Mazda battery warranty

kevc

Bought a Mazda 2 new Jan 2018, a light started to flash on the dash the wife took it in and they said it needs a new battery soon 1,500 baht surely the battery should last longer than fifiteen months and I would have thought the warranty on it should still be in effect. Does anyone out there know anything about the warranty period.

They said if your using everything and going short journeys it would run the battery down but we only have the aircon turned on and the shortest journey is ten kilometres, thought that wouldn't be classed as excessive.

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-T900 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hot climate seems to wear batteries faster. Back home I would always get three to four years minimum before replacing at the first sign of failure. In Thailand you're doing quite well if you get three years. On my old Fiesta it's been from two to three years (mostly short trips). If you go through the old threads on batteries you will find people claiming anywhere from one to six years. As to warranty, I would not be surprised if Mazda only give you a year. 

I have just replaced the battery on my BT50. The original one lasted just over 4 years.

You need to be aware that as soon as you hit the remote on the key, anything that was not manually switched off will be ready to start. If you continually start the engine with the stereo and air con already switched on, for example, the battery will not last as long.

Also need to do a long journey out of town once in a while.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, kevc said:

they said it needs a new battery soon 1,500 baht surely the battery should last longer than fifiteen months

Not the ones Mazda puts in cars like other makes buy a after market HD battery from one of the many Auto battery shops about everywhere. 

Warranty on Mazda battery is one year. Heat is the killer of batteries. I always open the hood of my car when I get home. Saves the  battery from getting cooked. When driving there is air passing through the engine compartment so the battery gets as hot as the air passing through the compartment but as soon as you stop and the air stops moving through the engine compartment the battery starts to cook. 

I also find that maintenance batteries last longer than maintenance free as you can always top off a maintenance battery but a maintenance free battery that cooks will loose fluid as there are breather holes in a maintenance free battery and water evaporates. I haven't seen gel batteries here but if you can get a gel battery it will last longer as they are completely sealed. They will actually work if mounted on their side or upside down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevc said:

Thanks for the replies, looks like we'll just have to cough up for a new one. We had a new Isuzu Highlander before this and it went three years before we needed to replace the battery just seemed a bit strange this one would go in 15 months.

There are many factors regarding battery longevity...

16 hours ago, kevc said:

Thanks for the replies, looks like we'll just have to cough up for a new one. We had a new Isuzu Highlander before this and it went three years before we needed to replace the battery just seemed a bit strange this one would go in 15 months.

Doesn't the Mazda 2 have an i-stop function? If it does, that's probably one of the reasons why your battery depleted quicker than with your Isuzu. 

14 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Doesn't the Mazda 2 have an i-stop function? If it does, that's probably one of the reasons why your battery depleted quicker than with your Isuzu. 

Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force.