UK Settlement Visa - Sending Supporting Docs.

Would appreciate some guidance : /

Ive just completed the online application for my Thai wifes settlement visa to the UK.

I know there are many threads / posts stating the supporting docs need to be sent to Sheffield, however vfsglobal are making things a little unclear. 

VFS state all supporting docs need to be submitted at the biometrics appointment, and that the sponsor can submit supporting docs in the UK for a fee of £75. 

They have a massive range of chargeable scanning and support services at the biometric appointments for helping in submitting supporting documents.

I also received a contradictory email stating - 

Next Steps–- You must now take your printed application, appointment confirmation, supporting documents and the appropriate fee (unless already paid online) to the address shown below on the date and time of your appointment.

VFS Bangkok Visa Application Centre
Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Road Soi 13,
Klongtoey Nua, Wattana,
Bangkok

Settlement (Family Migration) Applications - International Operations and Visas, 6 Millsands, Vulcan House, Sheffield, United Kingdom, S3 8NU

So should my documents got to Bangkok or Sheffield as all advise on this forum ? 

Why cant they just be explicit in their instructions ?? Pain the f@*k!!n bellend.

Seriously, how hard is it for them write a paragraph explaining the process ???

I went last week so I can advise you of my experience.

The only documents we took were:

1.applicants passport and copy of the passport.

2.appointment confirmation

3.printed application

We also took the TB certificate but it was not asked for or looked at.

You are given an option to scan and send all the other supporting documents at the appointment but you do not have to. All our supporting documents were mailed by me to Sheffield.

As with the whole process the information you are given is confused and overcomplicated. It's a painful process.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, darren1971 said:

I went last week so I can advise you of my experience.

The only documents we took were:

1.applicants passport and copy of the passport.

2.appointment confirmation

3.printed application

We also took the TB certificate but it was not asked for or looked at.

You are given an option to scan and send all the other supporting documents at the appointment but you do not have to. All our supporting documents were mailed by me to Sheffield.

As with the whole process the information you are given is confused and overcomplicated. It's a painful process.

Thank you very much Darren, much appreciated.

Ive moved the appt to 2 weeks times and will goto the biometrics appt at Trendy with the Mrs; and submit everything there for scanning.

Fingers crossed.

Sincerely hope your application goes well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, David Cross said:

The Pre - Settlement and Settlement visas are for EU citizens only so I presume you are an EU member. The new streamlined application system started about 2 months ago and is being tested as a Beta phase first. It is much simpler than the old manual one and not as strict. So far the average turnaround time is 7 days for results.

If you are not in the test group then you have to wait until it comes online on 29 March 2019. HO further said that EU citizens and their family members do not need to do anything yet as you have until 30 June 2021 if Brexit deal is approved or 30 December 2020 if not.

The good news is that HO staff have been instructed to look for reasons to grant status rather than look for reasons to deny. Also, should you have made a mistake on the application then they will point it out to give you the opportunity to correct it rather than just stamp the application as “Invalid”.

You don't the UK home office is like the Secret Service.

You have to be patient and wait for an email telling you that your application has been successful.

Pointless calling them you will get a generic answer also it will cost you money. You can go on their web site and hunt for UK Visa processing times to give you an idea on how long it will take.

Thanks David, yes, I rang the chargeable number yesterday and was advised the process has now changed.

I have a feeling they (VFS) make things clear as mud so that they can force us to pay for the many many extra services they provide.

I do hope HO aid us in the process as you say, rather than flat out deny us the visa. 

13 minutes ago, cube789 said:

Thanks David, yes, I rang the chargeable number yesterday and was advised the process has now changed.

I have a feeling they (VFS) make things clear as mud so that they can force us to pay for the many many extra services they provide.

I do hope HO aid us in the process as you say, rather than flat out deny us the visa. 

I have also received an email suggesting the process has changed... So i'm not confident I have done things correct. Here is the email I just received last night

If you are applying for a settlement visa, below options are available for submission of supporting documents: 

If you applied on Visa4uK

1. You can opt for Document Scanning Assistance Service at the Visa Application Centre without an additional charge 

2. Your sponsor or an agent can submit supporting documents in the UK in person for a fee of £75 per application payable in cash or with a debit card. All supporting documents can be submitted in person by your sponsor or an agent at any of the following locations in the UK. This is a walk-in service and documents cannot be received by courier.

