Folau rejected A$1 million Rugby Australia settlement offer - report

Folau rejected A$1 million Rugby Australia settlement offer - report

800x800 (15).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Rugby Union - England v Australia - Twickenham Stadium, London, Britain - November 24, 2018 Australia's Israel Folau runs in to score their first try REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Wallabies fullback Israel Folau rejected a A$1 million (532,822 pounds) offer from Rugby Australia to walk away from his contract ahead of this weekend's code of conduct hearing, local media reported on Sunday.

Folau, a fundamentalist Christian, on Saturday faced a three-member panel who will decide whether he breached RA's code of conduct with a social media post that said "hell" awaited "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers" and others.

The hearing will continue on Sunday with no decision expected before Monday at the earliest but the Sunday Telegraph reported that Folau could have avoided it if he had agreed to accept a sum equivalent to one year of his lucrative contract.

RA and Folau's Super Rugby team, the New South Wales Waratahs, have already publicly committed to terminating Folau's contract and last month served the 73-test back with a "high-level" breach notice.

That said his social media post had 'disrespected' people on the basis of their sexuality in breach of his contract and Rugby Australia's inclusion policy.

Folau was issued a formal warning after a similar post last year but attempts by Rugby Australia to include specific clauses about social media posts in the contract the player signed in February were rejected, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

The record Super Rugby try-scorer's high powered legal team will argue that Folau was merely quoting scripture and not directly disrespecting any individual, the newspaper added.

Folau, RA chief executive Raelene Castle and Wallabies coach Michael Cheika all gave "oral evidence" on day one of the hearing, the governing body said in a statement.

The offending post, which has attracted 53,000 'likes' and 47,700 comments, remains on Folau's Instagram page (www.instagram.com/izzyfolau/).

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-05
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm saving this "prediction" for another day.  Perhaps you haven't been following the news? Folau is being supported by Samoan rugby players far and wide who share his religious beliefs

Samoan rugby players are only a small part of the whole. Perhaps YOU haven't been following the news - several senior Aussie players (Genia, Hooper etc) have already indicated he is no longer welcome in the national team, Chieka ditto, and I think you need to go to L'Equipe website to see what the French think (seems he won't be welcome in France). Keep saving that prediction.

Just now, Dexlowe said:

Samoan rugby players are only a small part of the whole. Perhaps YOU haven't been following the news - several senior Aussie players (Genia, Hooper etc) have already indicated he is no longer welcome in the national team, Chieka ditto, and I think you need to go to L'Equipe website to see what the French think (seems he won't be welcome in France). Keep saving that prediction.

Your prediction is NO rugby club (no geographical limitations) - a foolish statement

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Your prediction is NO rugby club (no geographical limitations) - a foolish statement

Nitpicking. Clearly the understanding is no professional club (as the rest of my post is at pains to point out). He's a pro player - comprendez? 

Just now, Dexlowe said:

Nitpicking. Clearly the understanding is no professional club (as the rest of my post is at pains to point out). He's a pro player - comprendez? 

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

By the way wouldn't it just be much more honest to provide a link to Paul Cully's opinion piece in today's Herald rather than parrot his ideas as if they're your own? He at least limits it to "in Australia" - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/whatever-happens-now-folau-will-never-play-rugby-in-australia-again-20190504-p51k1d.html

Edited by ThaiBunny

Good on him, there is no price you can pay someone to shut them up, the truth hurts, just look at Assange, & Tommy, they got the ruff end of the stick.

Go Folau, greatest rugby player ever, regardless of what he says, right or wrong, it's "his" belief and the sooner they get rid of that dyk running the ARL the better off we will all be, WITCH, with a B !

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

And in breaking news the saga drags on; the lawyers for both sides need more time to argue their cases

ARL know they have disturbed up a hornets nest, Folau is the top player and we are sick to the gut of governments, organisations, telling us, what we say, shouldn't be said or else, in other words taking our fundamental rights away of free speech away from us, contracts drawn up to restrict us, etc, etc, where does it end.

