Why Are Most Of You Afraid Of Telling You Age,sex And Other Things?

SamuiJens

I notice that the 30+( which I'm part of) don't fill out a word about themselves. Are you so afraid you neigbor wil think, crikities, it's my neigbor! Please fill at least your sex your age and where you're from and whatever else you feel like. NO one will know who you are unless you tell them. It's so irretating reading a good post and checking the guys profile, you discover there is none. I wonder WHY? :o:D :D :D :ph34r:it's like never knowing anything about the Beatles or somthing like that.

Edited by SamuiJens

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best parts of this kind of communication is being able to be judged on your words and ideas without things like age, sex, etc coming into play and bringing about preconceived notions.

I notice that the 30+( which I'm part of) don't fill out a word about themselves. Are you so afraid you neigbor wil think, crikities, it's my neigbor! Please fill at least your sex your age and where you're from and whatever else you feel like. NO one will know who you are unless you tell them. It's so irretating reading a good post and checking the guys profile, you discover there is none. I wonder WHY? :o:D:D:D :ph34r:it's like never knowing anything about the Beatles or somthing like that.

Jens, first of all, hallo. Me I was just too lazy but I take your point. A few people who wanted to know or tell more have been in touch with me by PM which helps to keep threads tidy. You can do the same, most posters have no secrets.

The foremost in mind is Stereotyping. Many stereotypes are keyed to appearance based on picture posted, age, sex, race, nationality etc. By communicating online w/o the attached profile, may be they want people to form a sense of “who they actually are” and direct judgments based purely on their intellectual and verbal cues, or shared common interests. No one need know your age, sex, race, nationality, skin colour, or any other aspect that doesn't come out in the writing already. May be it’s a sense of preserving at least some privacy.

The other thing is accountability - cowardly acts are easier to commit by some of members here, and with no real negative consequences. May be it’s a sense of safety or at least the feeling of safety, that it is easy to hide themselves, at least on the internet, nobody knows they might actually also be a dog in real life. They might not be willing to walk up to someone, say something offensive, and then run away, but the online equivalent, of sending an offensive comments and then running away, is almost too easy. Experienced members tend either to develop the ability to ignore offensive messages or else, to drift away from the topic.

Edited by teacup

I think you posed a great question. As for myself, when I first joined the forum, I looked at other people's profiles and found that the majority of them gave no information about themselves so decided perhaps I should follow their example so did not fill out the information. After being in the forum for a while, I realized that many members by their posting who were probably men, had no information but a female picture as their avatar. I just assumed that they were katoeys, had not come out of the closet yet, or had not figured out what they were yet! :o I think that also many people just feel more comfortable hiding beyond anonymity. Thanks to your question, I have now filled out the profile fully. I am always interested in meeting new people in Thailand that may share similar interests with me so having a full profile that shows I am a real person may better suit me.

I notice that the 30+( which I'm part of) don't fill out a word about themselves. Are you so afraid you neigbor wil think, crikities, it's my neigbor! Please fill at least your sex your age and where you're from and whatever else you feel like. NO one will know who you are unless you tell them. It's so irretating reading a good post and checking the guys profile, you discover there is none. I wonder WHY? :o:D :D :D :ph34r:it's like never knowing anything about the Beatles or somthing like that.

If you read a good post why do you need to know the age/sex/origin of the poster? Good posts stand on their own - they shouldn't be modified by the attributes of the poster...

If you read a good post why do you need to know the age/sex/origin of the poster? Good posts stand on their own - they shouldn't be modified by the attributes of the poster...

Very well said..... but my comment was a little brash, however the message I am putting across is that I am real and if I do not agree with your comments and you feel that bad about it, I will meet you, I'm not a scared old man behind a keyboard, but at the same time I do hope that the respect on the forum doesn’t break down to such extremes.

im not afraid to tell you mr gens so let me fire this one your way,

im a 39 year old :o , english gentleman of the cloth. ( a reverend to be precise :D ).

i like shandies , towers of parish wine, alter bread, pie floaters, and respect soi dogs.

my parish is located in rambuttri street, i have many dedicated followers and the flock is growing at an amazing rate.

i also have a dedicated assistant named " DAVID J TAYLER" who has some very talented friends called the "katoey ten" who draw many followers to my church. :D

anyway MR jens, we have a special on this week where the believers will receive pizza instead of alter bread, so you are welcome to attend.

apparently the worshippers are getting very hungary after indulging in the towers of alter wine. :bah::D

thank you very much. :D

the good reverend terence.

I'd never considered giving details in a profile. This is the internet after all. But, for those who care, I'm 42, male, English (although also have an NZ passport), and I sometimes allow my desire to make a smartarse quip get the better of me.

I feel very ashamed about that.

So, for the esteemed member who has sent me PMs threatening to beat me up for highlighting his ignorance to the world when he would have preferred to keep it hidden, I can be found in Silom during the day and in Sukhumvit at night.

You can't really rely upon the information being 'honest'. One member recently had a birthday - 900 years old. :D I do look at profiles often but rarely look at the personal info except once trying to figure out if Jet G is female or not. :o Sorry Jet, just kidding.

I simply prefer to have my posts, questions etc. responded to according to their merit or lack thereof.

