Bbq Sauce

Try and suck up as I may, Buckwheat will not divulge the secret ingredients of his family recipe for rib dribs. I have tried many recipes, but nothing really grabs my fancy. I heard tamarind and soya/worchester sauce are key, but do you TV chefs have one to share? I want to bake the ribs.

Not a recipe, but... I was cooking down some blueberries once for a dessert sauce and it struck me that the unsweetened sauce would make a great base for a bbq sauce. It was very rich and fragrant and almost smoky tasting after simmering for about 5-10 minutes, and I could just imagine it with some chili powder and black pepper... but then I went on to drizzle the blueberry goo on a pastry and never got around to experimenting. :o

I make a batch and keep in the refrig and use on about everything (pork, chicken, beef). I use a pastry brush to 'paint' it on or you could marinate in it for a couple of hours.

Heinz or A-1 Steak Sauce & Kikkoman Soy Sauce mixed 50-50

Salt

Garlic powder (generous amount)

Black Pepper (a fair amount depending on how spicy you like it)

Powdered red chili pepper (same as above)

McCormick Barbecue Seasoning (mixed spices)

The garlic powder can be difficult to dissolve so I use a container with a tight lid and shake the h3ll out of it until everything is well mixed. :o

Can't give you the amounts of the above, I just put in what 'feels' right so some experimenting may be necessary.

I always use the old classic that I got from a friend many years ago dat his mama had taught him...basic ingredients: tomato catsup and distilled white vinegar in 2:1 then any unrefined sugar to taste, the more unrefined the better fer de molasses taste, heat inna sauce pan an' stir slowly...then, tabasco, LIQUID SMOKE!!! and whatever else strikes yer fancy. This has always gone down a treat with bbqed meats an' highly popular at tutsi's epic california bbqs...never have used it in de oven. When on de bbq grill only add at the last as wid de sugars involved it will burn if left too long on de heat...never to use as a marinade...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Ms JG, I'd say for oven roasted ribs best to marinade in sum kinda soy sauce/onion/ginger/garlic concoction then put in de oven covered wid foil, den baste wid tutsi's (or others) bbq sauce fer de final 15-20 minutes ob cookin'...also, best to remove the membrane on the inner side ob de ribs and scrape off sum ob de fat underneath...ribs got plenty ob fat anyway...

ye can also parboil de ribs den bbq usin' a covered arrangement like a webber or one ob dem split oil drum arrangements...good smoky aroma...

an' we are talkin' PORK RIBS ain't we??? any other kinda ribs I wouldn't give to a pig...

bon apetit...

Thanks, all.

What do you think of this one?

Emeril's Baby Backs

2 racks baby back pork ribs, about 4 pounds, each cut in half

2 tablespoons Emeril's Creole Seasoning:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

1 (12-ounce) bottle dark brown ale

4 cups ketchup

1 cup finely chopped yellow onions

1/2 cup pure cane syrup (recommended: Steen's 100 percent) or molasses

1/2 cup dry red wine

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons Creole or other spicy whole-grain mustard

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon or other hot pepper sauce

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Rub the ribs on both sides with Essence or rib rub. Place in a large sealable bag or on a large sheet of aluminum foil placed in a large roasting pan. Cover with the beer and seal. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.

Remove the ribs from the bag and bring to room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Line a large baking sheet with heavy aluminum foil, lay the ribs on top, and tightly cover with cover with foil. Roast for 2 hours.

Preheat the grill.

Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine the ketchup, onions, cane syrup, red wine, lemon juice, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, jalapenos, Worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, salt, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl.

Stir to mix well. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Remove the ribs from the oven and uncover.

Transfer to the hot grill, cover, and cook over indirect heat for 30 minutes. Brush the ribs with the sauce, and baste and turn every 10 minutes, for an additional 30 minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_24252,00.html

sheeeeit...seems to me that ye could get the desired result wid a lot less effort... :D

:D Ya, methoughts the same. Just wanted the sauce recipe for variations on what our TV chefs posted. I was sure I saw a recipe somewhere with tamarind in it...I think I'll do as you suggested, Tutsi: boil em first and then bake and then add sauce and braise. I know my sis has a recipe that uses canned peach/apricot syrup instead of sugar. :o

I make a batch and keep in the refrig and use on about everything (pork, chicken, beef). I use a pastry brush to 'paint' it on or you could marinate in it for a couple of hours.

Heinz or A-1 Steak Sauce & Kikkoman Soy Sauce mixed 50-50

Salt

Garlic powder (generous amount)

Black Pepper (a fair amount depending on how spicy you like it)

Powdered red chili pepper (same as above)

McCormick Barbecue Seasoning (mixed spices)

The garlic powder can be difficult to dissolve so I use a container with a tight lid and shake the h3ll out of it until everything is well mixed. :o

Can't give you the amounts of the above, I just put in what 'feels' right so some experimenting may be necessary.

