Golf - Emotional Woods accepts Medal of Freedom at White House

webfact

Golf - Emotional Woods accepts Medal of Freedom at White House

By Rory Carroll

2019-05-07T000101Z_1_LYNXNPEF451P6_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-TIGERWOODS.JPG

Golfer Tiger Woods is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, by U.S. President Donald Trump in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 6, 2019. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne

(Reuters) - Tiger Woods, who stunned the sports world when he won his fifth Masters title last month, received his country's highest civilian honour, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, from U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday.

Last month's Augusta triumph ended an 11-year major title drought for the 43-year-old golfer, who had endured personal and professional setbacks including a highly-public divorce and multiple surgeries over the previous decade.

An emotional Woods thanked those in attendance at the Rose Garden ceremony at the White House for their support through the years when he was not winning.

"You've seen the good and the bad, the highs and the lows, and I would not be in this position without all of your help," he said after Trump placed the medal around his neck.

Woods recalled his breakthrough triumph at Augusta 22 years ago which the then 21-year-old celebrated with his father and mentor Earl, who died in 2006.

"In '97, yes, I won the Masters and I ended up hugging my dad and my mom," he said.

"My dad is no longer here but my mom is here, I love you mom," he added, his voice cracking with emotion as he went on to thank his two children and girlfriend Erica Herman.

"The amazing Masters experience I just had a few weeks ago certainly is part of the highlight of what I've accomplished in my life on the golf course."

Trump, an avid golfer, described the 15-times major champion as a "a global symbol of American excellence, devotion and drive".

Woods joined Arnold Palmer, Charlie Sifford and Jack Nicklaus as the only golfers to have received the award.

It is awarded annually to people who have made outstanding contributions to the security or national interests of the country, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavours.

Since taking office Trump has given the award to several athletes, including former professional NFL players Roger Staubach and Alan Page as well as posthumously to baseball great "Babe" Ruth.

(Reporting by Rory Carroll, editing by Nick Mulvenney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-07

Tiger had the courage to withstand the wife chasing him around the house with a four iron! He had the courage to bang hostesses at Waffle Houses! Makes millions hitting a golf ball and from branding. In Trump’s eyes, all that makes him a hero. ????

But seriously, if another president had done this, I wouldn’t have batted an eye, or even much noticed. The issue with Trump doing this and the lingering doubt as to why, is that Trump, while refusing to release his tax returns continues to run businesses that afford others the opportunity to bribe him. He continues to promote his businesses as president. How do we know when, the next time Tiger plays at one of his properties—which would bring Trump properties enormous free publicity—that it is not tit for tat?

trump's recipients to date have certainly been an eclectic mix. 

Mostly sports, along with Elvis.

Usually grouped, no clue why Tiger got the solo treatment now? Timely lead-up to the PGA Championship at Bethpage Black next week?

He's giving them away now.

Woods is a great golfer but I am not sure if that makes him a great American.  After all, he is constantly quoting himself as Thai.

Trump doesn't even pretend to be a real president any more.

11 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Tiger had the courage to withstand the wife chasing him around the house with a four iron! He had the courage to bang hostesses at Waffle Houses! Makes millions hitting a golf ball and from branding. In Trump’s eyes, all that makes him a hero. ????

But seriously, if another president had done this, I wouldn’t have batted an eye, or even much noticed. The issue with Trump doing this and the lingering doubt as to why, is that Trump, while refusing to release his tax returns continues to run businesses that afford others the opportunity to bribe him. He continues to promote his businesses as president. How do we know when, the next time Tiger plays at one of his properties—which would bring Trump properties enormous free publicity—that it is not tit for tat?

11 hours ago, Thakkar said:

supposedly, woods is designing a new golf course for trump.  so, the medal of freedom has been reduced to a business perk by the Orange One.  

I don't know how anyone could accept an award from such a lowlife so I did a little reading.

Who gave the award?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-would-have-been-charged-with-obstruction-were-he-not-president-hundreds-of-former-federal-prosecutors-assert/2019/05/06/e4946a1a-7006-11e9-9f06-5fc2ee80027a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6d035fc83de2

"More than 450 former federal prosecutors who worked in Republican and Democratic administrations have signed on to a statement asserting special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s findings would have produced obstruction charges against President Trump — if not for the office he holds.

The statement...offers a rebuttal to Attorney General William P. Barr’s determination that the evidence Mueller uncovered was “not sufficient” to establish that Trump committed a crime."

Oh, so the Orange man is essentially a criminal. How surprising.

Now who accepted the award from the criminal president?

This guy:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2019/05/02/tiger-woods-donald-trump-white-house-no-big-deal/3656258002/

"...choosing to play golf with the president on occasion while remaining silent about what he actually thinks of him. Unlike his peers LeBron James and Serena and Venus Williams, Tiger has never been one to take a stand on any big cultural or societal issue. He made that clear early on when, days after winning the 1997 Masters, he turned down President Bill Clinton’s invitation to attend a 50th anniversary celebration of Jackie Robinson to go on vacation in Mexico. 

When you make a decision like that at 21, hanging with a guy like Trump when you’re 43 is no problem at all."

Ok got it. So a golfer with no social conscience is having lunch with a criminal.

That's quite the story to hand down to your grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

supposedly, woods is designing a new golf course for trump.  so, the medal of freedom has been reduced to a business perk by the Orange One.  

Hadn't heard that before but I'd me more surprised to learn if it did anything that wasn't self serving. I think you are spot on to note the degradation of yet another practice or institution by this orange stain on American history.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Please share with us your international achievements. 

oh, just the 1. not being played a fool by an orange dotard. Have you managed even that?

