Pet / CT scan

lelapin

I am planning to have a Pet / CT scan at Chulabhorn Hospital and I am going there next week to arrange an appointment. I have all the documentation from my Dr from Christian hospital who is recommending it and wondered if I am likely to be hit with any surprise requests when I get there. I do not need the scan until mid July so hope that I will have no problem with making an appointment for then.

Anyone on Thai Visa who has had such a scan at that hospital and if so any tips or comments you have would be appreciated.

Yes; don't be pushed into having additional tests you may not need.  Hospitals here are primed to sell you as much as they can, including tests and medicines, whether you need them or not. Be wary is my advice and just have done what you believe that you need. Do good research before hand and know as much as you can about your medical needs.  If you can find a doctor that you trust, not an easy task in itself, you will be better placed to resist any additional expenditure you may be asked for.

Personally, I wouldn't trust many of this medical crowd in Thailand to look after my cat, let alone me. Actually, the vets do a better job on animals than many of the medicos here do on people.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Yes; don't be pushed into having additional tests you may not need.  Hospitals here are primed to sell you as much as they can, including tests and medicines, whether you need them or not. Be wary is my advice and just have done what you believe that you need. Do good research before hand and know as much as you can about your medical needs.  If you can find a doctor that you trust, not an easy task in itself, you will be better placed to resist any additional expenditure you may be asked for.

Personally, I wouldn't trust many of this medical crowd in Thailand to look after my cat, let alone me. Actually, the vets do a better job on animals than many of the medicos here do on people.  

Thanks but the Dr I have had at The Christian hospital is excellent and from several recent tests I have had, I clearly have a cancerous tumour which hopefully is reducing in size hence the need for the latest tests. 

3 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Thanks but the Dr I have had at The Christian hospital is excellent and from several recent tests I have had, I clearly have a cancerous tumour which hopefully is reducing in size hence the need for the latest tests. 

Then stick with him. My concern would not be the testing, so much as the treatment on offer after diagnosis. . There are a few posts on TV regarding good oncology services in Bangkok,  be worth trawling through those to get some background advice. All the very best to you and I hope that you get it sorted. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lelapin said:

my Dr from Christian hospital who is recommending it and wondered if I am likely to be hit with any surprise requests when I get there. I do not need the scan until mid July 

10 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I clearly have a cancerous tumour which hopefully is reducing in size

I have never had any "surprise requests" from different hospitals here.  You just fill out basic paperwork on your history and then you see the doctor.  

Yes, scans (CT/PET/MRI) taken months apart can show if size of a tumor is reduced or not, but you would need an initial scan to compare/confirm size change of course . 

Interesting the doctor from Bangkok Christian recommended you go to another hospital, as BCH does have several radiologists and a CT machine.  

Chulabhorn has a fine oncology department according to their website.  Good luck to you

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

I have never had any "surprise requests" from different hospitals here.  You just fill out basic paperwork on your history and then you see the doctor.  

Yes, scans (CT/PET/MRI) taken months apart can show if size of a tumor is reduced or not, but you would need an initial scan to compare/confirm size change of course . 

Interesting the doctor from Bangkok Christian recommended you go to another hospital, as BCH does have several radiologists and a CT machine.  

Chulabhorn has a fine oncology department according to their website.  Good luck to you

Bangkok Christian do not have a machine for PET scans. I recently had to have radiotherapy treatment and again the Dr had to send me to another hospital as they did not have the appropriate machine at Bangkok Christian

If your concerned about radiation you should be attending a hospital that has a new generation CT machine. Some of the older machines have much higher radiation levels. If you have to have a lot of CT scans coming then its worth considering this

Actually with the PET scan you have radiation inside your body as well as the CT scan of it.  Had done at Bangkok Hospital several years ago and the radiation exposure is justified if cancer is already known.  In his case appears targeted to known area - in mine was a search after a known cancer removal.  Cost is high, and expect that even true at government hospital due CT scanner but should be much less than I paid.  Hope all ends well - there is a lot that can be done against cancer these days.  

He is not getting a CT but rather a PET scan, only a handful of places in the entire country have that.

I doubt there will be any surprise requests if you have the request from BCH in hand. Performing PET scans for other hospitals is part of this hospital's  mandate.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

He is not getting a CT but rather a PET scan, only a handful of places in the entire country have that.

I doubt there will be any surprise requests if you have the request from BCH in hand. Performing PET scans for other hospitals is part of this hospital's  mandate.

Thanks for that reassurance. I am going there next Wednesday with all my paperwork from BCH

5 hours ago, lelapin said:

Thanks for that reassurance. I am going there next Wednesday with all my paperwork from BCH

You are doing the wrong thing if you bring paperwork about your cancer treatment at BCH along to Chulalongkorn. You are not going to Chula for a second opinion or for a continuation of the BCH treatment, but with all that paperwork you will give that confusing impression. 

Your visit to Chula is not to see an oncologist there or any other medical doctor. You will be attended to by a nurse and then handed over to a technician skilled in the use of the PET apparatus. Your BCH oncologist will be given a DVD with the scanned images or he may be given electronic access to them and he will know what to do with them and he may even let you have a look at them. 

Is this going to be your first PET scan?

8 hours ago, Puccini said:

You are doing the wrong thing if you bring paperwork about your cancer treatment at BCH along to Chulalongkorn. You are not going to Chula for a second opinion or for a continuation of the BCH treatment, but with all that paperwork you will give that confusing impression. 