I tried this one last night with the A1 Steak Sauce. I also added tabasco and used fresh garlic instead of the powder. It was very good.

I tried this one last night with the A1 Steak Sauce. I also added tabasco and used fresh garlic instead of the powder. It was very good.

I'll have to try the tabasco sauce, seems several recipes use it. How did you prepare the fresh garlic? Garlic press (juiced) or finely diced?

While catsup would seem to be universal in a BBQ sauce, anyone who has spent time in the Carolinas knows that catsup is forbidden. This from

http://www.northcarolina.com/stories/bbq.html

A word here about the sauce. There are two different styles of North Carolina Barbecue, Eastern and Western. In both cases the sauce is a vinegar-based concoction, heavily seasoned; the largest difference is that the Western, or Lexington style of barbecue adds a small amount of tomato-base to the sauce, and also roasts pork shoulders in preference to the whole hog. That's it. That's the difference. Yet these tiny differences have caused near blood feuds between proponents of the two different styles.

In both cases the vinegar base is augmented by a variety of secret herbs and spices – some favorites are salt, pepper, red pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic, nutmeg, molasses, whiskey, and brown sugar. The specific potion is often a closely held secret, or varies depending on the ingredients at hand, but the sauce is thin, unlike most commercial tomato-based barbecue sauces. No roaster in their right mind would put that sweet, ketchupy stuff on a perfectly good pig.

I always use the old classic that I got from a friend many years ago dat his mama had taught him...basic ingredients: tomato catsup and distilled white vinegar in 2:1 then any unrefined sugar to taste, the more unrefined the better fer de molasses taste, heat inna sauce pan an' stir slowly...then, tabasco, LIQUID SMOKE!!! and whatever else strikes yer fancy. This has always gone down a treat with bbqed meats an' highly popular at tutsi's epic california bbqs...never have used it in de oven. When on de bbq grill only add at the last as wid de sugars involved it will burn if left too long on de heat...never to use as a marinade...

I agree with this basic recipe....garlic, shallots, and lots of black pepper added as well. I would also add dried chili.

Palm sugar would be a nice substitution for the usual brown sugar.

The addition of vinegar is key in making bbq sauce. :o

:o I love you guys. All these hints and taste-true recipes and then Jazzbo comes up with a clan blood feud over BBQ sauce ingredients. Hatfields and MacCoys? Oh, wrong state. :D

Kay, the rib party is postponed for a day, so I gotta figure out which recipe to use. If I f** up, I shall lay blame and the sword. :D

Another rib sauce recipe

saute chopped up onion and celery

bit of lemon juice

bit of brown sugar

cup ketchup (catsup) or maybe tomato sauce

bit of worchester sauce

bit of dry mustard

cup canned peach syrup

mix together and bring to boil. Slather over parbaked/boiled ribs and grill.

Dear Ms. Jet -- This is from where I learned how to cook:

http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/frenchlaundry.htm

A typical menu: http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/TFLMenu0605.pdf

3 stars in Guide Michelin (http://www.michelinguide.com/)

And mustard-based BBQ sauce is sublime if done right.

It is now time to check the souffle' -- for the next year or so.

Holy jetsam! Look at that menu...$175, 50 year old vinegar, puree spuds, boeuf something...so you do food history and cooking, too? Glad you are adding to the food forum, Jazzy!

But 3 star Michelin...weeellllll, I gotta tell you, Tutsi's got 5.

I bet you will both keep us drooling, healthy and fat. :o

My favorite - Stolen from ex US President LBJ's wife.

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

dash of salt and pepper

a teaspoon of tabasco salt

dash of cayenne pepper

Melt butter in saucepan, add lemon juice, vinegar, ketchup and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, add seasonings, remove from heat, refrigerate for one to two days to develop full flavor. This is a table sauce, not a "mopping" sauce..

Holy jetsam! Look at that menu...$175, 50 year old vinegar, puree spuds, boeuf something...so you do food history and cooking, too? Glad you are adding to the food forum, Jazzy!

But 3 star Michelin...weeellllll, I gotta tell you, Tutsi's got 5.

I bet you will both keep us drooling, healthy and fat. :o

yeah...tutsi's 5 star bistro, just up by de bus station in Songphinong/Bang Li (no wine list, lao khao an' bier Chang only...but lotsa sexy burmese waitresses :D:D )

waitress: mr tutsi, that fat falang over there just pinched my bottom; tutsi: doan worry aboutit babe, I'll kiss it an' make it better...an', while I'm at it...Nan: tutsi!!! stop that...we're outta liquid smoke!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

wow!!!!!! after trying different types of grillers atlast i found a great griller.Its all credit goes to

http://www.homegrilling.com/

Using grillers such as the George Foreman Grill added a wonderful smell and taste to the foods we enjoy.Iam using many styles of grillers depending whether it may indoor grilling or of course outdoor barbecuing.

If u are willing to have a tasteful dinners u can use my advice and have nice taste.http://www.homegrilling.com