Buying a Samsung phone in USA and bringing it back to Thailand

I will be vacationing in USA soon and plan to buy a new Samsung cell phone  and bring it back to Thailand as it would be much cheaper. Can I just buy the phone in the USA without committing to a local carrier like Verizon. What about the Sim card. And when I bring the phone to Thailand do I just go to AIS, get a sim card and  a phone number. Can I use my exiting cell phone number or would I have to get a new one. Any differences in charger usage  and voltages. I normally only use my cell phone in Thailand to make telephone calls, text messages and take photographs. (I use AIS 1/2 call). I don't use the internet/social media unless there is free wi-fi. My computer at home is good enough for that. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a phone for the GSM specs network (AT&T, T-Mobile). I believe Verison uses CDMA specs network (Verison, Sprint, US Cellular) and a phone bought from them would not be compatible unless it has dual network compatibility and only if it is unlocked. You can buy an unlocked Samsung phone bought online from Wal-Mart, Target, Newegg, Frys and many others.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:41 AM, khaepmu said:

I don't use the internet

Then frequency support is a non-issue.

Do you plan to use the phone in the U.S. during your trip? Do you live in Thailand?

You will likely not have local warranty service/support, once you return to Thailand.

The phone must be unlocked.

What sort of model/price range are you looking at? The cost savings may not be significant, especially at the low end. Heck, the phone might be cheaper here? And a phone purchased here would work in the U.S., on some networks. Jaymart has some mid-range Samsungs on sale now for up to 40% off.

https://www.jaymartstore.com/Category/604-Samsung

Pretty easy to compare pricing, Best Buy or Amazon are handy, as is Lazada. Thai published prices (Lazada) often include VAT, U.S. published prices may not include State and local sales tax.

I compared a few Samsung models, quickly, and think prices may be lower here, again in the mid-range.

Do not buy a phone from a service provider. I wouldn't buy a second-hand phone, certainly not a carrier-branded variant.

You could get a new AIS SIM/number, or use your old SIM/number.

Edited by mtls2005

No voltage/charging issues, Thai and U.S. (as do most) AC adapters support 100-240/50-60. In some cases, there may a difference in the physical plug, but any such difference is addressed with a 50-baht plug adapter.

Do you have a phone here, now? Make and model?

Why the need for a new one? Or are just under the impression that it might less expensive in the U.S., and thus a good time to purchase?