Gerry Adams denies IRA membership

webfact

Ballymurphy inquest: Gerry Adams denies IRA membership

By Will LeitchBBC News NI

Gerry Adams has told the Ballymurphy Inquest he was not a member of the IRA. The inquest is looking into the shooting dead of 10 people in Ballymurphy, west Belfast, in 1971.

The Sinn Féin Louth TD said he believed that the Provisional IRA had decided not to engage the British Army well before civilians were shot and killed.

He said that when internment began in August 1971 he was a Sinn Féin activist but did not have direct knowledge of the Provisional IRA's actions.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48198268

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2019-05-09

39 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Rubbish. At one time Adams was PIRA's Chief of Staff

Nope. Even in the early days he was always a Sinn Fein official. Often accused that he was a Provvo and always denied it. No one has ever produced a shred of evidence that he was Provisional IRA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Always denied, but plenty of content showing Adams was involved with murders and other terror activities with both the IRA & PIRA.

Content? What content? Content put out by the British government? As I said, not a shred of evidence, just baseless accusations and rumours.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

Next move......

He was framed, wants compensation for the 'atrocities committed by Mrs Thatcher'.

Mind you, wouldn't be half wrong.

:laugh:

So do the surviving British miners and other families lives she ruined by her government actions but no chance of that ever happening either. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's not forget that Gerry Adams, was the first person to drive & place a car bomb in Belfast.

I hope the undercurrent of his defence that I perceive in this thread is incorrect.

Yup, the Blitish government did behave atrociously. We also need to remember that.

On topic though, I went to Belfast in the noughties; it's a lovely city, but I was surprised how few CCTV there was compared to the mainland.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

I hope the undercurrent of his defence that I perceive in this thread is incorrect.

I don't think anyone is defending Adams, we are just incredulous that people are naive enough to believe, with certainty, scraps of propaganda that simple logic tells us cannot be true.

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Let's not forget that Gerry Adams, was the first person to drive & place a car bomb in Belfast.

Perfect example. In all those decades of Adams being a thorn in the side of the British establishment, including being an MP for 24 years, don't you think it might have occurred to someone to, you know, prosecute him for driving around with car bombs?

Back in those days, British judges would have happily convicted him with far less certainty than you appear to have.

Again, the political and military sides of the movement had to be kept separate. Nothing to do with morals, or Adams being some sort of angel, it simply wasn't how the IRA operated.

8 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yup, the Blitish government did behave atrociously. We also need to remember that.

There were atrocities on both sides, war brings out the worse in most people. The point of the peace agreement is that you draw a line and move on. The recent prosecution of one of the British soldiers responsible for the killing of civilians on Bloody Sunday is a dumb mistake for that reason.

14 minutes ago, faraday said:

On topic though, I went to Belfast in the noughties; it's a lovely city, but I was surprised how few CCTV there was compared to the mainland.

There was very little petty crime in Northern Ireland, so, less need for CCTV. For instance, in the indigenous communities, if you tried dealing drugs you would be beaten and warned. If you persisted, you would be knee-capped and banished. Thus, the petty crime problem was mostly exported to London.

• Like 2

Some excellent posts from you @donnacha but I don't necessarily agree with all of your points & will add a few of my own:

- The rules of engagement changed as a direct result of the attack on the world trade centre in 2001. Prior to that date Britain was shit scared of NORAID & the Irish vote, even to the point where helicopters had their guns removed & hot pursuit wasn't always possible across the border. If there was a resumption in hostilities today there would be no such fear. A Brimstone could more or less be lobbed down the chimney quicker than Santa Claus (tongue-in-cheek but you get my drift) and a drone programme would see 24hrs blanket surveillance operated from establishments in mainland uk with no need for boots on the ground.

- The IRA of yesteryear was so heavily infiltrated and compromised that their only real option was to seek a political solution. Several standing jokes at the time made light of this, inc one that suggested their lunch menu had been checked for errors etc....

- If Adams wasn't a Terrorist why was he banged up in H block (HMP Long Kesh/'The Maze') and to paraphrase Basil Fawlty "Who's this then?"

