. I wonder if the reason will ever be found out. We had a similar thing in our soi about 5 months ago - no witnesses no police report

RIP Mr taxi driver

Taxi Mafia teaching somone a lesson.

The transportating industry is controlled by thugs.

Nops, the usual case of a taxi driver being held up.

In cases such as this the taxi driver might have not came up straight away with his money, and was killed. This happens regularly here. Areas such as Bang Na and the adjoining Samut Prakan are infamous for this, and many taxi drivers refuse to take youths in or out of those areas at night, and especially in the Sois the there.

Very sad and my condolences to the family and friends. I am not overly fond of taxi drivers, although I've had very good luck with them and usually find them helpful--although sometimes a bit too friendly.

I have some questions though. First, how does this set up occur. Since this sounds like it is a ways from anywhere, how does the murderer/robber get out the place? Is there another vehicle following?

Wow, I hope he doesn't catch another taxi! The airport would be a poor location to go to, since there are a lot of cameras that could potentially identify him.

Very sad and my condolences to the family and friends. I am not overly fond of taxi drivers, although I've had very good luck with them and usually find them helpful--although sometimes a bit too friendly.

I have some questions though. First, how does this set up occur. Since this sounds like it is a ways from anywhere, how does the murderer/robber get out the place? Is there another vehicle following?

Wow, I hope he doesn't catch another taxi! The airport would be a poor location to go to, since there are a lot of cameras that could potentially identify him.

Most of the time taxi drivers are just robbed and not murdered. Often then the taxi is taken as well as a get away car, and then dumped.

The usual set up is one or several thiefs flag the taxi down, take it to a lonely spot, hold the knife at the throat, or a gun, get the money, and take off. It's almost impossible to catch them as these areas in the suburbs are full of transients living in the many slums and cheap apartment complexes. These areas are full of youth gangs and drugs, nightly shoot outs and knife fights between gangs.

This is a Thailand that is very contrary to the official promotion of the "LOS", nevertheless - it does exist.

I travel through bangkok quite a bit , and have always noticed the line of taxi's or even civilian cars waiting on the side of the highway anywhere from 50meters to 1/2 a mile, because they don't want to pay the parking/holding fee in front of the pick up. Bad airport policy if you ask me, Don Muang never had these problems.

Taxi driver slain just 100 metres away from Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- A taxi driver was found killed on the Bang Na-Trat highway just 100 metres before the Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday morning, police said.

Police said Somwang Puensomboon, 54, had his throat slit and died behind the wheel.

Passers-by alerted police of the death at 6:30 am.

His wallet was emptied.

--The Nation 2007-03-07

Quite an reason to kill a taxi driver who works for his money, a taxi driver's wallet is always empty.

Yeah, but don't you think you are jumping the gun too soon? I would love to jump too, but I suspect that is gonna cause a big hoo haa with all the other posters jumping in too. :o

And don't forget the looting of bodies after the Tsunami