Mike's Baaack....

gettalife

I ate Spaghetti Carbonara at a "so called" Italian restaurant in Bann Tawai..it was the WORST Italian food I have ever tasted..the name eludes me...and I wont be remembering it though

Would that the be Georgios or Mr. Chan and Miss Paulines? :o

Definatley NOT Georgio's UG

I dont know about the other names, but I could only see yhai staff doing the cooking, not a farang (or customer) in sight

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of fast food - does anyone know where to get a decent Turkish style kebab in town? Alan on Kotchisarn road (east moat) used to do pretty decent chicken ones in a good pitta but he's gone. Any recommendations?

BTW, Northern Farms 150gm American Beef burgers come highly rated - Mmmmmm :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

A friend of mine owns Red Door Bar, and he cooks the BEST kebabs (And Im not just saying that because he's a mate!). I can give directions to it if you have transport... Its basically from the city upto the MaeJo Rimping crossroads, turn right onto that ring road. Go under the first underpass, then its on your left shortly after that.

His names Michael, and he does THE BEST Kebabs in Chiang Mai IMHO. He cooked up a feast of donar kebabs, turkish kebabs, loads of starters and stuff for myself and some friends last week. This guy is an incredible cook.

Anyway, he likes to know in advance if people are after a kebab feast, So his name is Michael, and his number is 0810210097.

Cheers

Phil

Talking of fast food - does anyone know where to get a decent Turkish style kebab in town? Alan on Kotchisarn road (east moat) used to do pretty decent chicken ones in a good pitta but he's gone. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

A friend of mine owns Red Door Bar, and he cooks the BEST kebabs (And Im not just saying that because he's a mate!). I can give directions to it if you have transport... Its basically from the city upto the MaeJo Rimping crossroads, turn right onto that ring road. Go under the first underpass, then its on your left shortly after that.

His names Michael, and he does THE BEST Kebabs in Chiang Mai IMHO. He cooked up a feast of donar kebabs, turkish kebabs, loads of starters and stuff for myself and some friends last week. This guy is an incredible cook.

Anyway, he likes to know in advance if people are after a kebab feast, So his name is Michael, and his number is 0810210097.

Cheers

Phil

Stupid me! I didn't read your post fully! The guy who owns the Red door, used to own the kebab shop to which you refer! He's good!!

Cheers

I ate Spaghetti Carbonara at a "so called" Italian restaurant in Bann Tawai..it was the WORST Italian food I have ever tasted..the name eludes me...and I wont be remembering it though

I dont know about the other names, but I could only see yhai staff doing the cooking, not a farang (or customer) in sight

Hey thai visa-ites. Just who do think does all the cooking in the western restaurants here? liitle fat european chefs? no! they may train them their way then they're(the thais) off and running and the owner keeps an eye on them-if he's smart. Some of the idiot comments on this site amaze me. Getta clue card!

Hey thai visa-ites. Just who do think does all the cooking in the western restaurants here? liitle fat european chefs? no! they may train them their way then they're(the thais) off and running and the owner keeps an eye on them-if he's smart. Some of the idiot comments on this site amaze me. Getta clue card!

Well said Mike (i mean gettalife)

Your (i mean his) place used to be 'Party Hat' chai mai

They'll need to be - it'll take half a tank of fuel to do that round trip!
he did the the new IN-N-OUT BURGER/HOTSUBS in ban tawai for the PEOPLE WHO LIVE THERE! i really don't think he expects people to drive from chiang mai when u can get a great burger at the place he founded in the center of chiang mai! daaah!

Well, since the vast majority of his customers before were walk-bys and tourists he'll be pushing to have the same success out there.

Oh, and thanks for you intelligent response :o

Of course they are Thai cooks, you wally, no alien is going to get a work permit to work in a second rate hot dog/burger bar. Do you think it's possible to turn your sound down a little! :o

BTW, Northern Farms 150gm American Beef burgers come highly rated - Mmmmmm :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

Cheers

Phil

Stupid me! I didn't read your post fully! The guy who owns the Red door, used to own the kebab shop to which you refer! He's good!!

