Diving Accident In Thailand

js1

The tattoo in Thai on his arm above his missing thumb translated says 'Always in my heart' but maybe is should have said 'Always be in a Moray'. :o In my 50 years of scuba diving, unfortunately I have noticed that such incidents are becoming more common as more and more people are diving and trying to interact with wildlife in a way that can have serious repercussions .

The tattoo in Thai on his arm above his missing thumb translated says 'Always in my heart' but maybe is should have said 'Always be in a Moray'. :o In my 50 years of scuba diving, unfortunately I have noticed that such incidents are becoming more common as more and more people are diving and trying to interact with wildlife in a way that can have serious repercussions .

5555555! :D nice one!

You play with eels you will get a bite. Even if you don;t you will get a bite. The bite

!I'm not going to do any

"C Card" waving but just to say that I have alot of experience, not so much as a working dive guide but more a manager and trainer of those who wish to train trainers. end of that story. the bigger eels breather by moving their mouth so the look like bad boys, Unrpovoket they are fine. Let me just say I have looked at hundreds of eels and NEVER touched or played with any of them and have never been bitten by and eels. I have seen things like Dive Guides having fat moreys swin thru their BC's etc. I have a good story about eels feeding. People take squid in baggies down to feed, carefully. Problem is that the scent is still on the hands of the feeder etd. end of story, another eel bite. It is fact that if you are nipped by and eel push foprward that the eel will release. Pull back and it get worse. Eel teeth are rows of little sharp raizors and will do bad dammage. tha big head is muscle and you get lig/tendon dammage most often.

The soultion is simple, don't play with eels! End of story!

Reminds me of the australian guy who lost his life last year while filming his wildlife show. I can't remember his name, but he said "Crikey" over 1000 times in each show.

People should respect wildlife be it marine or terra based fauna.

That is nuts. I've read too much about moray eels too mess around like that and my first diving instructor told us never to stick your hand inside coral or other places as eels could be in there and hold on to your hand and never let go (this would especially suck if you were snorkeling, you'd drown!). I never forgot that lesson and would never do what these guys did.

As for Steve Irwin, I think he did great things for wildlife. And, his death was a pure accident and he wasn't antagonizing the ray.

Met these two morays' at similans, same spot.. Have seen others do "death roles" before. You sure as hel_l dont want you finger in their mouth when they make their twist. I always keep my first clenched when close to em in the hope they can never lock on to parts which can be easily removed.

As anything in the sea, nice to see but keep your disance.

That is nuts. I've read too much about moray eels too mess around like that and my first diving instructor told us never to stick your hand inside coral or other places as eels could be in there and hold on to your hand and never let go (this would especially suck if you were snorkeling, you'd drown!). I never forgot that lesson and would never do what these guys did.

As for Steve Irwin, I think he did great things for wildlife. And, his death was a pure accident and he wasn't antagonizing the ray.

When you snorkeling you ascent, without finger or with finger and moray eel, it can't hold you down, you most probably not drown (if you don't black out, when you see someone eating your body parts).

One divemaster I was diving before loved to touched everything, stonefish, lionefish, sea horse (is it called sea horse??). Actually he knew where he can touch them safe. I am already waiting to see such a movie with him and mr lionfish as actors....

Edited by h90