Your visit to Chula is not to see an oncologist there or any other medical doctor. You will be attended to by a nurse and then handed over to a technician skilled in the use of the PET apparatus. Your BCH oncologist will be given a DVD with the scanned images or he may be given electronic access to them and he will know what to do with them and he may even let you have a look at them. 

Is this going to be your first PET scan?

Thanks for the advice. It is my 1st PET scan.

I have an appointment 22nd July with the Dr at BCH to discuss the results. In order for them to have enough time to send the results to him, when would you suggest I arrange my PET scan for.

He is not going to Chula. They do not have PET. He is going to Chulabhorn Hospital's National Cyclotron and PET Center. This is a sepatate facility which provides advanced high tech diagnostics for patients from all over the country. Going straight there (and not the main hospital) with referral in hand should be fine.

May have to register first for a hospital number but then do not go to OPD, go straight to the aforementioned Center.

As one of only a handful of hospitals in the entire country with a PET scan they receive this sort of thing often.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He is not going to Chula. They do not have PET. He is going to Chulabhorn Hospital's National Cyclotron and PET Center. This is a sepatate facility which provides advanced high tech diagnostics for patients from all over the country. Going straight there (and not the main hospital) with referral in hand should be fine.

May have to register first for a hospital number but then do not go to OPD, go straight to the aforementioned Center.

As one of only a handful of hospitals in the entire country with a PET scan they receive this sort of thing often.

Thanks for info Sheryl.

Do you think that making an appointment for the PET scan one week before my appointment at BCH would be OK

You mean making that the appointment date or the date you go to make the appointment?

I would go as soon as possible to make the appointment as there will be a wait list and no idea how long.

As to actual scan take the closest availanle to the date of your Doctor appt but make sure report and DVD will be ready in time as there might be a few days delay between scan and report. Also keep in mind it is a govt hospital so no work on weekends or holidays.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You mean making that the appointment date or the date you go to make the appointment?

I would go as soon as possible to make the appointment as there will be a wait list and no idea how long.

As to actual scan take the closest availanle to the date of your Doctor appt but make sure report and DVD will be ready in time as there might be a few days delay between scan and report. Also keep in mind it is a govt hospital so no work on weekends or holidays.

I am going next Wednesday to make the appointment. I was thinking of arranging the PET scan for 15th July with my meeting with Dr at BCH arranged for 22nd July.

11 minutes ago, banK said:

I had a PET scan done in March this year top of head to toe was 63,000 baht at the Bangkok Bangkok hospital.

banK

That is exactly the same price I paid in January 2017 at Bangkok Hospital (Wattanosoth) here in Bangkok.

A surgeon married to a radiologist explained to me that the bees-knees (DB!) is a pet-ct which may be you will be offered? In Chiang mai I am told there is only one machine (At Maharaj Hospital) and the cost is 60-70K.

I am no expert but I believe the advantage over CT is that they can detect any changes earlier in the cycle, and earlier diagnosis will enable better treatment.

Sheryl knows better and may correct me!

Very best wishes for a positive outcome for you. This stuff is not fun.

But I am very very impressed with Prof Chucheep who operated on me at Bangkok Christian, where nursing aftercare was streets ahead of that which I have endured at other 'top' hospitals here.

Thanks to Sheryl's excellent advice to me.

8 hours ago, banK said:

I had a PET scan done in March this year top of head to toe was 63,000 baht at the Bangkok Bangkok hospital.

banK

Yes, that's the price at Bangkok Hospital

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He is not going to Chula. They do not have PET. He is going to Chulabhorn Hospital's National Cyclotron and PET Center...

Thank you for having caught that error of mine.

18 hours ago, lelapin said:

Thanks for the advice. It is my 1st PET scan.

It is a painless procedure and nothing to fret about. When you are given the appointment for the PET you will will also get advice on dietary restrictions on the day before the PET and the day itself. Be sure to adhere to them.

Aside from the insertion of the needle for taking blood samples and for the infusion, the only discomfort you may feel is from having to hold your hands above your head during the somewhat lengthy scan. If the machine is equipped with straps to tie your wrists to the frame you may want to ask the technician to do that.

• Like 2

Went to Chulabhorn Hospital's National Cyclotron and PET Center today. Checked in at information desk at 11.00 am and completed detail form about myself.

At 12.20 pm I was called again to show my referral from Dr., recent blood test results, review what recent medical treatment I had received and what medicine I was taking.

I explained I didn't need an appointment until mid July and I was given one for 15th July at 9.30 am with the results being available on 18th July, perfect for my 22nd July appointment with my BCH Dr.

I was given a Preparation For Procedure form and asked for 15,000 baht deposit for the expected total cost of 32,000 baht. The staff there were very helpful but going there with a Thai I feel made things much easier to communicate. 

I hope the above information is of help for anyone about to undergo a PET/CT scan themselves. 

• Thanks 1

When needs must I go to EKO XRAY and IMAGING INSTITUTE,Kolkta,only a couple of hours away from BKK.  Has the latest imaging,....needs to be the producers of the imaging machinery fall over backwards to get their equipment into Indian hospitals after FDA approval,ever few months newer machinery arrives,like confetti,they junk older models after a few months

Anyway 8/9000 baht whole body PET/SCAN,usually walk in...try EKO web page for a host of prices,think standard MRI is around 4000 baht....4 to 5 000 to get there  round trip

Its in RPS  half for baht         hit the full address for price list,hope it works.   There are many ,far too many hospitals  there to mention

EKO X-Ray and Imaging Institute
Rs. 18000.00 (Whole Body / Brain Scan)

Elgin, Kolkata (Full Address)

Edited by oxysong
info