Marriage visa extensions and/or residency in Pattaya. Please share your experiences

Last year I tried to get NON- O based on marriage extended for the first time in the Jomtien office.

Extension was refused but I read some comments that it is notoriously difficult at Jomtien office and some people have actually moved to other provinces because of it.

I am thinking of buying a condo in Chonburi or Rayong and want to get 3 extensions together to perhaps apply for residency in future.

If it is that difficult to get extensions (or residency) at the Jomtien office then I would perhaps look to buy in another nearby jurisdiction.

Would be helpful to hear other peoples experiences doing the extensions/residency at Jomtien office.

Last year I tried to get NON- O based on marriage extended for the first time in the Jomtien office.
Extension was refused but I read some comments that it is notoriously difficult at Jomtien office and some people have actually moved to other provinces because of it.
I am thinking of buying a condo in Chonburi or Rayong and want to get 3 extensions together to perhaps apply for residency in future.
If it is that difficult to get extensions (or residency) at the Jomtien office then I would perhaps look to buy in another nearby jurisdiction.
Would be helpful to hear other peoples experiences doing the extensions/residency at Jomtien office.
Why was it refused?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

Why was it refused?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's been awhile but it was something like she needed more documents like passport and tabian bahn of the japanese landlord we rent from. We brought them to her about an hour later. From memory I think her issue was because the tabian bahn was in his companies name. It was something like that

• Like 1

OK, firstly I can't be objective about what happens in Jomtien.   However, in my very recent experience of doing  a marriage extension elsewhere, it's pretty straight forward as long as you have the copies of the required documentation (none of which is a problem if legally married) and M'Sahib is there to provide originals of whatever.   In fact, it's a lot less hassle than the current Retirement Extension.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pagallim said:

OK, firstly I can't be objective about what happens in Jomtien.   However, in my very recent experience of doing  a marriage extension elsewhere, it's pretty straight forward as long as you have the copies of the required documentation (none of which is a problem if legally married) and M'Sahib is there to provide originals of whatever.   In fact, it's a lot less hassle than the current Retirement Extension.

Jomtien is pretty straight forward using ubonjoe's printed requirements, if you are using money in the bank method you need a letter from the bank stating the correct amount is in the bank, the letter must not be more than 2 days old or will be rejected, no witness required, but will be needed for home interview as they call it, for checking and photos which they will take with their own camera etc. virtuall the same photos you take to the their office in the first place, crazy or what!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Next they will require you to juggle three bowling pins while balancing a stack to pie tins on your head as you jump up and down on a Pogo Stick while singing all the words of Chaat Thai.  Any failure to accomplish that task will be rewarded by refusing your extension.  :dry:

Sounds easier than all the paperwork. :welcomeani:

On 5/3/2019 at 7:53 PM, johng said:

3 immigration police came to interview  us and witness at home   witness papers required id and house book x 2  signed by them

4 came to interview us from Trat 2 cars 2 pleasant females 1 grumpy obese male 1 drunk male, 11 am. the photo in the bedroom,told to sit on the bed with our arms around each other (3 cameras ) this was last aug and two weeks after i had made my RETIREMENT extension ! :crazy:

On 5/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, sikishrory said:

I am thinking of buying a condo in Chonburi or Rayong

I would definitely advise against buying a condo in Rayong if you're primarily after a reasonably smooth passage at marriage extension of stay time. The process is a right PITA at the local immigration office there, with witnesses and home visits being the strict order of the day for not only an initial extension application but also for all subsequent applications. They also insist on bank passbooks, statements and letters being updated or obtained on the day when an application is submitted.

Looks like the marriage extension of stay process is a walk in the park at Jomtien by comparison!

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

The process is a right PITA at the local immigration office there,

Yes I have heard the same, someone I know having to march the wife and kids in and out of there a few times!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

Looks about the same PITA to me.

Yep, on reflection you’re probably right. I gather that marriage extension applications submitted at both Jomtien and Maptaput are referred to Bangkok for final approval during the “under consideration” period. I wonder, therefore, whether we might be talking about a general divisional HQ issue here? If so, the marriage extension process is presumably also a PITA at other offices in the Central region such as Si Racha. Maybe the OP needs to buy a condo elsewhere in Thailand if his main concern is with a (relatively) smooth passage at marriage extension of stay time??

• Like 1

Thanks for all the posts. That is handy to know that Rayong is worse if anything.

For above post. I agree it is all a pain in the ass but I try to look at it from different perspectives for my own sanity...

My wife applying for a visa in oz is probably gonna be a pain also.

The other thing is if it were much easier every farang and his dog would be living here. It seems like anyone who comes for a couple weeks wants to live here. Without regulation the place would be over run.

They really could streamline lots of the immigration processes though and ease the pressure on the offices a lot... But nope

• Like 1