Meanwhile...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-inauguration-nightmare-all-the-musicians-who-have-turned-down-invites

"...Below is a list of the major talent that has said no to Trump so far.

ELTON JOHN

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, BRUNO MARS, and KATY PERRY

GARTH BROOKS

ANDREA BOCELLI

KISS

CELINE DION

KANYE WEST"

A celebrity who said yes to Orange? Woods

https://www.businessinsider.com/championship-teams-trump-white-house-2019-4

"When the Boston Red Sox visit the White House this week, the manager and one-third of the players will not be present...

...the long-standing tradition of title-winners visiting the White House has turned into a bit of a circus...

...including the absence of notable players, the presence of players who looked unhappy, teams that appeared to be embarrassed about the trip, and the growing habit of serving fast food to world-class athletes....

...we take a look at every championship that did not go to the (Orange) House...

2016-17 North Carolina Tar Heels — men's college basketball champions

2016-17 South Carolina Gamecocks — women's college basketball champions

Jimmie Johnson — 2016 NASCAR champion

2016-17 Golden State Warriors — NBA champions

2017 Minnesota Lynx — WNBA champions

2017 Philadelphia Eagles — Super Bowl champions

2017-18 Villanova Wildcats — men's college basketball champions

2017-18 Notre Dame Fighting Irish — women's college basketball champions

2017-18 Golden State Warriors — NBA champions

etc

etc

etc"

A celebrity who said yes to Orange? Woods

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

No but he is in your head so bad that you cant even celebrate a great American athlete LOL

Sorry and hate to disturb your loling but you are incorrect. Perhaps you'd misunderstood the assignment.

There's no orange poop residing in my mind. Then how did it get into forum comments?

Perhaps to reread the story you'll notice it is the orange dotard putting the medal on the athlete's neck.

My comments reflect not how I view Woods' abilities, but on how his descendents might have been made even more proud if their talented and practiced ancestor denounced a medal from this guy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-report-trump-housing-discrimination-2017-2

"The FBI made available 389 pages from a 1970s investigation of racial discrimination accusations against Trump Management Company, a real-estate business linked to President Donald Trump at the time....

...Trump agreed to a consent decree, whereby no admission of wrongdoing would be given, however, his management company was ordered to take out ads telling ethnic minorities that they were welcome to seek housing at Trump properties"

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racist-racism-history

"Donald Trump’s long history of racism, from the 1970s to 2019

Trump has repeatedly claimed he’s “the least racist person.” His history suggests otherwise."

It isn't the medal from a known racist that makes Tiger Woods a great athlete.

• Like 2

No big deal just Donald trying to suck up all the oxygen congrats Tiger and no Rickag I doubt if tigers dad would be proud of his son accepting an award from a rasist 

3 hours ago, Tug said:

...I doubt if Tiger's dad would be proud of his son accepting an award from a racist 

Thus the dilemma. You get to bring mom to the White House but a racist is officiating there a hanging on your neck.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

No it's the medal from a grateful country that makes him great.

If Tiger fell a hole in one in the Woods and no one was there to see it...

http://time.com/3669168/oscar-snubs/

"These 20 Famous Actors Have Never Won an Oscar

Glenn Close

Robert Downey Jr.

Tom Cruise

Harrison Ford

Johnny Depp

John Travolta

etc

etc

etc"

https://www.famousscientists.org/7-scientists-whose-ideas-were-rejected-during-their-lifetimes/

"The Ideas Rejected

Alfred Wegener

Continental Drift

Ignaz Semmelweis

Hand Washing Saves Lives

(and that little known guy)

Nicholas Copernicus

Heliocentric Solar System

etc

etc

etc"

http://www.webdesignschoolsguide.com/library/10-artists-not-appreciated-in-their-time.html

"...Artists Not Appreciated in Their Time

Vincent Van Gogh

Paul Gauguin

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

Claude Monet

etc

etc

etc."

11 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i watched the award ceremony. trump called tw one of the greates athletes. i disagree. tw is a great golfer

if you want to talk about great athletes then start with michael jordan

Now thats a legit complaint. But I think its the same gig with folks everywhere....your hyperbole towards a sport is based on what you like. Trump likes golf and football. I think golfers are great atheletes, but I would take someone like Lionel Messi or Zdeno Charra cuz those are the sports I like. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, madmen said:

He looks old. You would think as a black man he would shave his head but for some reason likes the old half bald look

or go all out, head to head in matching hairstyles:image.jpeg.b027cab13435ab41c51d9c2314ccd95b.jpeg with The Don

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
7 hours ago, atyclb said:

i watched the award ceremony. trump called tw one of the greates athletes. i disagree. tw is a great golfer

if you want to talk about great athletes then start with michael jordan

Now thats a legit complaint. But I think its the same gig with folks everywhere....your hyperbole towards a sport is based on what you like. Trump likes golf and football. I think golfers are great atheletes, but I would take someone like Lionel Messi or Zdeno Charra cuz those are the sports I like. 

golf requires lots of practice, patience, devotion, but it's basically the swing and getting the ball in the hole.  golf is more a game than a sport imo.. 

9 minutes ago, atyclb said:

golf requires lots of practice, patience, devotion, but it's basically the swing and getting the ball in the hole.  golf is more a game than a sport imo.. 

Flexibility and tuned stregnth

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
11 hours ago, atyclb said:

Flexibility and tuned stregnth

reaching