Cheers

Phil,

The guy that used to be on Kotchisarn was an Iranian guy called Alan. You said your mate's name is Michael - maybe Alan changed his name as well as his location to ensure success? :o

Driven past the Red Door loads of times but never stopped. Will do so soon so thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Just came back from dinner there.. Good burgers.. open from 11am to 11pm.... Mike says that he will be adding a breakfast sandwich ... egg and something like jimmy dean sausage... plus adding hash browns and coffee... and we have breakfast ...

Did a little reconnaissance work this afternoon. In-n-Out restaurant is located 500 meters north of Kad Farang on opposite side of CM-HD road.

Did you also recon the taste of the food by chance? :o

No, I didn't stop. I don't usually eat farang food by choice. It's a safety net when the gf's out of town or the maid is gone. Nice to know it's there and that I don't have to drive into the city, which i don't like much.

Mike says that he will be adding a breakfast sandwich ... egg and something like jimmy dean sausage... plus adding hash browns and coffee... and we have breakfast ...

Sounds GOOD. :D

What about your macrobionic diet UG ??? :o Don't worry mate, man cant live on lettuce and lentils alone..We are carnivores so must act accordingly..

Personally, I hardly ever eat them, but I can remember when most expats returned to Thailand from Vietnam or Cambodia, or someplace less civilized, they would always rush to McDonalds for a Big Mac.

When Chiang Mai didn't have one, one of the main topics of conversation was wishing that we did.

Edited by Ulysses G.

A candid question : What is so great with burgers ?
But adjan jb, perhaps you Frenchmen weren't raised on ground beef with tomoatoes, lettuce, catsup, pickles, etc., on a proper bun with sesame seeds. It's what we know. I remember, my senior year of high school, going to this new place that was unheard of, back then: you just go in, order as many burgers as you needed for 19 cents apiece, plus orders of fries, malted milk shakes, etc. Some A-frame glass building called McDougals's or MacDonahue, or McDenis. And there was no chef named Francois.

But adjan jb, perhaps you Frenchmen weren't raised on ground beef with tomoatoes, lettuce, catsup, pickles, etc., on a proper bun with sesame seeds.

Catch Up is not a French thing for sure.

I was also raised on ground beef, not on a bun but on a plate, with mashed potatoes and gravy or French (Belgian ?) fries and a home made mayonnaise.

Tomatoes, lettuce... My father and I used to grow these vegetables (and many more) in our (huge) kitchen garden. They were so delicious that decades later I'm still unable to eat canned vegetables.

Pickles ? We also used to grow gherkins... the best in the world.

My father, 80 years old, still prepare his own gherkins (white wine vinegar and salt. Nothing else. The secret is patience : they have to mature for at least a year)

Buns were/are not so popular in France (except for breakfast maybe). We do prefer real bread (rye bread in my region) which is, thanks to its shape, more convenient for a "normal" sandwich.

Traditionnal French sandwiches are usually filled with butter, dried/smoked/cooked ham, dried sausages or cheese.

Different countries, different customs... but same coronaries and heart attacks I guess.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

Cheers

Phil

You aren't talking about the Red Door Restaurant on the ring road behind Payap Univeristy are you? Surely must be a different place on the same road.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

Cheers

Phil

You aren't talking about the Red Door Restaurant on the ring road behind Payap Univeristy are you? Surely must be a different place on the same road.

Its the Red Door Restaurant next door to the Roadhouse bar on the ring road.

The Michael that owns it was in partnership with Alan at the Kebab place in town apparantly. (I've only known Michael since the Red Door, so can't verify what he says. :D )

Anyway, lovely tasty kebabs he cooked us. Fresh pitta's, garlic sauces, yoghurt sauces, different meats. Yummy :D

Cheers

Phil

oh thank you!

i am learning so much!

and you have been the tops in being helpful!

but where can i get a clue card??

they sound like they would be really handy to have!!

oh thank you!

i am learning so much!

and you have been the tops in being helpful!

but where can i get a clue card??

they sound like they would be really handy to have!!

Most probably GETTA is the manufacturer of the elusive "clue card" and he's giving one away free with every hamburger :o

Nice way to get new business.Suggest you get a clue getalife. :o