I hope this Witch ends up with egg on her face, who cares if his opinion has offended, gays, adulterers and the rest, it's his religious freedom to follow what he believes in, personally I couldn't give too hoots, this witch should never put her nose in, but guess those advertising $'s threatening to pull the pin come first, gutless wench she is IMO, no back bone to say, hey, if that's what he believes in, i.e. his Christian faith and he is quoting it from that all might book, who is she to start beating her hairy chest, like I said, witch ! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ARL ? Displays no knowledge of the man or his sport. He doesn't play for Australian Rugby League, or the Airport Rail Link, for that matter.

And for the record, Tongan, not Samoan heritage

He is contracted to RA. Rugby Australia.

If Qantas go ahead and withdraw their sponsorship due to this misguided bigot's social media outbursts, RA lose their largest sponsor who have naming rights for the Qantas Wallabies

Folau's insistence to use his media profile as a Qantas Wallaby to promote his views is in breach of his AU$4 million contract. 

He won't play in Australia again; France, NZ and Japan are off the future list too. 

His future as a preacher, saving lost souls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what a refreshing change, from all those islamists wanting to chop my head off, me. ?? BAPTIST CHAPEL, bloody ell we are sooo  boring. but we love you all.

Us Methodists can be boring as well.

( Not sure if we still exist)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good on him, there is no price you can pay someone to shut them up, the truth hurts, just look at Assange, & Tommy, they got the ruff end of the stick.

Go Folau, greatest rugby player ever, regardless of what he says, right or wrong, it's "his" belief and the sooner they get rid of that dyk running the ARL the better off we will all be, WITCH, with a B !

And the CEO of a certain Australian airline fanning the flames from behind the scenes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

I wonder what the reaction to his statement would have been if he was Muslim, they also condemn gays, adulterers etc but espouse punishment in this world, not the next.

I feel that he has the right to say what his beliefs are, he is not promoting violence, he warns that judgement is after death and as an unbeliever I couldn’t give a damn.

My thoughts exactly. But as a believer and guilty of some of the other offenses he included I do not loose any sleep at night. Must not be sensitive enough to be a poo**r.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Being politically uncorrect marks him has a potential source of conflict which clubs can do without. As for the Aussie Wallabies and Chieka, they're <deleted> anyway. Even more so without his talents.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Being politically uncorrect marks him has a potential source of conflict which clubs can do without. As for the Aussie Wallabies and Chieka, they're <deleted> anyway. Even more so without his talents.

If you look at the size of the "crowds" attending any Super Rugby matches the whole sport in Australia is in serious trouble.

And to be non PC what can you expect from a tarted up women running a mans game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

ARL ? Displays no knowledge of the man or his sport. He doesn't play for Australian Rugby League, or the Airport Rail Link, for that matter.

And for the record, Tongan, not Samoan heritage

He is contracted to RA. Rugby Australia.

If Qantas go ahead and withdraw their sponsorship due to this misguided bigot's social media outbursts, RA lose their largest sponsor who have naming rights for the Qantas Wallabies

Folau's insistence to use his media profile as a Qantas Wallaby to promote his views is in breach of his AU$4 million contract. 

He won't play in Australia again; France, NZ and Japan are off the future list too. 

His future as a preacher, saving lost souls.

I read on one Rugby thread that Qantas were going to pull out anyway, before all this blew up.

Sports people, and entertainers for that matter, have every right to their own opinion and express it. However, some seem to think that because they can play sport, sing, play music or be in entertaining films, they have some right to lecture everyone else on how to thinks, how to behave and what they can say. Time perhaps for a reality check - but while they get paid stupidly large amounts of money their egos will continue to grow.

2 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you look at the size of the "crowds" attending any Super Rugby matches the whole sport in Australia is in serious trouble.

And to be non PC what can you expect from a tarted up women running a mans game.

RU has always been the poor relation of Aussie Rules and Rugby League. But since the Wallabies nosedived in performance, and Cheika's only answer is to continually whine about the ref and how they all are biased against his team, the drop off is understandable.

I don't know her background. Was she the best candidate or was this another politically correct appointment?

Or this:

The Telegraph suggested RA may fear it'll lose its battle against Folau.
RA is bracing for an AU$12 million financial loss for the upcoming season - pushing the code to the brink of collapsing if they have to pay out the entirety of Folau's AU$4 million contract.

How can they be facing a AU$12 million loss when they charge children over $300 to play the sport.

Give him nothing. Zilch, zero, zip. If he is good enough, he can make money elsewhere. If not, he can console himself he stuck by his beliefs. The game is bigger than one person.