1. London: VF Services (UK) LTD, 66 Wilson Street, London, EC2A 2BT. Working Hours: 09:00 - 16:00
2. Birmingham: VF Services (UK), LTD 5 -14 South Road, Smethwick, Birmingham, B67 7BN. Working Hours: 09:00 - 16:00 
3. Belfast: VF Services (UK) LTD, Merrion Business Centre, First Floor 58, Howard Street, Belfast, BT1 6PJ. Working Hours: 09:00 – 14:00 
4. Leicester: VF Services (UK) LTD, C/O Peepul's Centre, Orchardson Avenue, Leicester, L E4 6DP. Working Hours: 09:00 - 16:00 
5. Cardiff: VF Services (UK) LTD, Temple Court – 13A Cathedral Road, Cardiff CF11 9H. Working Hours: 09:00 - 14:00 
6. Manchester: VF Services (UK) LTD, 50 Devonshire Street North, Manchester, M12 6JH, Working Hours: 09:00 - 16:00 
7. Edinburgh: VF Services (UK) LTD, 1 Rennie’s Isle, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6QT. Working Hours: 09:00 - 16:00 
8. Liverpool: VF Services (UK) LTD, SUITE NO 207, Second Floor, Graeme House, Derby Square, Liverpool, L2 7ZH. Working Hours: 09:00 - 14:00 
9. Bradford: VF Services (UK) LTD, Skipton Chamber 16-18 North Parade, Bradford, BD13HT. Working Hours: 09:00 - 14:00

Your sponsor should bring a copy of your passport, along with your document checklist if you have applied via Access UK, or the first page of your visa application form if you have applied via visa4uk. Your sponsor should also provide all supporting documents; these will be scanned and handed back at the time of their visit. 

Your sponsor should also provide clear and legible photocopy of all supporting documents, these will be scanned and handed back at the time of their visit. All photocopies should be A4 size. Any documents which are smaller or larger than A4 size be photocopied onto A4 sized paper. Torn, crumpled or heavily creased documents cannot be scanned and therefore should be photocopied onto A4 sized paper before they are submitted. Documents should not be laminated.

11 minutes ago, cube789 said:

^^ I was told this same thing on the phone to them yesterday. It changed late March of this year. 

Did you apply through visa4uk ? 

I did, it appears to have changed whilst I was in Thailand getting married (March 28th). At VFS in Bangkok I was told to send my documents to Sheffield so that is what I did. Where this leaves me now I don't know, I presume Sheffield will return my documents (hopefully in time to go and scan them) or my application will be refused and the £2300 I have paid will be lost.

Maybe, just maybe they will allow a transitional period and allow my documents to go through the old system

Edited by darren1971

1 minute ago, darren1971 said:

... and the £2300 I have paid will be lost.

Didn't realise it had reached that amount.  Jeez.  Is that really the bog standard settlement visa fee now allowing for dodgy f/x rates et al?

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

Didn't realise it had reached that amount.  Jeez.  Is that really the bog standard settlement visa fee now allowing for dodgy f/x rates et al?

Visa was £1600 and £650 for priority (decision in 6 weeks)

£1200 for the IHS which will be refunded if the application is refused.

49 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

I did, it appears to have changed whilst I was in Thailand getting married (March 28th). At VFS in Bangkok I was told to send my documents to Sheffield so that is what I did. Where this leaves me now I don't know, I presume Sheffield will return my documents (hopefully in time to go and scan them) or my application will be refused and the £2300 I have paid will be lost.

Maybe, just maybe they will allow a transitional period and allow my documents to go through the old system

Im still not 100% on this. 

I have a feeling that you have done the right thing in sending the documents to Sheffield as this is what you were told to do at the biometrics appointment.

I will be very agitated if I turn up at the Trendy office and am told to send my documents to Sheffield ????????????

40 minutes ago, cube789 said:

Im still not 100% on this. 

I have a feeling that you have done the right thing in sending the documents to Sheffield as this is what you were told to do at the biometrics appointment.

I will be very agitated if I turn up at the Trendy office and am told to send my documents to Sheffield ????????????

I called the helpline again and got a more helpful response this time. I was told 100% that documents can no longer be sent to Sheffield. From the UK supporting document need to be taken to one of the scanning centres and scanned at a cost of £75 !!!... He took our details and said he would contact Sheffield and try to get my documents back.

Unfortunately, it appears the staff at VFS in Bangkok have not been informed and are therefore giving out the wrong advice

Thanks Darren.

Man I hope they keep their word and get your documents back to you quickly. Or at least grant you an extension until they do arrive back.

What an ill prepared mess of a change in procedure. I think there will be much fallout from this.

9 minutes ago, cube789 said:

Thanks Darren.

Man I hope they keep their word and get your documents back to you quickly. Or at least grant you an extension until they do arrive back.

