Installing a Satellite dish with receiver

I want to help my parents in law to be able to watch TV in a small village. Unfortunately, did all disappear including the antenna, the receiver I gave them and other stuff. Then the TV didn't work anymore and that goes on and on and on. 

I've just picked up the fixed TV, a new Satellite dish with a receiver, a 14-meter coaxial cable, plus the right adaptors to connect them at TV and pick up. 

I've got a nice tool that I was using when I'd installed my dish in Europe many years ago. I only need to turn the dish as much as I've got the best signal.

I still have no idea where to place the dish at, there are basically no houses nearby where I could get an idea on how to get the best signal. As the TV doesn't have an HDMI connection, I'll have to run three wires as I'd connect a DVD player, right?

I've attached a photo of the "Sat Finder" to check for the best signal, plus a photo of the HD digital receiver. 

Here are my questions:

1. Would the pathfinder/ SAT Finder still work for digital, I've got no idea if there's a difference?

2. Yellow is for the picture, so I'll have to connect three wires to have stereo sound from the receiver to TV, or is there an adapter where I could run to the TV's coaxial connection? But that doesn't make much sense. Or should I run an HDMI to ordinary coaxial cable, if such a connection exists? 

3. What's the best way to find on which side of the house I'll have to attach the whole satellite dish, it's a bit heavy and I'll need some good support. 

Any tips are deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot. 

Sat Finder.jpg

Sat receive rback.jpg

sat receiver.jpg

Your sat-finder will work as a signal strength meter. Fine tuning can be done at the SAT box.

The easiest way to find location for your dish is to use phone GPS and a sat finder app. You will tell the app you want to use Thaicom satellites and it will tell you direction your dish will point (azimuth) using GPS compass along with values for elevation and scew of the LNB.

Example app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.satellitefinder.dishpointereazy&hl=en

Do you have a smartphone with GPS function?

Would be useful to install a GPS Test/compass program to find the rough position of the satellite.

I use "GPS Test" of "Chartcross Limited" (free).

Where are the satellites?

You can use this site to check:

https://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5586

(use "Big Map Mode")

Roughly the satellites are at 230° (south west).

Elevation about 58°. Steeper than in Europe of course.

Exact data with the site mentioned above.

Click on your location and see the data in the box at the upper right,

As far as I know a satfinder should still work for digital.

Do you have a "big" mesh antenna for C-band (1.20m or more) or a small Ku-band antenna (about 0.8m)?

Example for a location Phitsanulok, 233.3°, elevation 58.6°.

thaicom.jpg

49 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Your sat-finder will work as a signal strength meter. Fine tuning can be done at the SAT box.

The easiest way to find location for your dish is to use phone GPS and a sat finder app. You will tell the app you want to use Thaicom satellites and it will tell you direction your dish will point (azimuth) using GPS compass along with values for elevation and scew of the LNB.

Example app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.satellitefinder.dishpointereazy&hl=en

I'd like to thank you very much times have changed. It was so easy installing mine at my former home. Deeply appreciated, thanks!!!

54 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Would be useful to install a GPS Test/compass program to find the rough position of the satellite.

(use "Big Map Mode")

Do you have a "big" mesh antenna for C-band (1.20m or more) or a small Ku-band antenna (about 0.8m)?

thaicom.jpg

Thanks, a lot!! Just tried with my "supersmart phone" but gotta wait for my wife, she's got more memory on her newer phone, mine needs too long to do anything. I can't tell you how much you've helped me with your post, thank you very much! Khop Khun Maak Maak!!

P.S. It was already many years ago when I wanted to install the analog receiver that I'd brought to Thailand, just to find out that they were already fully digital. But I hope that the Pathfinder will still work, it's basically just the strength of a signal what I'm looking for. 

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

(use "Big Map Mode")

thaicom.jpg

Sorry, forgot to answer one question that might be very important. I've bought a PSI dish with one LNB, must be 80 cm. Please see the photo of LNB And a receiver is shown on the photo above. 

LNB.jpg

If I don't get this working, I've wasted weeks of my life and a good amount of money for nothing. Picking up two dead TV's to get them fixed, brought them back including a receiver. Then all disappeared and the TV's didn't work, seems that the mechanic had screwed me over.

Now I had to pick both TV's up again, no more antenna available, bought that dish and hope for the best. Not just a waste of time, money and Diesel oil. 

Archived