Recycling oil & batteries

Do gas stations take used oil for recycling?  I have a few liters of soiled mineral oil that was drained from some vacuum pumps.

Also have lots of spent batteries that I would prefer not to just toss into the trash can.  Will hardware stores take them (and not just toss them into the trash)?

Some locals will be happy to recycle for you, as they can make little money from used oil – including your cooking oil, which is worth (for them) being collected in for example empty water bottles – used batteries, and my like things.

Used cooking oil can for example be used as airplane fuel – Finnair did a test a few years ago when flying a commercial jet-plane from Helsinki to New York on used cooking oil – so if it smell of "french fried" coming from nowhere, it might have been a jet passer over your head, high up in the sky...????

"Now that's a high fryer! Finnair uses biofuel made from recycled COOKING OIL to power flight from Helsinki to New York"

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Do in Roman like the Romans, just throw it on the ground and it will either be there for years or someone will take it. 

I put loads of stuff out by the bin over a period of a week. It all disappeared except polystyrene, the bin men took that....????

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

How do think electric fork trucks work, plugged in with a long extension lead ? ????

Weeeeell, I had an electric fork lift, it had loads of batteries linked in series..????

Just now, transam said:

Weeeeell, I had an electric fork lift, it had loads of batteries linked in series..????

Fact.  One of my many ex Brother-in-Laws had a fork truck company in Bangkok near the airport. Around 2008 after he had been operating many years he moved to larger premises. It was rented land and his conditions of rental were to leave it as found or better.  Unfortunately over the years there was a lot of leakage and/or spillage from the pile of old lead acid batteries he had accumulated.

At the time I asked him how he was going to clean up the contamination. His was a simple solution. He concreted over the area and agreed with the owner that the site was left in better condition !!

Bet that happens a lot.

I knew car batteries were accepted at shops that sell them.  I'm more wondering about the little guys; double-A and triple-A cells.  I'll try leaving the oil out on the "curb", although it's an amber color and somebody might think it's urine.

Archived