Occasionally there are people who "follow" you around the board and begin to make insinuations and not very pleasant comments based on where you have posted. This sort of "stalking" happened to me on a couple of occasions. I just signed off for about a week and they went away--or went after someone else.

Of the people who have PM'ed me, it's never been about exactly who I am etc. It's always been about some mutual interest we have.

I try to be careful about how much identifying information I reveal in my posts, and I guess the profile just seems like another thing to worry about like that...

Earlier, somebody had a thread about what you get when you search for your real name on the web. I get tens of thousands of hits which are probably all real hits to my professional life and essentially zero hits to personal information about me. I say "probably" since I am not going to check them all, but a random sampling was consistent.

I also had some weird experiences early in my career and in my student days which shaped my paranoia about privacy. I had some students sort of "stalk" me but not to the extent that I took legal action. It was still creepy. It made me regret some earlier participation in usenet where I had not bothered with psuedonyms. People can make weird mental leaps where they suddenly presume to know you very well just from reading your public communication, and without actually corresponding.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody somewhere has identified the autonomous unit, because they already know the writing style or enough operational details to notice the correpondance in posting history... I just don't want to make it easy for the random nut who get a bug up his nether parts.

I always thought it a question of relevance.

I think I did fill in "location" early on because if you pass a comment on life

in LOS it is relevant whether you live in Hua Hin or Huddersfield.

I got PM's from people who were (probably) female and the wording suggested

they thought I was ditto (go on wags , have fun with that one) so I set that

straight.

If you are asking for info about something , say visas , it is necessary to

give appropriate info in your post (nationality , age etc etc).

As for vital statistics and preferred hobbies/perversions , this is not a dating

forum , is it ?

Some people like to adopt a persona and adapt their posting style to fit.

I can think of a vampire , a rabbit and a duck. Whatever floats your boat.

:o

I notice that the 30+( which I'm part of) don't fill out a word about themselves. Are you so afraid you neigbor wil think, crikities, it's my neigbor! Please fill at least your sex

Sex: yes a lot, which details do you need?

your age

and where you're from

austria

and whatever else you feel like.

tired, see above the Sex question.....

NO one will know who you are unless you tell them. It's so irretating reading a good post and checking the guys profile, you discover there is none. I wonder WHY? :o:D :D :D :ph34r:it's like never knowing anything about the Beatles or somthing like that.

I'm deathly afraid of divulging that kind of information.....I've been married to my wife for over 5 years now and I've never told her how old I am.........or which sex either!!!!

Chownah

:o:D :D

I asked my wife before, Thailand, you are never sure....

If you don't fill out your profile, it takes the Gent a longer period of time to track you down and slaughter you in cold blood for p*ssing him off somehow. :o

Depends on how many are looking for you General. The local police have strict instructions to run off any irate Farangs looking for me along with any woman resembling the photos of ex wives I pinned on their notice board, or they're OFF the Christmas party list.

To me the reason is partly the obsessively secret society we now have to live in .

With the ability for some scrounger to sue you over the most trivial remarks , i guess everyone is too scared to let anyone know who they are in case anything comes back on them. For example , if someone posted they can't control their appetite and someone replied using the word "fat" it wouldn't surprise me if this is not illegal in the UK (most things are!!) and you could well be sued for damages for hurt caused.

Such is the stupid country the UK has become. I appreciate that we are far from all from the UK , but for those of us who are living in that police state , its an everyday thing i'm afraid.

Oh to bring back the glorious 1970's when everything was possible , the golliwog was on the Robertsons jam jar and no one was offended (is anyone really offended by that ..i doubt it ) etc etc ... you get the picture

To me the reason is partly the obsessively secret society we now have to live in .

With the ability for some scrounger to sue you over the most trivial remarks , i guess everyone is too scared to let anyone know who they are in case anything comes back on them. For example , if someone posted they can't control their appetite and someone replied using the word "fat" it wouldn't surprise me if this is not illegal in the UK (most things are!!) and you could well be sued for damages for hurt caused.

Such is the stupid country the UK has become. I appreciate that we are far from all from the UK , but for those of us who are living in that police state , its an everyday thing i'm afraid.

Oh to bring back the glorious 1970's when everything was possible , the golliwog was on the Robertsons jam jar and no one was offended (is anyone really offended by that ..i doubt it ) etc etc ... you get the picture

I had a Robertsons gollywog metal pin badge back in the 70's.. it was so cool & i believe they are quite collectable now.. wish i still had it.

I think the reason some people have fears about their profile is because of duplicity. There are a certain number of posters on this forum who, in my humble opinion, are the same person.

It is really quite easy to draw parallells between posters who have certain fascinations about who they would like as playthings in thailand, and other posters who have certain business ambitions / aspirations & have completely failed, have not even come close to achieving them & others who completely make up identities of the well educated person they would like to be, but do not at all portray that image with their posts on the forum.

Be honest with yourself. :o

Have other forum readers noticed the duplicity in the language spoken, typing manner, aggravation limit, troll meter, of some of the posters here.

I can understand legitimate people wanting to remain anonamous. No probs at all. Up to the individual concerned. :D

Soundman.