Printer

muffy

Mono or colour??

Budget?

Average monthly usage?

Photos, documents, both??

I always recommend laser, even for low use colour. They print first time, every time, no hours spent unblocking print heads and with the right paper they produce quite acceptable fade-proof photos.

I have one of these https://asia.canon/en/consumer/imageclass-mf635cx/product?languageCode=EN

imageclass-mf635cx_b1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Mono or colour??

Budget?

Average monthly usage?

Photos, documents, both??

I always recommend laser, even for low use colour. They print first time, every time, no hours spent unblocking print heads and with the right paper they produce quite acceptable fade-proof photos.

But low usage color laser did not appear that cost effective to   me - tried to convince myself but couldn't - my present Canon had reached expiration.  Ended up buying a newer version (MP-287) using the same ink carts as had several spare on hand.  As print head is part of cart have never had unblocking issues with real ink tanks but those sold as replacements are often less then stellar.  As need scanner using same software also an advantage.  Still have laser envy but find this is working well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Still have laser envy but find this is working well.

If you have a working solution that suits you then all is good.

I was finding that the time I spent getting my printer working after periods, often months, of no activity was becoming wearing (I have a cheap mono laser for those day to day jobs).

With colour lasers starting at below 6k Baht https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/laser-printers/canon/imageclass-lbp7018c-color-laser-printer--p011404/ and using refillable cartridges the costs are becoming bearable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you print a lot AND use the printer on a regular basis, then an inkjet would be the way to go.

Local IT malls are pretty good at fixing and cleaning them when they go wrong and replacements are cheap.

If you are an occasional user (like me) then an 'all in one' color laser is the only serious choice.

I have a Samsung C460. I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago and the original 'starter' cartridges still have plenty of life in them! (Which is useful, because toner replacements are very expensive!)

This model also has NFC and WiFi... which is handy sometimes, if printing from your phone.

c460.jpg.772a4c0521cb7dde93f503c1ed908b0e.jpg

• Like 1

Brother laser if the OP wants a lot of printing. I've just printed off a Mazda manual, 700 pages. HP Deskjet if color is required.

Inkjets are quite expensive in terms of replacement color/B&W cartridges.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Inkjets are quite expensive in terms of replacement color/B&W cartridges.

If printing like that yes indeed - but for one or two prints a day or week inkjet provides color at a very affordable price and multi function is found on even lowest priced models.  But if not printing anything for long periods inkjet can clog - most can be cleared with a waste of ink but if a fixed printhead can be real issue if does not clear easily.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, killerbeez said:

This could be a tough sell as no scanner and no color.

Good small office option, though.

The OP said "I need a good printer" - the Brother HL-1210W is a precisely that.

Ink jet with the modified add-on tanks are really cheap to buy and run. And the advantage of a scanner/copy etc. The ink lasts for years without a refill and when you need to refill you are not buying expensive cartridges, only inexpensive bottles of ink. The printer shops at Tukom or similar have them for 2.000-3,000 baht. I have had one for 3 years now and no problems, 2 marriage extensions (thats a lot of printing and scanning, lol)

image.jpeg.c741b0c3d3ea2b9ce389364d49630cb5.jpegimage.jpeg.42708edd94d68ad14b73ebd6fb080572.jpeg

• Thanks 1

when i got here, i bought a brother printer, lasted 1 year.

bought another as i had a good supply of cartridges lasted 1 year.

bought an epson low dollar l210, print and scan. it has the tanks on the side of the printer,factory. ink usage is minimal, i was surprised!!!

i have had this printer 5 years and never missed a beat.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

I've been considering getting a colour laser printer for a while, I don't print that much but might print the odd book here and there and I'm fed up with the crappy inkjets which always seem to block and dry out.

Does the Canon MF635Cx come with toner cartridges when you buy it?

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Does the Canon MF635Cx come with toner cartridges when you buy it?

Yes, in common with pretty much any low-cost printer these days it comes with "starter" cartridges.

Genuine Canon cartridges are not cheap (2k Baht each). 

I have a set of genuine carts for those "have to be really good" jobs and a set of refillable Chinese carts (toner refills are <$20 for all 4) for normal use. In reality I can see zero difference in the print quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Refillable-045H-Toner-Cartridge-CRG045H-CRG-045H-045-H-2800-Pages-for-Canon-MF634Cdw-MF632Cdw-LBP612Cd/32869157773.html

HTB1njiSqXOWBuNjy0Fiq6xFxVXai.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Color-Toner-Powder-for-Canon-MF631Cn-MF633Cdw-MF635Cx-MF732Cdw-Printer-Refillable-Cartridge-CRG-045-CRG045-CRG/32995663325.html

HTB10LWbKXOWBuNjy0Fiq6xFxVXa5.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Ink jet with the modified add-on tanks are really cheap to buy and run. And the advantage of a scanner/copy etc. The ink lasts for years without a refill and when you need to refill you are not buying expensive cartridges, only inexpensive bottles of ink. The printer shops at Tukom or similar have them for 2.000-3,000 baht. I have had one for 3 years now and no problems, 2 marriage extensions (thats a lot of printing and scanning, lol)

image.jpeg.c741b0c3d3ea2b9ce389364d49630cb5.jpegimage.jpeg.42708edd94d68ad14b73ebd6fb080572.jpeg

I just dumped a MP287 with tanks, got fed up with spending money on it...Just bought an HP Deskjet Advantage 5075, has an easy touch screen, no buttons except turn on. It really is in a different class. Think it cost 3700bht at Power Buy, cartridges are 400+bht...

• Like 1

Check the Canon G-series ink tank printers.

https://th.canon/en/consumer/products/search?category=printing&subCategory=inkjet-printers

I currently have the G3010 and before G2000.  I used the G2000 for 2 years going through 4-5 reams of paper and countless 4x6 photos without problems.  I game the G2000 away instead of buying more ink bottles because wanted G3010 for wireless feature.  I've been using the G3010 for one year without problems going through 2 reams of paper and countless photo's.  Still have lots of ink remaining in tanks.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, rodknock said:

when i got here, i bought a brother printer, lasted 1 year.

bought another as i had a good supply of cartridges lasted 1 year.

bought an epson low dollar l210, print and scan. it has the tanks on the side of the printer,factory. ink usage is minimal, i was surprised!!!

i have had this printer 5 years and never missed a beat.

My Brother printer has been going strong for 5 1/2 years.

• Like 2