Image result for gerry adams ira terrorist

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Nope. Even in the early days he was always a Sinn Fein official. Often accused that he was a Provvo and always denied it. No one has ever produced a shred of evidence that he was Provisional IRA.

McGuinness always denied it too.

If he had no connection how was he so sure that "they haven't gone away you know"?

49 minutes ago, rott said:

McGuinness always denied it too.

If he had no connection how was he so sure that "they haven't gone away you know"?

No one said that he didn't have a connection to the IRA. Sinn FEin is the political wing of the IRA. He wasn't an IRA soldier though. He didn't take part in or plan operations. No one either, has denied that Martin McGuinness was in the Provvos and did take part in operations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I've looked it up. As I said zero evidence, perhaps you could provide some?

last response as plenty of content regards these matters. Insufficient evidence for a criminal case - not exactly surprising is it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

last response as plenty of content regards these matters. Insufficient evidence for a criminal case - not exactly surprising is it. 

Plenty of content that you are unable to provide. Insufficient evidence for a criminal case and insufficient evidence for anyone to level the accusation and be taken seriously.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

So do the surviving British miners and other families lives she ruined by her government actions but no chance of that ever happening either. ????

Second, third and fourth that, bitch

Sinn Fein and the IRA are one and the same thing, different sides of the one coin.

Whether or not Adams was an active service man is difficult to prove, I do not doubt that he queried the efficacy of the "armed struggle", ie murder and mayhem.

No evidence correct, otherwise he would have done serious jail time. There is however a multitude of self confessed IRA members who have named Adams as a member of the IRA, even making decisions on the army council.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

The difference between us is that I have laid out my reasoning for my assertion that a guerilla army, up against one of the most advanced armies and intelligence services in the world, would not last very long if its secret soldiers double-job as high profile political activists.

All you have done is keep repeating your assertion, adding not one link or iota of insight that might support it. Regardless of where you have lived, and regardless of whether you read tabloids, you are uncritically repeating propaganda that is designed for a tabloid audience.

What is sad is that, if more of the British population, which still has the highest tabloid readership in the world, had learned to think critically, and seen beyond the cartoon-style propaganda that you are getting tangled up in, the Sunningdale Agreement of 1973 could have allowed us all to avoid 25 years of war in Northern Ireland. All we needed was just a drop of common sense and fairness. 

Up to you if you believe it is appropriate to insult the UK population in general, I don't.

The info I refer to is easily available, so lets cease the silliness eh? BTW I personally would not define the IRA /PIRA as a "guerilla army", the correct definition IMO is a terrorist organisation/s. However, pray tell how many active combatants did the 'guerilla army' have at any given time? More than a few terror groups have unfortunately given "advanced armies and intelligence services" grief and still do so, including in NI. Just to keep you happy a few links...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/14/police-severe-terror-threat-ira-northern-ireland-bomb-attacks

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/northern-ireland

Edited by simple1
  • Sad 1

Off topic posts, inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed. 

Posts in violation of fair use policy were removed, off topic anyway.

Posts replying to previously removed posts have been removed.  

Edited by metisdead

7 hours ago, simple1 said:

Up to you if you believe it is appropriate to insult the UK population in general, I don't.

I am British. We only hurt ourselves by indulging in lazy wartime propaganda. The vast majority of British people instinctively understood that the oppression of people on the basis of ethnicity was wrong and welcomed the peace agreement. 

7 hours ago, simple1 said:

I personally would not define the IRA /PIRA as a "guerilla army", the correct definition IMO is a terrorist organisation/s.

Terrorist is a propaganda term, all armies trade in terror. I abhor attacks on civilians but recognize that demonizing your opponents is a propaganda tactic, primarily targeting your own population, which often delays the chance of finding peace.

Remember, what really sparked the modern troubles was not some disconnected desire to be part of a united Ireland but the withholding of civil rights on the basis of ethnicity. Almost no-one alive today, apart from the unhinged or ignorant, would consider that situation fair, and not something we ourselves would accept without a fight. 

