The strange Thai unwillingness to work

Brunolem

Here are a few recent real life events showing how poorly motivated the Thai people are when it comes to

work. 

Let's start with the most recent. 

While browsing the internet, I saw a very nice customized Suzuki Swift. 

Since I have an older version of this model, I thought "why not" ... 

I first contacted Suzuki in Ubon (my area) where I had bought my actual. car and explained my request. 

In return, the salesperson (not a secretary) said that she needed to confer with her boss... I am still waiting for a return call (actually, it is my wife who does the talking, so it is not the language that is stopping them). 

Then I contacted the customizer in Bangkok, who rushed to explain that in fact he wouldn't do this part (the painting) and that blah blah blah... instead of trying to get a deal, he was doing his best to avoid one. 

And to think that in the West we often use the car salesman as an exemple for being unrelenting ... well not here... 

Now, a few months ago, after being targeted by ads, I contacted a wellknown real estate developer about a nice condominium in Hua Hin (we are talking about units ranging between 5 and 15 millions). 

Despite the fact that 3 years after completion, the condo was still half unsold, I never received the brochure and other informations I had asked for! 

And I was never contacted despite leaving my email and phone number. 

Needless to say that when it comes to doing work closer to home, things are not better. 

Whatever I would like to be done always have to wait, because guys who had been sitting on their hands for weeks suddenly discover that they have something urgent to do as soon as they hear the word "work". 

And I pay easily twice the usual rate... 

Thus, I have a wall waiting to be built around part of the property, a high tree waiting to be cut, a part of the garden/field waiting to be cleaned in order to be usable, and so on. 

When it comes to get some work done, the ultimate words you generally hear are "may die" (cannot). 

And yet the local economy is supposedly booming... go wonder... 

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 2

I hope this isn't going to degenerate into a Thai bashing festival, because the work ethic, or lack of it, is not only found here. Across the entire Indian and Asian sectors, and the South Pacific Islands work, especially manual work doesn't seem to be met with much enthusiasm by those supposed to be doing it. I don't know if it is all culture or just the temperatures, or a combination. Life overall in these places goes at a much slower pace than we are used to at home. We want things done now, they see it as "what's the rush?" It really is East meets West, and understanding that things are different here, annoying as it is.

Edited by ThreeEyedRaven
Typo

10 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I hope this isn't going to degenerate into a Thai bashing festival, because the work ethic, or lack of it, is not only found here. Across the entire Indian and Asian sectors, and the South Pacific Islands work, especially manual work doesn't seem to be met with much enthusiasm by those supposed to be doing it. I don't know if it is all culture or just the temperatures, or a combination. Life overall in these places goes at a much slower pace than we are used to at home. We want things done now, they see it as "what's the rush?" It really is East meets West, and understanding that things are different here, annoying as it is.

looking wider...

Indians:    Fiji had an indigenous wide revolt against their Indians.

The Indians were the one who got off their butts, created business, populated industry... generay wiing to get6 their hands dirty

Indigenous Fiji, kicked them out, took their property and profits

Indians refugeed out of Fiji

Chinese:    Indonesia had an indigenous wide revolt against their Chinese.

The Chinese were the one who got off their butts, created business, populated industry... generally willing to get their hands dirty

Indigenous Indonesia, kicked them out, took their property and profits

Chinese refugeed out of Indonesia

these are the more recent, therefore more relevant examples; that not all the Asian/Indian stock are lazy like the thai