What an ill prepared mess of a change in procedure. I think there will be much fallout from this.

worst-case scenario we will lose a lot of money and have to start again, they should have really made this change very clear as the applicant will have been preparing from before the change took place. Pretty terrible how the Government are failing their citizens

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 16.03.40.png

44 minutes ago, rasg said:

That is for in-country applications, I am talking about applications from Thailand. For out of uk applications you can not book an appointment to scan your documents you just turn up and wait

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/pk/en/news/new-address-for-documentation-when-applying-for-a-uk-settlement-visa

Edited by darren1971
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

The application system was changed on Friday 29th March. Unfortunately VFS didn't tell anyone. Up until that date documents could be sent to Sheffield. From that date the PO Box in Sheffield was closed, and no documents en route to Sheffield were accepted by UKVI. I am aware of four applications that were not accepted at UKVI Sheffield, and were either sent back to the applicant or on to the sponsor in the UK. I believe that VFS then hoped that the sponsor would use the newly introduced pay service in UK to scan the documents at a cost of 75 GBP. 

The alternative to being forced to use the VFS 75 GBP service was, and now is, to either upload the documents yourself (either the applicant or sponsor, or whoever), and then make an appointment to give biometrics. Or, make the appointment to give biometrics and, at the same time, purchase the VFS document scanning service, and VFS will scan your documents when you attend to give biometrics. By pure coincidence, VFS raised the cost of the scanning service from 150 THB to 460 THB on that same day. From experience the self-uploading system that VFS has in place at the moment is rubbish, very slow, and possibly deliberately so in order to get applicants to pay up for the VFS scanning service.

VFS are aware that they messed this whole new process up, and if you approach them direct, they may well try to assist in getting your application submitted as quickly, and as efficiently as they can.   

12 hours ago, rasg said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, do it yourself and it's free.

RASG as mentioned before you are posting incorrect information

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

RASG as mentioned before you are posting incorrect information

VFS informed me that they are currently (or until recently) scanning settlement applications at no charge, but visit application scanning is 460 THB.

Yes, you can do it yourself, but the system is not good. It is slow, and there is a limit on the size of files that you can upload. Large pdf files sometimes have to be reduced to smaller files to be uploaded. Again, VFS seem to be steering applicants towards paying for their scanning services.

5 minutes ago, Tony M said:

VFS informed me that they are currently (or until recently) scanning settlement applications at no charge, but visit application scanning is 460 THB.

Yes, you can do it yourself, but the system is not good. It is slow, and there is a limit on the size of files that you can upload. Large pdf files sometimes have to be reduced to smaller files to be uploaded. Again, VFS seem to be steering applicants towards paying for their scanning services.

Thank you for that. There is a limit of 6 MB on file sizes to UKVCAS. Probably something similar for VFS. A few of my files were quite a bit bigger. I have a very old version of Adobe Acrobat which would have done the job but downloaded a 7 day trial of the latest version from the Adobe website and optimised the file sizes in the app. It's not difficult.  

46 minutes ago, rasg said:

Thank you for that. There is a limit of 6 MB on file sizes to UKVCAS. Probably something similar for VFS. A few of my files were quite a bit bigger. I have a very old version of Adobe Acrobat which would have done the job but downloaded a 7 day trial of the latest version from the Adobe website and optimised the file sizes in the app. It's not difficult.  

Not difficult for you maybe, but these systems are not aimed at you specifically. It's a global system, and I guess that some people, old, living in remote areas, poor internet connection, no wifi, etc, etc, might not see "it's free" and "it's not difficult" as the answer to their problems. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tony M said:

The biggest issues with VFS is they are still telling applicants to send supporting documents to Sheffield

5 hours ago, darren1971 said:

The biggest issues with VFS is they are still telling applicants to send supporting documents to Sheffield

Even now after the new procedures came into force on the 29 April?

On 5/4/2019 at 4:16 AM, theoldgit said:

Even now after the new procedures came into force on the 29 April?

We were at VFS on 24th April, nearly a month after the change. Usually spouses are not allowed into the main application room but they asked my wife if we wanted to pay for priority, she was unsure so asked if she could get me. I went in and paid £650 for priority and was then asked again about scanning documents. I explained that I was waiting for my last bank statement so had to submit supporting documents on my return to the UK. The lady at the desk asked if I knew the address to which I replied 'yes, Sheffield but can you confirm the correct address'. She gave me the address and told me to make sure it arrived within the time limits.

I have contacted VFS to complain but have not received an answer yet.

In all fairness, considering how long people are planning their applications these changes need to be highlighted and staff informed to warn applicants of the changes. Looking on other forums it appears lots of applicants have been caught out.