Nelson Mandela was also a "terrorist", but most people, today, agree that he did have a point.

Again, we had a 25-year war on British soil which was completely unnecessary. We had a power-sharing agreement, delivering basic civil rights, in 1974 but Conservative government of Edward Heath, already weakened by divisions over Europe, allowed the Unionists to torpedo it. 

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

However, pray tell how many active combatants did the 'guerilla army' have at any given time?

Approximately 200.

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

Just to keep you happy a few links...

Thank you. I would note that both are about today's dissident republican splinter groups that Gerry Adams worked so hard to prevent. They are tiny, poorly co-ordinated groups with little operational efficiency and practically no community support. They are explicitly opposed to Sinn Fein and Adams, believing their participation in the peace agreement to have been a betrayal.

What little momentum the dissident groups currently have stems from the fact that, once again, a weak Conservative government, divided over Europe, has allowed the Unionists to torpedo the power-sharing executive. There is also unhappiness with Brexit, which Northern Ireland voted against but will be disproportionately affected by.

Political context is less fun than propaganda but, if you want to actually solve problems, it is vital not to confuse the two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

I am British. We only hurt ourselves by indulging in lazy wartime propaganda. The vast majority of British people instinctively understood that the oppression of people on the basis of ethnicity was wrong and welcomed the peace agreement. 

Terrorist is a propaganda term, all armies trade in terror. I abhor attacks on civilians but recognize that demonizing your opponents is a propaganda tactic, primarily targeting your own population, which often delays the chance of finding peace.

Remember, what really sparked the modern troubles was not some disconnected desire to be part of a united Ireland but the withholding of civil rights on the basis of ethnicity. Almost no-one alive today, apart from the unhinged or ignorant, would consider that situation fair, and not something we ourselves would accept without a fight. 

Nelson Mandela was also a "terrorist", but most people, today, agree that he did have a point.

Again, we had a 25-year war on British soil which was completely unnecessary. We had a power-sharing agreement, delivering basic civil rights, in 1974 but Conservative government of Edward Heath, already weakened by divisions over Europe, allowed the Unionists to torpedo it. 

Approximately 200.

Thank you. I would note that both are about today's dissident republican splinter groups that Gerry Adams worked so hard to prevent. They are tiny, poorly co-ordinated groups with little operational efficiency and practically no community support. They are explicitly opposed to Sinn Fein and Adams, believing their participation in the peace agreement to have been a betrayal.

What little momentum the dissident groups currently have stems from the fact that, once again, a weak Conservative government, divided over Europe, has allowed the Unionists to torpedo the power-sharing executive. There is also unhappiness with Brexit, which Northern Ireland voted against but will be disproportionately affected by.

Political context is less fun than propaganda but, if you want to actually solve problems, it is vital not to confuse the two.

Thanks, but I am aware of the background to the Troubles i.e. leveraging catholic disenfranchisement. Again I disagree with your observations of the status of PIRA. PIRA fully meet with the criteria of a terrorist organisation. Whilst Mandela is off topic, I don't recall their deliberate targeting of civilians, I think there were few exceptions where civilians were killed, for which the ANC apologised. 

I do know political decisions are vital for resolving armed conflict, whether by terrorists or State players - about time to stop being condescending is it not. You may like to research Rand's analysis on the success or otherwise of resolving conflict by terror / 'independence' groups.

Edited by simple1

On 5/9/2019 at 6:44 AM, Spidey said:

Content? What content? Content put out by the British government? As I said, not a shred of evidence, just baseless accusations and rumours.

All those pictures of him, a young militant leader, with other young IRA leaders like McGuiness. All his speeches, his questioning and comments about the 'disappeared" etc etc etc.

And you believe him!

McGuiness came clean. Moved on. Earned a lot of respect from all sided. Adams can't help himself; and has more to hide. 

Lying POS. Remembering his whining when the PIRA scum were intercepted in Gibralta before they were able to murder innocent people. This scumbag has never moved on. 

• Like 2